Guest posters at " Folded Boards"

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Guest posters at " Folded Boards"

Postby Alan Millhone on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:12 pm

Hello forum users:

There has been some discussion (emails to me) about persons being allowed to post as 'guests'. This is only allowed on " Folded Boards" and this section was set up as a 'dump place' to keep all non-checker related posts,etc. in one location. It also allows a passerby to ask a question without having to sign up.

How do each of you feel about this 'guest' and 'passerby' options?

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
Alan Millhone
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: Guest posters at " Folded Boards"

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:25 pm

Alan, on my opinion guests posters shall not be allowed, unless you prove worthy of these posts, and/or explain me benefits. It is well proved on BBS that people post anonimously only for negatives or critics, when they want to keep a "clear respectable face" and ashamed to post under their real names.

I am very surprise and disappoined that ACF forum allows anonimous posts. I would recommend you go through all posts under "BBS" topic in this forum and show me one single post, which is benefit this forum and / or checkers ?

If we lose these posts - we lose nothing. This forum not "like BBS", and not suppose to be. If you are huntung for many thousand junk posts and million hits, the - YES, you should allow everything for anyone.

Most contributors to the "BBS" topic never post in other categories.

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

guest postings

Postby kiwinurse on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 pm

Well unless you want no freedom of speech,guests should be allowed to post.They were told they were welcome and now they told only under the conditions of alexs approval. How do you earn the right to post, by not posting anything that contradicts anybody?Even in America George Bush is criticised and allows criticism,people do not have to earn the right or be good citizens to publish freely.If the guests publish rubbish,we all know whats right and whats wrong,and will discern accordingly,or do we not have the intellectual capability to do that?
kiwinurse

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:46 pm

:lol:
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Checkers

Postby Jason Solan on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:07 pm

The only sub-forum that allows for "anonymous" postings is the "Folded Boards" section. I left it this way so that any common visitor could ask a quick question without going through the daunting task of getting registered.

While i knew this would perpetuate the onslaught of anon posters that 'plagued' George's BBS, i had hoped that most people would ignore them and use the other sections of the forum for the intellectual conversations they claim that they desire.

It appears as though my thought may be wrong and the very people that speak out about anonymous posters refuse to let the devices to themselves.

Alex and others who do not like "Guest" posters, post in the General Discussion forum. Do not respond to guests in the folded boards section if you do not want to deal with them..

A HUGE difference between George's BBS is that you have the option of posting in places where anon's are simply NOT ALLOWED

There is more than one section in the forum. Use them.
Jason Solan
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:28 pm

Jason, you certainly open "Pandora Box" :lol: and I would predict that eventually this free sections will overhurt , erose and damage the whole forum :twisted: I wish I am wrong with this. Allowing miserable people to contribute to miserable topics is worthless and don't make this forum any better than other common site forums like yahoo, aol, etc
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby hans on Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:19 am

I agree with Jan and Jason. I am for allowing Guest posts.
I would even allow all sections to be open but as an intermediate solution only allowing it in some sections seems OK.

I think it's important to point out this board, despite its features, is only gaining momentum now because the BBS is shut down :!: If the BBS would be still up and running I most likely would be checking that one more frequently than this one. Remember the last time the ACF forum was launched?

I also object the generalization that all outside posts are bad and evil!
People may say it is 'easy' and it only takes 'a few minutes' to sign up. Well for some people this is hard enough for various reasons.
New posters also means fresh blood, a guest may decide to register once he feels it's worth being here or if he wants to be known. Input from 'outside' may also bring in new and fresh ideas.
Jokes ... it does not have to be all serious on here I feel. For example: I really enjoyed the David Brain history a little while back. Would not be possible anymore.

My 2 cents but I seriously hope this board stays open and censorship is only applied in extreme cases.

Hans
hans

Postby matthewkooshad on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:24 am

I vote for anon posters allowed, but I agree with Alex that allowing anon posting is bad idea. If this forum wants to be of the inconceivable popularity of the bbs, then anonymous posting must exist as that's what drove the bbs -- the ability to post nonsense and drama without having to show responsibility for your words.
It is good that this anonymous posting is restricted to the folded boards area as if someone has something to notable to say in the openings or an alike area, then registering is not a big deal as mentioned.
matthewkooshad

Postby hans on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:07 am

Ok, people posting here and expression their view FOR allowing anon posters in one section of this forum oposed to the one AGAINST is 4-2.
Why was it then decided to close the Folder Boards for guest users anyway?
Or did guest or anon lobbyists AGAINST had a deciding vote in this?

Alan, could you please clarify why you made this decision. I think the people presenting arguments FOR did make some good points.
hans

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:31 am

Hans, probably Alan and Jason considered "importency of voters". Me and Matthew are major contributors to other sessions and each of us made more posts than anyone else. This is my guess only.

Another reason could be - anonimous posts just simply insulted them, because they are humans only.

Respectfully,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Jason Solan on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:47 am

Hans,

The decision was 'pushed' over the edge with George stating he will bring back the BBS. We have recieved some private emails about the matter as well. All in all it was a fairly even split, though you are correct that keeping it had more votes.
The 'importancy' of the voters had nothing to do with it as far as i know. It was mostly that anon posters will have a place to go with George's BBS coming back, so there is no need to keep it here. Even still, i believe Alan was torn with the decision. In his email he used the word 'Perhaps' instead of just telling me to eliminate it.

Alan emailed me about this topic several times. When i first put up the forum, he wanted all users to sign up, i convinced him that we should have 1 forum to allow guest postings, hoping we could keep things under control. Any flack taken from allowing it in the first place and then removing it should be taken by me.

I personally would like anonymous posting, however we cannot make everyone happy all the time.
I also got tired of seeing people use the anon account to reply to their logged in account just to further a point.
I hate deleting posts as i feel any forum should allow for freedom of expression, but even though i would like this to be a "Checkers' forum instead of an 'ACF' forum, it still is a part of the ACF Official Web Page and hence represents the ACF. Therefore i need to be more stringent than if it was my own personal forum.

The elimination of guest postings force people to take more responsibility on themselves, and hopefully make them think more about what they're posting and how others will view it. Perhaps there will be a time when it will come back to life.

I still find it sad that among the 7 forums, only 1 allowed anon posting and people continued to harp on that single forum. Some of you had heeded my advice and i appreciate that, but it still was a hot topic which hopefully can die a natural death now.
Jason Solan
Site Admin

Postby matthewkooshad on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:20 pm

Cheers, keep up the good work guys. Thanks for taking out the trash.
matthewkooshad

anonymous posters

Postby kiwinurse on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:43 pm

Jason i think you are doing a great job, and thankyou for your time and effort in doing this,I still think anonymous posting should be allowed,i know some were cowardly in their attacks, one example was towards Lindus Edwards,where that
person attacked and didnt have the spleen to front up to lindus,but there is still that freedom thing which is important.And of course as George Miller does on bbs, he removes the offensive article, which you have done here,and that still gives guests freedom to post.Many people are unused to posting, could be new, and would feel more comfortable posting anonymously.Anyway as youve said BBS is back,and that feature is allowed there,but it does also take something away from this forum which is a shame.
kiwinurse

oopsie

Postby kiwinurse on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:49 pm

Sorry i posted my message and it told me it was disabled, so i kept pressing lol
kiwinurse

Postby Jason Solan on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:32 pm

No worries Jan. I've taken care of the multiple posts. I think you ran into the bug Alex had mentioned a little earlier.

Thanks for the comments.

--Jason
Jason Solan
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion