NWDF Newsletter No2

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

NWDF Newsletter No2

Postby tommyc on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:18 pm

News from Ireland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Re: NWDF Newsletter No2

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Tommy, thanks for sharing this with us.

I found in Newsletter one interesting position which was also published in Sixth.

On Pg. 20 of the NWDF Newsletter there is position on diagram.

Red to move
9-14* 19-10 2-6

I played this move, 2-6 (instead better 9-14) against Elbert Lowder in our 2002 historical World Title match. I really don't understand why it's marked as star in Newsletter, because it looks natural to me. 2-7 appears to be weaker, because after this move red gets a serious problem with communications between flanks.

However in Sixth, Pg. 194, Diagram 257 I mentioned, that instead 2-6 red has much more accurate move here: 9-14* x 2-6 which prevents white 21-17.

All after all, white earlier 24-20 instead 24-19 doesn't give them more advantage then PP allows and in fact - red can equalize the game after this which happened in my game with Elbert (even without 9-14).

Sincerely,

Alex Moiseyev
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Yes we were aware that the 914 waiter is in vogue too(and even better than 2-6), either way draws i take your point. What was being demonstated in the Newsletter was the fruits of the 2-6 perhaps without the Star*and the troubles of the 2-7??

Yes overall 914 gives red the better position!!

As for thanking me for sharing this well to be honest i seen too many top end players failing to share with their lesser counterparts, which is a sin in my book and i would have to include in this band "the" great man Himself Tinsley.In my opinion he took everything to the grave with him which is a travesty for the advancement of draughts. He could has passed on his legacy but choose not too.

I know he gave stuff to Lafferty but he died also and the whereabouts of Tinsleys Manuscripts are still unknown.We need this written /spoken history of the man and the path to how he somehow achieved so much.
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:10 pm

tommyc wrote:i seen too many top end players failing to share with their lesser counterparts, which is a sin in my book and i would have to include in this band "the" great man Himself Tinsley.In my opinion he took everything to the grave with him

This is quite discussing :lol: We'll talk about this later.

All I can say for now - from live players today Richard Fortman may still hold some Tinsley stuff (he continue to publish them in MCA Newsletter occasionly) and James Morrison may have things from Don Lafferty which include M. Tinsley heritage.

Jim later games in 2000's indicates this.

In addition, Chinook "inside opening book" has many Tinsley corrections to publised play along with many unpublished M. Tinsley games.

Don Lafferty also shared many things with WCC in 1996-1998 and Ed Trice might be another owner of hidding secrets.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:32 pm

:lol: Tommy's comments are "old news" to most of us that have been part of the checker community for many years. 30 years ago several articles were written concerning those top players mentioned not sharing their checker knowledge with the rest of the checker fraternity. It was stated then that this would lead to the decline of checkers, which it has (two thirds of the membership then are no longer with us today for one reason or another--and a great deal of beneficial checker knowledge has departed with them). Contributions made while one is still living are of a much greater value and not the same as the knowledge retrieved later from what was left behind (after one has passed away). Alex has made it a part of his mission in life to share his knowledge with the rest of the checker community, which has set him apart from other former checker greats of the past. :lol: "Inky"
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby tommyc on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Yes i agree Ms B.........Alex is one of the modern day top class players who are sharing their knowledge.Fair play to them,we need that to sustain standards.
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:55 pm

Huh !

Now we convicted unfortunate M Tinsley. How far we can go ???

Every Champion brings something unique to checkers. Compare different contributions from different people is the same as compare apples and oranges.

Long, Hellman, Tinsley, Oldbury, King - each of them contributed to checkers in their own way. No one is perfect and can do everything at the same time. Some Champions just played only and set a high standards and level of play.

M. Tinsley and other "Champions - players" just left us their games. All you need to do - spend your time and study.

Remember - there were no computers and checkers programs 40-50 years ago. To write a good book may take 5-7 years. So - what should we win and lose, if player like M. Tisnley sacrifice on his study and activity, and instead wrote a book (s) ? Would checkers be at higher level than we have today ?

Losing membership has nothing to do with "hidding secrets". Each top player came his/her own way to master the game. You cannot speed this process and skip some steps. That will be wasting time.

There is no secrets in the game. Study it and all doors and secrets will be open for you.

Sincerely,

Alex Moiseyev
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:55 am

Alex is all very well shouting from the top of the heap!!.
tommyc

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:52 am

Very well done, Tommy!

I liked the pictorial reports, and hope that you continue to do the good work like this!

Greetinx from Dortmund,

Germany,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:47 am

:lol: Alex the facts speak for themselves. No one is convicting Marion, Don or anyone else of anything--they are just stating things the way they are or were long before you came on the checker scene. All of us can do more if we set our minds to do so--I certainly wish that I could. I have told you many times to share your game knowledge with others; such as with our young people in the schools. You choose to write a book, which is a step in the right direction. Take a look at all of the recognition that you have received from your writing--then erase it all and see how others view your accomplishments. Leaving ones games behind for future generations to study is fine if one has the access to them (which in many cases they don't) but to share that knowledge throughout the checker community while one is still living is a completely different story. You of all people should realize this since you are bombarded daily with questions about this move or that position etc. etc. I agree with you in that great men do great things in different ways--"to each his own cup of tea". Some have done it openly like yourself while others have done it quietly. With computers coming on the scene players expect the answers to come instantly, if not sooner--studying a checker book is foreign and unnecessary to them. Earlier generations of great checker players did not have to deal with that kind of situation because books were the tools of their game and they were willing to study them from cover to cover. Tom Wiswell once told me that if he ever could master all the the checker material just found in the Lees' Guide that he would be the undisputed world champion. My advice, that I have shared with you many times before, would still be to "create positive situations for checkers and don't waste your time dwelling on the negatives" that may come along from time to time. Life is just to short!! :lol: "Inky"
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby tommyc on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Thank you Ms B............
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:10 pm

Thanks Ingo, hope you enjoy and if you would like a hard copy i can add you to the new members.

News from Germany is very welcome too, so dont hesitate to send something in for print.
tommyc

Return to Checker Sharing