Western States Championship

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Western States Championship

Postby bazkitcase5 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:39 am

Group A after 3 rounds
Ryan Pronk 10 pts
Gerry Lopez 8 pts
Bob Murr 7 pts
Earl Harvell 5 pts
Ken Shultz 4 pts
John Gibson 2 pts

Group B
Hugh Hawkins 11 pts
Paul Stein 8 pts
Yunior Lopez 8 pts
Francesco La Rocca 8 pts
Robert Ferguson 7 pts
Sol Kaplan 6 pts
Nico Pradenas 6 pts
Tom Jones 5 pts
Alexander Weaver 5 pts
bazkitcase5

Thanks Clayton!

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Hello Clayton:

Your report appreciated on the Western States District Tournament. Keep us posted as you have more results :-)

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
=============================================== " Reading over my copy of SIXTH "
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

My Recap of the Western States Championship

Postby Ryan Pronk on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Hello everyone,

First off, I want to congratulate everyone who was at this very successful event. We had a couple players making their tournament debut, including a man who was 93-years-old! I overheard someone say we had three different generations at this tournament. I agree!

We had two very good young players at this tournament as well. Yunior Lopez, who ended up winning the B Class and being crowned new Nevada State Champion, and Nico Pradenas, who has only been playing for ten months! I wish I had his ability after only playing for that short of a period.

My biggest accolades goes to first time tournament director and referee Bob Murr. Before the tournament began, Bob and I had discussed keeping track of all scores on paper (something which was not done in the past). Well, as it turns out, Bob did his part of the bargain, and much more! Without his hard work, I seriously doubt the tournament would have ran as smoothly as it did. On behalf of all the players at the tournament, I wish to say thank you and hopefully you will again serve as director and referee next year.

Overall, it was an extremely friendly atmosphere (I don't think there is a such thing as an unfriendly checkers tournament). Sol Kaplan's family provided us with donuts during the tournament, which was very kind of them. Bob Murr also provided snacks throughout the tournament. I had a blast seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Looking forward to next year!

And yes, checkers does exist out west! :lol:

--Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Re: Western States Championship

Postby Bob Murr on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:20 am

Thank you Ryan, for the kind words. It was an honor and pleasure to help Gerry Lopez. The Plaza hotel was a fine venue for this tournament after the Four Queens was unable to host it due to a scheduling conflict.
Bob Murr
Bob Murr

Return to Tournament Discussion