"The Golden Age of Checkers"--picture

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"The Golden Age of Checkers"--picture

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:59 pm

:lol: Many oldtimers feel that the "Golden Age of Checkers" ended with the passing of this fine gentlemen of our game? Very few of these oldtimers still remain with us today as checkers moves into a totally new era (the name of which has not yet been determined). "Checker Trivia" questions of the Day"? Who was this fine gentlemen of our game? Who are some of the remaining oldtimers of our game? And what name should be given to this new era of our game? :lol: (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "The Golden Age of Checkers"

Postby whitefork on Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:13 am

As a name for the new era, perhaps the Silicon Age.
I'd say the last of the Grand Old Men was Asa Long.
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Postby Palomino on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:32 am

I like whitefork's suggestion of "Silicon Age" but I think I like "The Computer Age of Checkers" better.

I was also thinking of Asa Long, his passing certainly was a milestone in the history of checkers.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby whitefork on Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:58 am

I went for "Silicon" by analogy with "Silver Age", "Golden Age", the elements theme - Ages used to be classified by their raw materials (Stone, Iron, Bronze, with only Iron being an element).

A favorite quote comes from Iser Kuperman (not originally from Chernobyl, but close enough) who spoke of "active ratings, inactive ratings, and my own, radioactive, rating".

Perhaps the Plutonium age?
Пилите, Шура, пилите!
whitefork

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia