"Feeling Guilty"?--Yes--answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Feeling Guilty"?--Yes--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:33 pm

:lol: The other day we purchased a very beautiful set of checkers for a more than reasonable price (this is not the general rule of the way things go). So we were very happy about that. Upon receiving this nice purchase we should have been elated and to some degree we were, but at the same time we felt a bit quilty in knowing that what we had purchased was not what it was advertised to be. I felt that we should return it, so I contacted the seller to explained what the situation was concerning this lovely checker set, which had been past down from his grandfather to his father and then to him. I told him that they had very good taste checkers and I offered to return them if he so desired. He understood what I was saying and asked me to feel blessed with them. He was happy that they were going to have a good home. "Checker Trivia" questions of the Day"? This beautiful checker set that he sold us was very expensive and rare. What material was it made of and how could he have known? :lol: "Inky" (cont. but when I do not know)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Very likely it was real catalin

Postby chipschap on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:47 am

Real catalin checkers, not plastic or something called catalin but really something different? They go for quite a high price. Real catalin is semi-translucent, but as it darkens with age this becomes harder to use as a test. Here are some test methods I found elsewhere. These tests don't distinguish Bakelite from Catalin, however Bakelite has a filler mixed in with it and won't have the color characteristics of Catalin.

Method #1:

1. Dip a cotton swab in 409 household cleaner and touch a small area of the piece, such as a back that won't be visible.
2. If the piece is vintage Bakelite or Catalin, the accumulated patina will show up as a yellow stain on the cotton swab.
3. Rinse the cleaner off the tested spot right away.

Method #2
Rub the Catalin/Bakelite with your finger until it gets warm. Then you should smell a sulfer/formalehyde scent on the finger if it's Catalin or Bakelite.

Method #3:
Some recommend placing the Catalin or Bakelite in hot water, then remove and sniff. Warmed it smells like camphor.
chipschap

Re: "Feeling Guilty"?--Yes

Postby Bob Murr on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:52 am

ivory? I have seen some beautiful sets sell quite high.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:48 am

:lol: Bob your "Ivory" answer is 100% correct, but how could he have known that it was "Ivory"? Also a set of "Catalin" checkers sold yesterday for $152.50 and there was nothing fancy about them. Many jewelers buy them to make jewelry I am told. :lol: "Inky" (cont. but I don't know when)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Bob Murr on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:39 pm

As to the 2nd part of the question, Ivory has growth rings like the rings of a tree, if you look closely, you can see the rings and know it is ivory.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:03 pm

:lol: Now I was thinking that if your doorbell rang and you opened the door to find an elephant standing there with only one tusk and a mean glare in his eyes that perhaps his missing tusk ended up becoming your checker set. But your answer Bob is certainly a more reasonable one; plus far less dangerous. :lol: "Inky" (cont. but when I do not know)
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Feeling Guilty"?--Yes--answer

Postby EdTrice on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:16 am

Well if you're feeling super-guilty, you can always pay about $5000 and get a set made out of Wooly Mammoth Ivory. They won't come ring your doorbell, and since they are certainly extinct, it is not illegal to have this kind of ivory.
--Ed
EdTrice

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia