Curious about an error

Discussion and analysis about certain positions.

Re: Curious about an error

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:52 am

> Pedro I would suggest that you may want to think about purchasing the
> latest version of Lees' Guide, which has 267 pages. The 208 page version
> is from 1912-1919.

As a a matter of self-discipline I seldom but a book unless I run across it at a used book store. I have about 2500 different interests, from checkers and chess to medievel Spanish folk ballads, U.S. Civil War history, pre-1960 Cuban baseball, and many, many others. If I start ordering books I will not be able to finish putting my kids through college, not because of the cost of the books, but because we would have to buy a bigger house to keep them. And besides, my wife won't let me.

But I share Palomino's curiosity as to whether any newer edition has corrected the error.
Pedro Saavedra

Corrections

Postby liam stephens on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:00 pm

In 1953 Hall's Correction guide was published, which contains improvements and corrections of Lees Guide.

In the 19th century corrections to published play were the order of the day particularly in works by Mc Culloch and Kear.

Derek Oldbury in his Encyclopaedia commented as follows:
" His (Sturges) Guide to the Game of Draughts (London 1800) has been reissued and revised more often than any other treatise on the game.....the revisionists from from Walker, 1835, through Spayth, 1860, Tonar, 1869, Janvier, 1881, Kear, 1895, between them have managed to to commit multiple literary crimes- burying the original work under a mound of supposed corrections and renovations, aided and abetted by every minor critic of the 19th Century- ...." (Ency., Vol 1, page 14)

Also note the following:

In Sturges, Payne, Anderson and Kear's Encylopaedia this is given as 4th Position:
Black: 21, kings 22, 23. 28. White: 30, Kings 31, 32.
Black to move and win, White to move and draw.
If it is Black to move, what was White's last move?
If it was 27-31, then Black should have huffed him, under the old rules.
(Although the position can be reached legally, it would have to be largely contrived.)
The correct set-up for this position is given in Boland's Famous Positions, page 109, when the King on 28 is put on 20. But even then an error creeps in as Boland says "20-24 is premature and only draws by 32-28, 23-19,".....
But instead of 23-19, go 24-20, 28-32, 22-18, into the winning play.

The noted analyst WT Jenkins from Wales, pointed out the above to me many years ago.

Incidentally, in Famous Positions, page 12, Diagram No 1 does not become Diagram no 2.
liam stephens

Postby Mr. Checkers on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:05 pm

Years ago when I was doing graduate work at Iowa State University there was a shortage of cats, which were needed for disection (Conparative Anatomy). The students solved that problem quickly, but their solution upset the surrounding community. Community representatives visited the school to voice their complaints about their disappearing pets. So they were taken down to the comparative anatomy laboratory to see if any of their pets could be found there. Of course none could be because after their capture the students would remove the cats skin--and all skinned alley cats look pretty much the same. "Many feel that this same thing has been happening to checkers over the years--as much of the life and fun has been disected out of our game from their point of view". And who knows--they might be right. Playing a fine game of checkers late at night by the fireplace (while enjoying a hot cup of fine tea) would not be nearly as much fun if one knew that their precious cat was not there sitting in the chair beside them. So you may want to give some serious thought about keeping checkers as the fine game that we all know and have enjoyed playing for many years in the past--. Like the missing cats--its fate may be placed in someone elses hands. And if we are not careful the game that we all know and love to play today may be disected away forever... Just food for thought!!!
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Gene Lindsay on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:02 pm

:)
Gene Lindsay

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:47 pm

:lol: Meow!!, Meow!! :lol: "Inky"
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:17 pm

:lol: Meow!!, Meow!! :lol: "Inky"
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:27 am

:lol: Meow!!, Meow!! :lol:
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:05 am

:lol: Meow!!, Meow!!, Meow!!, Meow!!, Meow!!:lol:
Mr. Checkers

Previous

Return to Positions