Urgent message for Alan Millhone

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Urgent message for Alan Millhone

Postby liam stephens on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:20 pm

Yes, Lindus,

An absolutely shameful and disgraceful allegation for which there is no evidence whatsoever. It is also deeply insulting to Jan Mortimer.
I sincerely hope that Alan Millhone will take positive action on your complaint.
liam stephens

Re: Urgent Message for Mr Alan Millhone.

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:33 am

I want to put in my two bits on the dispute, but I am addressing only the immediate issue (not any other posts that any party may have issued).

Suppose Alex had said, "I believe that being coached by Lindus was counterproductive for Jan. What one needs in preparing for a match is isolation and not frequent contact with a coach, in person or by e-mail, as this can be distracting." Some of us (myself included) would have strongly disagreed with him, but I do not think any of us would have called it slander.

So the question is whether this is all Alex meant to say. Is the use of words like "ruined" and "bombed" merely a case of culture gap? I quoted Alex's message to a friend who is a Russian emigree. He found the language far less offensive than I did. But sitting back and trying to read Alex's message dispassionately (and I consider Lindus and Jan friends, and it is hard to be dispassionate where friends are attacked) I have to wonder how much of the offensive tone that comes through is cultural.

I am well aware that Alex has made other posts that seem quite offensive. I am not about to make an analysis of each, and I have not followed those. But as far as this one is concerned, maybe he intended to say what I suggested in my second paragraph. He can tell us now, of course, if that is what he meant to say, and perhaps somebody can explain to him (preferably in private) the connotations of the language he used.
Pedro Saavedra

Re: Urgent Message for Mr Alan Millhone.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:57 pm

Lindus Edwards wrote: ... missing at least seven wins! This was not due to poor coaching.

OK, this is most important and informative statement I find in your post.

Missing wins is very serious problem and becomes common for everyone. I absolutely agree with you - that this is not related to coaching.

"WIN WINS" also is my own weakness and I am trying to improve it. I will post later a full complete serious analysing about this issue in separate post, not in this topic - with explanation of my own views and methods. I hope it maybe interesting also for everyone who wants to improve.

Thanks for your detail explanation about coaching. It was very interesting and personally - I think you did an excellent work on your part.

Not playing to high potential

could be another serious issue which can be improved. There are several technics to handle this and reach the best physical and mental form prior match started.

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to General Discussion