"The Most Infamous List in Checker History"-answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"The Most Infamous List in Checker History"-answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:05 pm

It came out about 20 years ago with 10 well known checker personalities names listed on it. "Checker Trivia questions of the Day"? Who put out this infamous ratings listing? What criteria was used to get ones name put on it? And whose names were listed 1-10? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "The Most Infamous Ratings List in Checker Hist

Postby EdTrice on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:01 pm

It was the FBI's 10 most wanted.

:)
--Ed
EdTrice

Postby Mr. Checkers on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:07 pm

Ed the originator of this infamous listings may have told you that he thought that all 10 checker personalities should have been turned into the FBI--and none to soon according to him. He was very outspoken about this.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby EdTrice on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:50 pm

I see so many of these "checkers trivia" items unanswered. Perhaps it would be better not to state the information in the form of a question, especially since an answer is rarely forthcoming.

Why not just say:

"Did you know...."

...and then spin your prose to present the facts in an interesting and entertaining manner. That way, people can see "the question" and get the information in one holistic post.

Just a suggestion.
--Ed
EdTrice

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:16 pm

Dear Ms Becky,

ever thought about a checher history quiz with say, 20 questions and 50 points available?

like th
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Palomino on Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi Ed,

I'd like to say I enjoy and look forward to reading the trivia questions each day in the same way, I guess, some people look forward each day to receiving their news paper for the crossword puzzle. I sometimes know the answer right off the bat and at other times I have to go looking for the answer, I guess, as they say "the thrill is in the hunt". I enjoy the hunt anyway and often times find answers to questions that have not yet been asked, seems like every day I learn something new about the game.

I just now took some time to look for unanswered trivia questions and think it would be fair to say you won't find many beyond the 1st page. I did find a couple of them and I'd like to know the answers to them, so I think I'll post some kind of reply so they will come to the front again. Ms Becky usually lets the trivia questions ride unanswered for a week or 10 days before giving the answer, this allows time for others to participate and have a little fun.

I'm sure your suggestions are appreciated and anything you have to add is more than welcomed, but for me, I'd like see the question format remain as it is.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker

BTW:
I find your posts to be very interesting, keep it up and wecome to the forum. I also down loaded your WCC, and thanks for that.
Palomino

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:28 pm

Hopefully your friends will understand if your name is on this unique list of checker personalities. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:34 am

In 1979 Don Goodwin offered his library to us for a little over $16,500. We had just purchased the Windt and Caldwell libraries a few months earlier, so to acquire Don's library was not financially possible for us at that time. Soon thereafter Don decided to reprint all of the checker books ever written in the English language. This of course was a God send to the many checker players who were only interested in the content of the books; for the reprints sold for a fraction of what they could even buy copies of the originals for. The 1980's could have easily been called "the Decade of Reprints"--as Don flooded the market with them during that period of time. Don's reprints came out in both paperback and hardcover and he would have 500-1000 copies of each book reprinted at one time. Over the ten year period of the 1980's Don (being a trusting fellow) would send his reprints out to anyone and everyone that requested them from him. Many were sent out on a sort of "order now and pay later basis". A problem arose when those that ordered and recieved their checker books did not bother to repay Don for them; which of course would try anyones trust in their fellow man. It finally came to the point where calling and writing to ask for payment seemed to fall on deaf ears, so Don decided to do something about that. What would that be? His approach to this problem was to embarrass those culprits by publishing (in a large faced type) a listing of the "Top Ten Most Dishonest Checker Players"--. And then he would distribute that listing throughout the checker community, which I am sure left some with a red face when they opened their mail. Now I had originally stated in the title of this post that it was a "Ratrng List", which is true because the more one owed Don the higher up on the list ones name appeared. As I mentioned in a different posting there was a close relationship between the checker book dealers and the players; which is not found in checkers today--ones word counted for a lot more in those days. So in that context things did not set well within the checker community--as an air of distrust spread among its membership. Letters containing such statements as--"I was shocked to read that so and so's name was on that listing". or "I would have never thought that he was that kind of guy--one never knows do they"? Several found themselves with their foot in their mouth as they tried to explain away how their name came to appear on this list in the first place. I personally think that it really came down to be more of a matter of principle that was most important here--"if you can't trust your friends then who can you trust"?; not one of money. Longtime friendships were greatly affected, but no one that I know of jumped off of any bridge over this situation. Now Don has since passed away as have others whos names appeared on his list. Before his passing some of those made amends to Don, but others did not. Don made his mark in checker history and he will be remembered first of all as a leading checker book dealer, for his hundreds of reprints, for donating many books to needy players and to other causes, for his boastfulness as expressed in his hundreds of letters to friends and fellow checker players, etc. Legal ramifications prevent us from sharing the names of those people that still remain among us today. And as I said many times before--"somethings are just better left in checker history". (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Re: "The Most Infamous List in Checker History&

Postby tommyc on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:28 pm

Thank the Lord for Ms Becky for all her questions n answers........dont worry Ed.....it ll b allrighty.tommyc
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia