Time Clock Incident At The NATIONAL

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Time Clock Incident At The NATIONAL

Postby steve on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:34 pm

It was too bad that one player in the minor division at the 2006 national tournment withdrew and went home mad.This is not the first time this has happened.We were informed that the rules of the 2000 national tourney would be in effect for the 2006 tourney.However,there was just one copy of these rules! Rule 10B stated"ANY PLAYER AT ANY TIME HAS THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR THE TIMEKEEPER TO USE MATCH-CLOCK,BUT THE DECISION TO ASSIGN CLOCK RESTS SOLELY WITH THE REFEREE.THE REFEREE MAY ASSIGN A TIMEKEEPER OR MATCH-CLOCK TO ANY MATCH HE FINDS IS MOVING TOO SLOWLY".Now that is a reasonable rule.However,the tourment director at the buiness meeting said that if one player wanted to use a clock,a clock could be used.To force an older minor player who moves fast to use a clock which violates the written rules of the tourney,I believe,was wrong. I SUGGEST THAT THE TOURNMENT DIRECTORS TAKE THE TIME TO BE AWARE OF THE RULES.
steve

Reply to Mr. Steve

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi Steve:

I knew of this incident and the man had quite a conversation with me in front of the hotel before he left the tournament. He told me he had no quarrel with myself , but with one of the referees. I would like to see developed a set of rules, and code of conduct ,etc. to be handed out next year and every year after to each player that registers to play. A tournament committee to oversee this might be established to accomplish this task? At any tournament, especially our National, I want every player to come and enjoy themselves and to be totally emersed in the wonderful game of Checkers for the week or week end.

Steve............... Would you consider making up such a 'hand out' for next year and you are welcome to enlist a helper or two (your choice) to get this paper formulated ? I would have copies printed and ready to distribute to each player as they register. A condensed version could also be put in the issue of our bulletin before the Nationals.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
" LEAVE NO PLAYERS BEHIND "
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: Time Clock Incident At The NATIONAL

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:02 pm

Clock or no clock (and keeping in mind the declining attendance at checker events) I think that the ACF can not afford to put itself into a position that causes one of the few players that attends checker tournaments faithfully on a regular basis to withdraw.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby jimloy on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:28 am

In case you didn't know it already, you can't please everbody. One of the reasons (along with my depressing tendency to make bad moves, and the fact that I have to drive 300 miles just to find another checker player) that I have not played in many tournaments is that I want to play with a clock. I was a chess player, and ten year old beginners routinely play with clocks in chess. In checkers, I belong in the middle of the Majors, where clocks are rare, and I don't want to anger or insult my opponents by insisting on a clock. And so, I just don't play.

What kind of a game are we playing where players can take forever (probably rare in the Majors) because they don't use a clock, and players (including some of our top Masters) don't write down their moves? Maybe we are playing a children's game, after all.
jimloy

Postby tommyc on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:37 pm

Well said Jim Loy.........and thank you for sending me that piece on Paynes transposition some time back....

As for the subject of Master players not doing their notation,just put numbers on the boards and make it EASY for them!!!! mmmm I wonder will anyone stick their neck out a lil and agree?

Or are Master players living in cloud cuckoo land and thus preventing the minors and majors from forming good practice.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:40 pm

Oh i almost forgot Alex "who would be distracted by numbers"..........sorry Alex.

So only when you play Alex you wont be allowed to use numbered boards!! Thats fair?
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:19 pm

Jim Loy says:

>I was a chess player, and ten year old beginners routinely play with
> clocks in chess. In checkers, I belong in the middle of the Majors,
> where clocks are rare, and I don't want to anger or insult my
> opponents by insisting on a clock. And so, I just don't play.

We have some things in common and some things where we differ. We have both been chess players (I still am a member of USCF) and both play e-mail checkers. But we part company on one point. I stopped playing in tournaments because I often would mess up my scoresheet and had trouble keeping up. In chess the rule says one must keep score, but what constitutes keeping score is up to the judgement of the TD. I hated being in time trouble and having to reconstruct my score.

I have a sleep disorder, which means that I am not as alert as I could be. Correspondence play is ideal for me. I own two game clocks (one digital with oodles of features) But I can sympathize with players that dislike the combination the clock and the requirement of keeping score. I am all for giving them that option in the minors. And in checkers sudden death makes more sense than in chess, particularly if one gets so many seconds where the clock does not tick. In such cases, the only penalty for not keeping score should be not being able to claim a draw under circumstances where a score is needed.
Pedro Saavedra

Average players' comments and the Martha Stewart Show.......

Postby Alan Millhone on Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Hello everyone:

I have enjoyed reading all the various postings on tournaments,etc. I have no problem with anyone using a numbered board if that helps them write down their games. I wish clocks were used in all divisions of play and in all tournaments. I think it adds professionalsim to our game, which badly needs to polish its image. Am I a critic of Checkers and the ACF, well I guess I am.

The other day I received an email from Mr. Daniel Rohn, production assistant for THE MARTHA STEWART show ! I will write below what he asked of me, then a follow-up he sent to me.

" Alan

I came across your name on the American Checker Federation web site and would like to gather some more infomation about it. My name is Daniel Rohn and I work on the Martha Stewarts morning television show and we are currently trying to find a very young and talented checker player UNDER the age of 12 who is chatty and outgoing. Is there any kind of Junior American Checker Federation or something of that nature for me to contact? Any assistance you could give would be very appreciated.
Thank you,

Daniel Rohn
Production Assistant
The Martha Show
226 W. 26th. St. 3rd. Floor
New York,NY 10001
DRohn@marthastewart.com

As a follow up email he wrote:

Alan,
It was great speaking with you earlier today. Below I've attached and also pasted a flyer that you could pass along or forward in an email to anyone who you might think would be intereted in this opportunity.

Thank you for your help,

Daniel

National Daytime Television Show is looking for chatty, outgoing, and fun kids between the ages of 7&12

We are looking for all around smart and chatty kids who excel at the game of checkers and who enjoy crafting and cooking.

If you would like to be considered for the show, please have your parents email with you age,picture,brief description of yourself and your interests.

Thanks you !

I told him that the ACF has basically neglected youth in the game for many years. Mr. Clarence Humphrey wrote a book while ACF National Youth Director . That was during the years I was gone from the game and not sure what he did to promote youth tournaments,etc. ? I do know that without youth there will be no ACF nor Checkers to promote someday. Most of the older players just want to play and not be bothered with promoting the game. That is fine, but will leave no legacy for the youngers who follow them. So if you know of a youth to fit the profile he is looking for, please contact him ASAP !

Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
" LEAVE NO YOUTH BEHIND "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby mday on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:10 am

I think Trey Stanley is 11 years - he is probably the top player under 12 that I know of.
mday

Martha Stewart Show.......

Postby JR Smith on Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:49 pm

I know Trey Stanley's game has improved greatly. I've play against him recently in two tournaments and he plays like 1400 and improving fast.

He is a quite, and a little shy, 11 year old, although deep thinker and exceptional honor student. I don't know if he would even be interested in going on TV, but I will let Teal know. Look at the last few scoresheet on http://www.nccheckers.org

http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/06%20Eas ... esults.htm

http://www.nccheckers.org/NCCA/2006%20T ... Sheet1.jpg
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:27 am

Along the "family" theme, Trey's sistes Erin played in the youth event at Medina.

In addition to the youth names mentioned already, Mr Millhone also has checker-playing grandsons that have entered Nationals.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Patrick Parker on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:40 pm

did anything ever happen with this topic on the youth?
Patrick Parker

Return to Tournament Discussion