"He Played for Eating Money not Prestege"--answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"He Played for Eating Money not Prestege"--answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:14 pm

:lol: "Checker Trivia" questions of the Day"? The place was Barnesville, Georgia. As the story goes he played there many years ago? How many games were played and for what amount of money? And what was the final outcome of this most interesting checker encounter? :lol: (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "He Played for Eating Money not Prestege&qu

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:16 pm

:lol: This fine little story can be found in "Its Your Move"--1929. It tells of Willie Ryans venture to a small town in Georgia where he hoped to win a little eating money from the local checker champion. They meant and play 4 games for 25 cents per game--which ended up with 4 draws. After the matches Willie asked the fellow if he could borrow a quarter to get something to eat. The fellow replied saying you mean to tell me that you played me and didn't have any money? Willie said yes. The fellow replied, well I didn't have any either. :lol: This is one of our favorite checker stories. "Merry Christmas" "Inky" and Ms. Becky (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby whitefork on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:20 pm

A followup question: what players living today played against Ryan?
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:46 pm

whitefork wrote:A followup question: what players living today played against Ryan?

I think we have to consider our oldest veterans today in their 80+ or probably older: Richard Fortman, Eugene Zuber, Richard Hallett (younger than 80), Ed Bruch, Robert Shuffett. I may missed few.

But even if they played checkers at the time when Ryan lived, this is not neccesarey means they played with him.

Only Richard Fortman is obviously a right candidate.

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:27 pm

Maybe Abrecht and Levitt ?

Adventsg
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:26 pm

:lol: Just one day short of his 16th birthday my good friend and colleague Al Darrow played Willie in an exhibition match. The games ended with a score of 1-0-1 in favor of Mr. Ryan. :lol: (Cont.) "Merry Christmas" Ms. Becky
Mr. Checkers

Prof. Lopez played Ryan

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:47 pm

Hello everyone:

Gerry Lopez told me that years ago Willie Ryan put on an exhibition where Gerry lived and Gerry had Ryan to his home for supper.

On another note.............. In the late 60's I knew and played a man who lived in Parkersburg, W.Va. by the name of A.E. Bowersock,Sr. Mr. Ryan came to Parkersburg in the 50's and Mr. Bowersock won a game from Mr. Ryan. He showed me the book that Ryan inscribed to A.E. for scoring the win. A.E. loved the " Black Doctor" and would play it at every opportunity. When he got ready to go a piece down he would remark, " Let's Dr. it up a little bit ". Looking back I have met some interesting people thru Checkers.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
===============================================
Checkers----- 'THE MIND SPORT ALTERNATIVE TO VIDEO GAMES "
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia