"It Was 1937"-Cks. Was There-Partial Answer

A forum dedicated to odd facts and trivia about our favorite game.

"It Was 1937"-Cks. Was There-Partial Answer

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:14 pm

Checkers is a wonderful game of lasting memories of people that one has encountered across the board over many years. Those delightful memories were captured on canvas by such great artists as Norman Rockwell and others. "Checker Trivia questions of the Day"? On November 1937 this artist captured those memories on the cover of this well known midwest farmers magazine. Name that magazine, the artist and the name of the painting shown on this cover? (Cont.)
Last edited by Mr. Checkers on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Re: "The Year Was 1937"--and Checkers Was

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:54 pm

A lot of research has gone into this question (as goes into most of our fine questions). So far over 24 emails have gone out to collectors and sellers of past issues of this magazine, 2 long distance calls to the publisher who bought out the magazine, 3 calls to the Kansas State Historical Society who has a fine collection of this magazine. Hopefully in another month of research we will be able to give you a full answer to this unique question about a very lovely checker magazine cover.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby EdTrice on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 pm

Ms. Becky wrote:A lot of research has gone into this question (as goes into most of our fine questions). So far over 24 emails have gone out to collectors and sellers of past issues of this magazine, 2 long distance calls to the publisher who bought out the magazine, 3 calls to the Kansas State Historical Society who has a fine collection of this magazine. Hopefully in another month of research we will be able to give you a full answer to this unique question about a very lovely checker magazine cover.

Then maybe a better name for this would have been:

"The Year Was 1937"--and Checkers Was There, But We Don't Have The Answer Yet!!

:)
--Ed
EdTrice

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:35 pm

Ed many of our "Checker Trivia" friends find the fun in doing the research to find the answers to these questions; plus they do like to verify them--as I do (and its all for fun). This is why we put up several trivia questions at one time in order to give them the time to do the needed research . All of us have the rest of our lives, so there is no hurry to do this. Join the fun and take on the challenge and see if you can answer a few of them. Also several people submit trivia questions to us and we post those for them without knowing the answers ourselves. (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Postby EdTrice on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:48 pm

My remark was a response to your post that said something similar about the nomenclature of my topic title. I thought you would pick up on that.
--Ed
EdTrice

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:29 pm

Point taken Ed. I am sorry that I overlooked that.
Mr. Checkers

Re: "It Was 1937"-Cks. Was There-Partial A

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:57 pm

The name of the 1937 magazine was--"Cappers Farmers Magazine". The artist that did the beautiful checker scene on the cover was "Harold N. Anderson". (Cont.)
Mr. Checkers

Re: "It Was 1937"-Cks. Was There-Partial A

Postby Palomino on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:53 pm

I have this magazine somewhere but it seems I've misplaced it, I'll keep looking.

Regards, "Pal" Bucker
Palomino

Return to Checkers Facts and Trivia