The history of a book...

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

The history of a book...

Postby Jay H on Fri May 11, 2007 10:42 pm

Greetings All,
As a player and a collector, I have purchased many books over the years.... and one thing that has always interested me is the history of the book itself...not just the story "behind the scenes" of the creation of the book, but the history of the book that you are holding in your hands at the moment, where has this book been, who owned this book before you, how did this book end up here, in this spot.......
Alot of times, one can get an idea by looking at the book itself, look for inscriptions, names written inside the covers, notes and corrections written within the text of the play, ......to me, this is one of the most fascinating components of collecting, ( as opposed to just studying the books for play).
I recently purchased a few books from Mr. Dennis Cayton, and during the course of our correspondence, I mentioned this to him.....and I mentioned a book that I had, which I have included a picture of below...
I am sure many of the mail players from a few years ago will remember Venice Ryan, and anyone interested in the history of this game will remember the name of Manson Teetzel.....
This book now has a history.....I know that this was there, at that time, it then went through the hands of Paul Ottey, then was owned by Earl Hangen, and now by myself.....

In the name of checkers history, I'll ask anyone with a library to look at their books, see if they can find anything, and share their findings with the rest of us.....
Regards,
Jay
Last edited by Jay H on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Re: The history of a book...

Postby Jay H on Fri May 25, 2007 11:54 am

Greetings All,
Nobody wants to "bite" on this thread...?
I'll keep going, here are a few more interesting ones from my collection...
First, ......
the story as far as I know it, .....When my freind Earl Hangen gave me the book "CHECKERSIGHT", (please see the thread on the Checkers Trivia Board), he also gave me this booklet..... He (Earl) had spoken quite a bit, and corresponded with John Caldwell himself, but I do not believe that Earl got this book from Caldwell, as it is personalized to a J. W. Peterson, thanking him for helping him (Caldwell)organize his library.

Mr. Checkers, if you are there, perhaps you could help us with some other info on this subject...(?) Correct me if I am wrong, but did'nt you somewhere along the line end up with a portion Caldwell's library...?

Second,
This one was given to Earl by Paul Ottey, this one I purchased at the sale of Earl's books......

I wanted to post this one for Liam, specially, since he scored on my trivia question......

Third,
This one was also Earl's, however, it was left behind at his home to be TRASHED...(!! Yes, this, among other books, were going to be trashed by the auctioneer, who did not see these items as being worthy to sell at auction)

It do not know if Mr. Bishop was at the WCM between these two other legends, and I do not know for sure, but it seems to me that this may have been signed at that time...(?)

Anbody else have anything to share...?

Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby liam stephens on Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Thank you Jay - a very interesting posting.

There is an amusing story regarding the publication of
Draughts an Introduction to Championship Play.
In the first print run the diagram on the back page cover was printed upside down in error, and had to be corrected for the subsequent printing.
So, there are two versions of the book and the first print is the rarer of the two ( there were only a small no of "incorrect" copies printed) and probably difficult to find.
liam stephens

Postby Jay H on Fri May 25, 2007 1:45 pm

Greetings Liam,
I hope I am not "overstepping" by posting this...i.e., in regards to the copyright warning.... if so, I will remove it. Let me know...

Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby liam stephens on Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 pm

Hello Jay,

I don't think you need worry about that, it is just the standard copyright
statement that appears in most books to prevent unauthorised copies of the book being issued. I certainly have no objection to your posting.

Regards - Liam.
liam stephens

Postby Jay H on Fri May 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Liam,
Thanx for the blessing on the posting......and the info on the book. !!!!
I was not aware of the "misprint" on the first printing. I have two copies, and both look to have the correct picture, the Red pieces being closest.
So, both must be second printings........ an EXCELLENT book BTW !!!
Thanx again !!
Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby Mr. Checkers on Fri May 25, 2007 6:09 pm

:lol: Jay, John Caldwell bestowed his entire checker library to us many years ago. :lol: "Mr. Checkers
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Jay H on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Greetings All...!!!
Here is another interesting book, with a history. (Sorry about the poor contrast....but it was the only way I could make it visible)
The story as far as I know it.....
I purchased this book, a bound copy of the first 8 issues of the " New Zealand Draughts Review" at the sale of my friend Earl Hangen's books ,
Image,

From what I can tell, Tom Wiswell was at a PA. State tourney in 1957, and brought this book along to present to the winner.... "Presented as a special prize...July 4th, 1957"
He probably left on the same day, and it was a 4 day tourney, as it states "won at PA. State Tourney July 4-5-6-7, 1957". ( Imagine that...a FOUR DAY STATE TOURNEY !!!)

Sadly, I do not recognize the name of the winner......but, after that, this book ended up in Paul Ottey's library, and then Earl's, and now in mine....somewhat of a history....
Comments encouraged, welcomed and appreciated...!!!
With all of my regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Mr. Checkers,
"Jay, John Caldwell bestowed his entire checker library to us many years ago"

I thought that was the scenario....thanx !!! Do you have any information on Mr.J. W. Peterson...? , who was obviously a friend of Mr. Caldwell's...?

Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:26 am

Greetings All...!!!
Here is another of Earl's I recently purchased... A bound copy of British Draughts Journal..... I am pretty sure Earl got this one from Paul Ottey, but that still does not explain how it ended up over here in the USA. :?
This looks like it may have been passed around at a tourney, as there are MANY sigs. Lots of famous names on here...I recognize quite a few, but not all, of them.....perhaps my fellow checkerists on the eastern edge of the pond will recognize some of these...?

Love the poem...
" Upon life's checkerboard we play,
our varied moves from day to day.
But on the silent mystic squares,
we find contentment from our wares.
So full of beauty, joy and fame,
we bind sweet friendship in our game."....
I cannot quite make out the rest...
Again, maybe this is a standard "checkeristic" poem I am unfamiliar with, or something British...(?)

The March-April, 1952 cover date is from the first issue in the book, but I believe this book to have been passed around in 1954.....

Comments welcomed, encouraged and appreciated !!!!!
Regards,
Jay H
Last edited by Jay H on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:55 am

And here is one more for the weekend.....I am posting this one because it is hilarious.....again, another one of Ottey's that went through Earl's hands, and now mine.
And it can also be seen that this book was owned by R.B. Weir( on the back cover H. B. Weir... :? )
With all apologies to Mr. Clow and Mr. Hall, Mr. Weir makes his opinion of the book known to future checkerists..... :P

Comments welcomed, encouraged and appreciated !!!!!

:thumbup:
Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby Bob Murr on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:33 am

Thank you Jay, I really enjoy seeing these little bits of Checker history. I also have several books that have signatures of players from the past and will always treasure them.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Jay H on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:49 am

Thanx Bob,
That is what I see when I look at these books, little pieces of checker history.
Why don't you jump on board this thread with some of yours...?
I would love to see them!!!!

Thanx again,
Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby Bob Murr on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:30 am

I wish I could, I just tried to scan and found that my scanner is not working. We have had some lightning storms in the past few days and apparently the power supply is toast. I'll try to get it replaced and then try again.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

The British Draughts Journal

Postby liam stephens on Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:31 am

A lot of well known names from the UK in that posting Jay. I knew players such as Jack Latham, Sid Leschinsky and George Smith who were in the London Draughts Association. as I lived in London for many years. I see Derek Oldbury
liam stephens

Next

Return to Checker Sharing