"Checkers is for Bums"

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"Checkers is for Bums"

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:38 pm

:lol: Most of us realize that checkers has always been known as the game of the "common man". If you visit our museum you will find this to be true. Today a lot of money is being made in the manufacturing of the checker sets and boards--Hasbro Inc. for example puts out thousands of them each year. On the other side of the coin we find a booming new growth industry taking in tens of thousands of dollars through the sale of checker memorabilia, i.e. "Ebay" buyers spend hundreds of dollars for just one checker set. If Alex would have marketed the checker set that he used in winning his first World Championship that set would have undoubtedly put hundreds of dollars in his pocket today and even more in years to come. Over the years I have seen hundreds of dollars change hands in drinking establishments where checkers/draughts were played. But the "commom man" image of the game has never changed and undoubtedly it never will. "Checker Trivia" question of the Day"? What famous checker personality said that "Checkers is for Bums"? :lol: (Cont.)
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "Checkers is for Bums"

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Ms. Becky wrote:But the "commom man" image of the game has never changed and undoubtedly it never will.

"Checker Trivia" question of the Day" ==> Why this message is wrong ?
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia