For Mr. Checkers, Fernie Moffett

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

For Mr. Checkers, Fernie Moffett

Postby Jay H on Sun May 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Greetings Mr. Checkers and all my fellow checkerists....
Some newspaper articles on Lancaster County PA legend Fernie MoffettImage

These are several years old, as can be seen from the dates in the articles.
I had never met Fernie in person, although I had spoken with him on the telephone, during a visit to Earl Hangen's home during the mid-eighties. I did play him in some mail matches, and managed to score a win from him in one game. When discussing checkers with my friends, I would tell them that I won a game from the PA State champion, and this would always get some ohhhs and ahhhs.
I asked Fernie if he minded that I was "bragging" in such a manner, and he told me absolutely not, and that I SHOULD be proud of the win...!!
A great supporter of our game, and a great man.
Gone but never forgotten,
RIP Fernie
Regards,
Jay
Jay H

Re: For Mr. Checkers, Fernie Moffett

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun May 06, 2007 12:49 pm

:lol: What a difference two weeks make!! Jay you will really never know what this means to me for it brings back many wonderful memories of times long gone by. Fernie was one of those rare people who had a heart of gold and he would do anything for you. He had a special way about him that would make you laugh and his stories would keep you on the edge of your seat wondering what was coming next. He was one of those few that knew many of the oldtime checker players as well as the checker greats and he could tell you more stories about them then one could ever read in any checker books. Jay thank you for making this day special for me. Take care and God Bless. :lol: "Mr. Checkers"
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Palomino on Sun May 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Jay

The articles are great fun to read, thanks a bunch for sharing them with us.

Regards, "Pal"
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby Jay H on Sun May 06, 2007 2:33 pm

"Mr. Checkers" wrote::lol: What a difference two weeks make!! Jay you will really never know what this means to me for it brings back many wonderful memories of times long gone by. Fernie was one of those rare people who had a heart of gold and he would do anything for you. He had a special way about him that would make you laugh and his stories would keep you on the edge of your seat wondering what was coming next. He was one of those few that knew many of the oldtime checker players as well as the checker greats and he could tell you more stories about them then one could ever read in any checker books. Jay thank you for making this day special for me. Take care and God Bless. :lol: "Mr. Checkers"

Mr. Checkers,
I don't understand the two week difference reference, but I am glad I could bring some brightness to your day...!!!!
I have many more articles on other players...if interested in seeing them, let me know, and I will post them.
Regards,
Jay
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Sun May 06, 2007 2:34 pm

Palomino wrote:Jay

The articles are great fun to read, thanks a bunch for sharing them with us.

Regards, "Pal"

Pal,
Glad you enjoy them....as stated in my previous post, I have more...
Regards,
Jay
Jay H

Postby Palomino on Sun May 06, 2007 2:43 pm

Jay,

I would love to see more and I'm sure others would also enjoy reading the them.
JR Smith posts every news article he gets his hands on at his website http://www.nccheckers.org/ and I read them all.

Regards, "Pal"
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 am

:lol: They should honor Fernie at the years Pa. State Checker Tournament. :lol: "Mr. Checkers"
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Return to Checker Sharing