CHECKERSIGHT...something really NEW in Checkers (circa 1981)

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

CHECKERSIGHT...something really NEW in Checkers (circa 1981)

Postby Jay H on Wed May 23, 2007 6:37 pm

Greetings All,
Many years ago, when I first discovered "organized checkers", I asked my friend Earl Hangen if there were any systems, or any proven methods of learning the game . Of course, he told me study endings, published play, etc.
He then chuckled and showed me this..........

Published in 1981, by V.F. Volk
It gives explanations about how the brain can process patterns, formulas, etc., and suggests that, by studying these charts, one would be able to remember the patterns of many standard positions ( many more of which are included), ......
"With Checkersight, by an action similiar to reading, one can review a line of play twenty or thirty times in the course of a few minutes, and fix it permanently in his memory---a process that would be impratically tedious to play out, that many times, on a board."

He gave it to me, and told me to try it and see if I could make anything of it.
I took it home, looked at it for a few nights, and put it away. That was 22 years ago...(!)
I have recently been digging through some of my old boxes, and found it....
And I wondered, has anyone here ever seen this before ? And if so, have they ever used it to any degree of success...?
Thanx...

Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Re: CHECKERSIGHT...something really NEW in Checkers (circa 1

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed May 23, 2007 7:36 pm

:lol: Jay this is a seldom seen piece of checker literature that ranks up there with Huston's--"Silent Teacher" in that it drew very little attention from the checker community--and only a few copys of it were ever sold. Today it is basically of interest to collectors today. :lol: "Mr. Checkers"
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Wed May 23, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Jay H on Wed May 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Greetings Mr. checkers,
Thanx for the info on this....very interesting. It is somewhat of an oddity for sure......
Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed May 23, 2007 7:57 pm

Horrible and extremely hopeless ! :twisted:

I would personally try to stay away from any of such literature. Diagrams are important, but they should be given only at critical moments of the game. Giving diagram after each move breaks the whole idea and my brain !

Instead remember the idea how to win, this book now force me to remember each move.

Diagram (every diagram !) 100% grabs my attention and take it away from understanding - what I am doing and where I am going.

To learn 1st position you need 2-3 diagrams only, no more.

You did a right thing 22 years ago by threwing it away :lol: And today you have collectable item !

Just my personal opinion,

Sincerely,

Alex Moiseyev
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Jay H on Wed May 23, 2007 9:06 pm

Mr. Alex Moiseyev,
Thanx very much for your very highly regarded opinion on this.
PM sent
Regards,
Jay H
Jay H

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia