British Freestyle Open 2006

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

British Freestyle Open 2006

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:30 pm

Here's a report from the MSO website:

"Draughts English Freestyle (GAYP) Championship

English International David Harwood cut through a small field to clinch his first Major title. After defeating previous Olympiad medalists Con McCarrick (Ireland) and Tony Boyle he coasted to victory. Leading scores were 1st David Harwood, 2nd Con McCarrick 3rd Joan Caws. "

Cgrts to Dave!
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Re: British Freestyle Open 2006

Postby Lindus Edwards on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi Ingo,
Dave won the Welsh Open four years ago ahead of myself, George Miller, Danny Oliphant, Brian Lucas, Colin Young (British Champion of 2004) and several other notables - not that I consider myself a "notable" of course. Perhaps you do not consider the Welsh Open, which attracts over thirty players every year, a "major event." It is a matter of opinion of course :)
This year's Welsh Open is expected to attract players such as Liam Stephens (an Irish master who has been a consistent prize winner in numerous major tournaments), Colin Young (former British Champion as already stated), Danny Oliphant (twice winner of the German Open and present Danish champion), Dave Harwood (present English freestyle champion), Brian Lucas (English master who was placed third in the 2003 English Open), Frank Moran (Irish master and international player), George Miller (English master and former world mail champion), Dafydd Roberts (Welsh rated number one player for many years standing) and a number of other very strong players.
I understand that several Mongolian players will also be entering this year's event which is most exciting. Sune Thrane told me that he was making plans to attend also.
Looks like being another good tournament.
Best wishes,
Lindus.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:13 pm

Wow Lindus,

it looks mighty strong!

Will someone cover the event and post pictures, results and games ?
Or will a report on it be available later on, maybe a written account of it like the German Open booklets ?
With such strong players and the next occurance from Mongolian players ( a friend of mine who was born in Ulan-Baator told me that draughts in all kinds r even more popular in Mongolia then Chess or Go, and that Mongolian players dominate the 10*10 and shaski Asian championships!) since the US Nationals 2003, it deserves everyones attention!

Anyway, my favotite would be a rather unknown Welsh player, son of another unknown Welsh player, who I rencenly met on IYT.
He might use some cooks, he -to my pleasure- did not sprung on me, or cooks other players sprung on him, as I know he is one of thr best cooks in the world.

all the best to you from sunny Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:32 pm

Yes Ingo, it certainly looks like being a very tough event and would be even tougher if you entered. Hopefully you will be able to attend this event one year. Last year the Mongolian players were not allowed entrance to the United Kingdom due to visa problems which I felt was absurd. I sincerely trust that this will not be the case this year.
I omitted to mention players such as Fred Buckby, Dr John Reade, Tommy Canning, Con McCarrick (he might play in this one), Jim O' Brien, Angelo Goss, John Morgan, Terry Thomas (runner-up to Ron King in the British and Irish Freestyle Championship several years ago), Dennis Pawlek (he might not play this year, but is a player of considerable talent having beaten players such as Mustafa Durdeyef and George Miller), Granville Evans (international player), John Edwards (my thirteen-year-old son and a fine little player) Grace Edwards (my wife - but cannot play for buttons, lol), and some other fellows :lol:
The thing I love about this weekend event is the great atmosphere which the likes of Danny Oliphant and Tommy Canning create. It is an event I highly recommend to all players.
Lindus Edwards

Return to Tournament Discussion