"Checkers is a Fun and Fascinating Game:

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

Re: "Checkers is a Fun and Fascinating Game:

Postby Palomino on Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:58 pm

We need numbers to the questions,
Silent Checkers? Made of Rubber
Trip to Cleveland Ohio
St. Pete FL
Robert Pike
Palomino

Postby Palomino on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:01 pm

We need numbers to the questions,
Silent Checkers? Made of Rubber
Trip to Cleveland Ohio
St. Pete FL
Robert Pike
Palomino

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:06 pm

:lol: Thats a very good idea Pal and its nice to see you again. Your answers--Robert Pike gave a free checker set and board with the purchase of his book. Yes the "Silent Checkers" were made out of "Rubber". Yes the original "Checker Hall of Fame" site was "St. Petersburg, Fla". Lastly where were we visiting in Cleveland and why were we wearing "white gloves"? :lol: (cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Jason Solan on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:09 pm

Palomino wrote:We need numbers to the questions...

Perhaps a new topic per question would be even better and less confusing?
Jason Solan
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:16 pm

:lol: Thats a good idea also Jason. :lol: (cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Guest on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:58 pm

John you are correct--we were at the Cleveland Public Library where the John Whyte chess and checkers collection is housed, but what is the significance of the "white gloves"? (cont.)

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:06 am

John why this comes up as posted by Guest I have no idea. Ms. Becky

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:16 am

:lol: "Checker Trivia" Lets throw one more in here and then call it a day. Hopefully it will not be a repeat--its been a long day. During the 1970's they reproduced a wooden checker set in Colonial Williamsburg Virginia. Question: What was shown on the individual checkers? :lol: (cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

Postby Palomino on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:40 am

They are embossed with symbols of the Aesops Fables. Can you tell us, was this a common motif placed on checkers of the 17th or 18th Centuries? I would think that from that time period most checkers and boards were homemade.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Last edited by Palomino on Fri May 25, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Palomino

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:52 am

:lol: John and Pal are pretty sharp this evening. John you are correct--the oils and acids produced in ones skin speeds up the deterioration of the old paper. Pal--Aesops Fables is correct also. I will get back with you tomorrow to answer your question. Thanks to you both for participating in our "Checker Trivia" today. :lol: (cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:43 pm

:lol: Pal the fine set of 1970 wooden checkers (with Aesops Fables embossed on them) is a reproduction of the 18th century checker set that can be found in the Colonial Williamsburg museum. I am assuming that the 18th century set was also made of wood, but I am not sure. We do have two different sets of these here--one wooden--the other set is very old and looks like is is made of porcelain. :lol: (cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

Postby CheckersStrongplayer on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:12 pm

Hey "Ms.Becky" i think that i also qualified in the first type of group as well, at the age of 13 i was introduced to the game of checkers in a website called http://www.pogo.com by an old friend that i lost touch with.... We had a few problems with the ISP---AOL so we had to cut the internet connection off for over a year. I was still trying to solve commom problems about the game. Luckly i had a fairly old laptop that had Nexus on it, i tried to play with Nexus i wouldn't lose the skills that i had developed in my 13 year age stage which was amazingly high, i really did. I had skills of a master made in a year because i was so intrigued in the game of checkers, it was like you mentioned in the type 1. A player that lives to sleep, eat, etc, and play checkers 24-7. Unfortunetly i lost track of all those great skills that i developed in my firsr year, i tried to study and practice with Nexus but it was useless. Checkers even made me fail a class in my freshman year in high school because i was always thinking to play it instead of doing my school work, so i thought that i should get off from it for a while so my brain would stop thinking so much about it. Now at this time i recently started playing checkers again since about 2 months ago and i have already developed expert's skills-rating in this short time of time. Many people have told me that i will probably be the next Marion Tinsley or perhaps not that high or simply a new grandmaster that will impact history sometime in the future.

Please come and visit http://www.pogo.com we may play if you find me, i'm always playing but sometimes i'm not because mom insists that i should stop playing checkers so much but i don't take her advice, she thinks that i'll end up blind :D my screen name is immaster973 in there.
Checkers is like being in heavens.
CheckersStrongplayer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:12 pm

:lol: Listen to your parents and take your studies seriously. There is nothing better than having a good education, which will open up a lot of opportunities in life for you in the future. Establish yourself with a good education and vocation if you want to get ahead in life. Checkers is a fine game, but stating on your resume that you have 20 years of playing checkers will not open up any doors of opportunity for you I am afraid. It is a tough world out there and the ones that are best prepared educationally will be the ones that succeed. The checkers will always be there, but at this point in your life I would suggest that your studies should be your first and most important priority. Merry Christmas to you and your family. :lol: (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

Postby CheckersStrongplayer on Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:06 pm

Ok, i've changed my mind over checkers like you mentioned that i should follow my parents advices. I've heard the same speech from them before about the education and they persuaved me already, thank you very for the advices and Merry Christmas to you too and your family!!! Please come and play at http://www.pogo.com alot of strong players there.
Checkers is like being in heavens.
CheckersStrongplayer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:33 pm

:lol: Making the correct decisions today for yourself educationally will pay huge dividends for you the rest of your life. A good, solid education will give you a strong, and stable foundation on which to build every aspect of your life yet to come. Please keep this in mind--you can't go back and recapture all of the time that you waste day after day, so seriously buckle down on your studies now--to make your parents proud of you and to make yourself successful down the road for many years to come. :lol: (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

PreviousNext

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia