"Checkers is a Fun and Fascinating Game"

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Checkers is a Fun and Fascinating Game"

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:25 am

"Checkers is a Fun and Fascinating Game". Each one of you has a special checkered past, so I am sure that you have some interesting and unique checker stories that you could tell--so I would like to invited you to share them with us here. Here is one that I would like to share with you. This quiet, soft spoken checker personality learned to play checkers at an early age--playing his right hand against his left hand. At the age of 14 he stole his first car. He spent most of his time outside of school in the pool hall--he skipped alot of school. He was a good straight D-F student in school and the principal would call him into his office at least once a week to honor him before he kicked him out of school. Finally the principal kicked him out for 2 years for threatening to throw a teacher out the window. After taking the SATS tests they told him not to even bother thinking about showing up for college. His father gave him a suitcase and said there was the door--you are not going to spend the rest of your life in the pool hall and live here. So they sent him off to a religious college that didn't believe in dancing, smoking, cussing, wearing lipstick or playing cards, etc. and there was not even a pool table in the whole darn town. What as disaster that was for him. Well anyway to make a long story short he graduated with a B+ average and a triple major--history, biology and girls, but not necessarily in that order. Then he returned to teach at the very same high school that he was once a hood at years earlier. And as a sidelight to all of this he had his students playing checkers in the study halls and before and after school in the lab. He later attended graduate school majoring in biology--got married to a very intelligent and beautiful lady who finally settled him down. "Checker Triva": Who is that quiet, soft spoken gentlemen with a very "checkered past"?
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Checkers is a Fun and Fascinating Game&quo

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:44 pm

Checker cough drops, checker cigars, checker soda pop, checker chewing tobacco, checker laxatives, checker bubble gum, coke checkers, Standard Oil checkers, Campbell Soup checkers, Pepsi checkers, Gold Medal Flour checkers and the list goes on and on. Over the past 150 years practically everything that you can imagine--from soup to nuts has used checkers and checkerboards as a media to advertise their products or services. Some collectors only collect advertising checker memorabilia. On Ebay today you can find checker sets advertising most college and professional sports teams. Others advertise Hollywood characters, toy products (Barbie Dolls etc.) and many other things. But it is the older advertising checker sets and boards that are the neatest to collect. Most of the older checkerboards were made of cardboard. The graphics and other designs on them were true works of art. Even the pictures on the boxes that the checkerboards and checkers came in were also works of art. The checkers themselves carried the logos of the manufacturers products or they were ornately designed. Hanging on the wall in our museum is one of the most beautiful checkerboards that one would ever what to see. The graphics shown on it are outstanding. It advertises a cartoon character that has brought laughter to ones heart many years ago and one still smiles today just thinking about him. So lets start our day out right with a smile. "Checker Trivia" question: Who was that strong, spinach eating, cartoon character from many years ago? (cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:26 pm

We are truly blessed and we feel very proud with all the checker memorabilia here in our museum. Loving gifts of money and checker memorabilia have made this all possible for us. One of the unique monetary gifts (that decorates one of the walls here) is a $100 check which was presented to us many years ago. What was unusal about a check you may ask?--. It was presented to us and written on the account of the United States House of Representatives. (cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Many people that visit us here on the ACF Forum also can be found bidding on checker memorabilia on Ebay (using different ID's of course). As I mentioned before many bidders buy checker memorabilia for different reasons, such as this fellow that I will tell you about now. Several years ago I found myself into some hot and heavy bidding against a fellow from California that I did not know and had never heard of before. He would outbid me time after time on beautiful checker memorabilia. One day I contacted him to see if he collected checkers. He responded and said yes he did , but he did not play the game. He explain that when he was a little boy he loved to play the game, but now he did not have the time to do so. He went on to say that he had a special room in his home in which he displayed all of the fine checker sets that he purchased--which for him brought back many good boyhood memories. (cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:08 pm

This 19th century sculptor in the 1870's gave us one of the most beautiful pieces of checker sculpture ever to be seen anywhere. His name was John Rogers. "Checker Trivia" What is the name of his beautiful checker sculptured work of art? (cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Palomino on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:45 pm

Checkers sets have often been produced for the fans of popular TV shows and personalities, there are checkers sets for the fans of "I LOVE LUCY" for example and the movie "THE LITTLE MERMAID" but I think the best of them all was the POPEYE CHECKERBOARD and POPEYE CHECKERS produced in 1959 by the IDEAL Toy Company.
IDEAL also produced a checkers set in 1960 for the fans of the popular TV Western Series, "PALADIN" which stared the 7th generation nephew of America's most famous frontier trailblazer "Daniel Boone".
img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3273/3067948689_2c61e4d3b9_o.jpg[/img] Image
"Pal" Bucker
Last edited by Palomino on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Palomino

Postby Palomino on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:50 pm

"CHECKERS UP AT THE FARM " by sculptor John Rogers
Last edited by Palomino on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Palomino

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:17 pm

Pal that is close enough--John Rogers sculpture was "Checkers Up on the Farm". This sculptured piece should be part of every players collection of checker memorabilia. And the spinach eating character, which most of us loved was "Popeye" the Sailor Man. The graphics on the cover of the "Popeye" checker set are beautiful indeed. The other checker set that you referred to was "Have Gun Wll Travel". (cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia