My Withdrawal From The Checker World

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

My Withdrawal From The Checker World

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:28 pm

It has doubtless become common knowledge through the grapevine of checkers that comments were recently made about me at this Forum concerning the Patricia Breen versus Jan Mortimer match of 2005.
It was stated that I "ruined" Jan Mortimer's chances of winning the title because I had "bombed" her with emails and 'phone calls prior to the match.
As Jan's unofficial coach I felt it was my incumbent duty to provide her with as much information and advice as possible so far as preparation was concerned. It was therefore necessary for me to email her from time to time in this regard, but by no stretch of the imagination did I "bomb" her with emails or 'phone calls. After all, email is the fastest and indeed chief means of communication in this modern day. One does not utilise carrier pigeons any longer!
Since I have been presented with a guilt trip concerning Jan's defeat against Patricia I feel the time has come to leave the world of checkers once and for all.
I have enjoyed playing in tournaments over thirty-three years and meeting many wonderful people.
It is sincerely hoped that I shall not be remembered (if remembered at all!) as the person who "ruined" another player's chances of becoming world champion.
Lindus Edwards

Re: My Withdrawal From The Checker World

Postby matthewkooshad on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:58 pm

Lindus, you are confusing to me sometimes! Are you quitting or staying with checkers? I hope you keep playing :!: It's a good game to play to keep your mind sharp. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, then stay away from or ignore 'em. If someone says something false about you and you can't correct it in one breath, then ignore it and move on. You are too good of a person to let unbeneficial thoughts worry you. Keep ya head up and I hope you stay with checkers as I need revenge for our last game :!: :D
matthewkooshad

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:34 pm

Hi Matthew,

What a really nice guy you are. Thank goodness for players like you.
A few moments ago I received a message from my most dear and loyal friend, Jan Mortimer, who said that if I give up playing checkers then so she will too. To me that is loyalty of the first order and is a rare thing these days.
In consideration of your words and those of Jan's I have decided to continue playing as long as I can.
Yes, I shall serve as Jan's unofficial coach for her next big match. I shall be highly honoured to do so.
And yes Matthew you can have a chance to get even for that win I scored against you :lol:
I am proud to know you.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Palomino on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:17 am

Lindus, I hope you are not serious about this, when this first came up Jan dismissed it, and only Jan can be the judge of whither or not contact with her affected her play. I look at the accusations of a bombardment of e-mails and phone calls as silly, not only does that seem like exaggerated speculation, even if it were true how does anyone know that Jan read them. Alex may well be correct in saying (in a general sense) that contact from family, friends, media or a coach can distract a player and affect their play adversely but surely there are some players that thrive on extra encouragement and support. How am I or anyone else to know if Jan is such a person, I leave it up to Jan to be the best judge of that and if she still has faith and trust in you (and i'm sure she does) it's good enough for me and should be good enough for you. Jan is worthy of your
support and mentoring now, just as she has been in the past. I could go on and on but I'm just going to leave it here and ask you to not throw in the towel now or ever, just keep doing what you are so good at.

Best to you in whatever you decide to do,

"Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:42 am

Thank you so much Pal for your words of wisdom. Clearly you are a very wise man.
Jan sent me the most wonderful message which touched me deeply. What a lovely lady she is.
I will definitely continue playing and helping any player who thinks I can be of assistance.
It is so good and so comforting to know there are many great people out there in the world of checkers.
Lindus Edwards

lindus

Postby kiwinurse on Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:00 am

You have good friends and admirerers in the checker world including myself.I will be very honoured and feel very priviledged to coach me this coming year,not for a minute did you have a negative effect on my matches,so dont let one miserable person affect your play,or let them have that much power over you, you are worth more than that. your friend Jan
kiwinurse

Re;My withdrawal from the Checker World

Postby liam stephens on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:37 am

Yes, Lindus do not allow a single person, however illmannered, to deflect you from your chosen path in life. I too have suffered from the slings and arrows cast, but will refuse to allow that to interfere with the enjoyment of "innocent and useful amusements".

When I read of all your peace efforts, the apologies you made to anyone you might possibly have offended and your deletion of all those posts, I was hopeful of a lasting truce and closure on the affair. But, lo and behold, in his very next post the debate was reopened.

If this forum has descended to the level of a cesspit, there is now, but one person who is responsible for that. I have to say that the continual onslaught against Jan Mortimer's character and good name is appaling.
I also have to say that I find it sad that not one person in the ACF official hierarchy has had the courage to say to their errant champion "desist from these scurrilous attacks".

I believe King Henry II of England had a word for it:

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest"
liam stephens

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:53 pm

Wow, what a magnificent writer you are Liam. I wish I possessed your magnificent command of the English language.
Thank you so much for your kindhearted words.
To Jan I say this:- I shall always be your friend for you have touched me deeply with your kind ways, your lovely disposition and your ability to survive "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune."
Lindus Edwards

Re: My withdrawal from the Checker World

Postby liam stephens on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:41 pm

Well Lindus, not so magnificent here, as I see I omitted a letter 'l' from the word appalling! Great to know you will not be leaving us afterall.
liam stephens

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:58 pm

Lindus and Jan. You have many friends and admirers in the checkers world. I certainly hope you both keep playing. But in this life we all need to realize that we have limitations. No, not in terms of achievements in checkers. I think Jan is capable of reaching the top, and I hope Lindus is coaching her when she gets there. But what is a useless apiration, because none of us can do it, is pleasing everybody.

Reading Alex's posts I cannot tell if he thinks Lindus is a bad coach or if he thinks coaching can make a player too dependent on the style of his instructor instead of the player depending his or her own. The way Alex expresses his views sounds offensive to me, but as English is not my native language either, I will not judge what Alex's intentions were.

I once did poorly in a chess tournament and a friend blamed the fact that I had trained using the computer program Fritz. Well, being a computer program, Fritz did not take personal offense, and I guess I was thankful that he did not attribute my poor performance to the fact that at my age I am past my prime.

My point is that Alex has his own views of how a person best prepares for a match. He also has his own style of writing, possibly influenced by both personality and nationality. They are his views,
and if I have not argued with him (and I can be very argumentative by nature) it is because I still am not sure of what he is saying.

But of one thing I am certain. The world of checkers will be poorer if Jan and Lindus should quit. Rather than quit checkers, they should instead quit thinking that they can please everybody. That they never will.
Pedro Saavedra

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:20 pm

It is refreshing to read the posts of savants - especially so after being assailed in the most derogatory fashion by persons with a penchant for domination!
Admittedly, I posted impetuously on more than one occasion and I apologised for this, with not a word of apology in return!
Lindus Edwards

Postby hans on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:38 am

hans

Postby Lindus Edwards on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:26 pm

Hans, it is so good to see you back. Thank you so much for that lovely tribute which I appreciate so much at this time.
Nothing gives me more pleasure than to see young players battling it out in tournaments at Kurnik. The standard of play - at such high speed - is indeed impressive and for players so young one can only but marvel at them. Surely a future world champion will come forth from there 8)
I shall look forward to playing in the Kurnik tournament.
Once again, thank you so much Hans.
Lindus Edwards

Postby chipschap on Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:21 pm

Jan and Lindus, I consider you both to be true champions both on and off the board. You are wonderful ambassadors for our game and represent us all with honor, dignity, and grace. I am honored to know you. I hope you will both be around for many years to come.
chipschap

Postby Lindus Edwards on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:56 pm

Thank you Bob for your kind remarks. Jan and I appreciate this very much.
We also hope you will be around for a very long time.
Lindus Edwards

Return to General Discussion