Upcoming Ohio State Tournament

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Upcoming Ohio State Tournament

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:23 am

Hello everyone:

I just now made reservations for the upcoming Ohio State Tournament this coming week-end in Medina,Ohio at the Traveller's Choice Hotel in Medina,Ohio (330-725-4571) to reserve a room. If you missed last week-end's Indiana Tourney, then this one you want to attend. Mr. Alex will be on hand defending his Ohio Title, Dr. Beckwith will be there, as well as Louis Cowie and Tony Kozenski, Steve Holliday hopefully will be there and hopefully Ed Bruch as well..................... Others I am not sure about. If you are coming you might post on my message, thanks! This is an officially sanctioned ACF Tournament. Clocks, game recording sheets and ACF current membership will be required to enter. There is easy access to the host hotel from either Interstate's 77 or 71 . See you in Medina:-)

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
===============================================
Checkers------- " The mind sport alternative to video games "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming Ohio State Tournament

Postby tommyc on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:37 pm

I understand having to be a member to enter "A" Ty as Alan says .........but.....does this put pple off??...........In Ireland we have a system that if your not a current member ,then membership fees AND Ty fees will be bunched together on the day at the point of entry!!

If it makes sense do it!
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:53 pm

Alan all Ohioans (Steve, Alex, Richard, Louis and yourself, etc.) should think positively about winnings this fine state checker tournament; therefore each of you should bring along an extra sock just in case a miracle happening transpires.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Bringing along my own personal sock

Postby Alan Millhone on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Hi Ms. Becky:

You make a good point about bringing along our own sock.............. I may just do that for luck :-) Mr. Alex has a rating hovering near 2,700 and mine is an average (close to 2,000) I think.................... However it would be nice for all Ohio players to bring along their own sock just in case. I will have mine handy this week-end.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
" Proud To Be A Buckeye Checker Player "
Checkers--------- " The mind sport alternative to video games "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Tommy.....membership may be paid at registration. Or maybe you are trying to suggest something else? not clear to me
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby tommyc on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:02 pm

Im really not sure what you mean Richard?
My point was if its advertised you need to be a member to play,would this stop people from travelling to the Tys.
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:48 pm

Alan Millhone wrote:I just now made reservations

Steve Holliday called me today and graciously offered to share his room. I accepted his offer, because he plays 50 years in class "B" and this is something I can't claim ! :P

I seriously suspect that in this tournament I can leave earlier by skipping round or single game. I anticipate here the highest competition and will try to do my best to defend my title.

See you all there !

Proud to be a member of Ohio Checkers Association for many years.

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:19 am

Tommy,

The membership requirement was reinstituted a couple years back, and I have not seen a dropoff in attendance for this event. (A long time ago, a membership requirement was standard at most state and District tournaments.) Naturally, I cannot speak for every single person out there. There is also the inexpensive "Associate" route for newcomers who aren't sure a full membership is appropriate for them.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

ohio tourney

Postby steve on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:00 am

Alex , i don"t know if you are being facetious about me being a class B player for 50 years,but remember I had to start out in class C.
steve

Postby tommyc on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:03 am

Yes, I think your "associate membership" is an excellent idea Richard and covers the point i was trying to make that you may become a member at point of entry and therefore play in the Ty.Perhaps this should be better known so as not to confuse the "current member" issue which might be off-putting for newcomers.

I know Ohio is one of the strongholds of checkers in USA so i hope you have a good Ty...Tommy.
tommyc

Welcome John A.

Postby Alan Millhone on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:42 am

Hello John:

Pleased to read you will be attending the upcoming Ohio State Tournament. I have a single bed room reserved............. I snore terribly............. Mr. Alex can attest to this ! Sorry no " D " Class............ Probably one group of tuff players............... They even let me enter and play in that group. You will be among friends and I have no problem losing to top Master and Grandmaster players. I have not seen you since my comback tourney in Vegas (GAYP) and I can even remember with red playing the 'slip cross' against you :-) See you this week-end in Medina,Ohio.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
" Journeyman Checker/Draughts Player "
Checkers---------- " The Mind Sport Alternative To Video Games "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:25 am

John, please call me 614-763-0800. I can probably save your car/gas costs :D Anyway - will be glad to talk with you any time. Weclome to jungle !

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Tournament Discussion