British Open results

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Ain't it Amazing

Postby liam stephens on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Dear Ingo,

Not being there, I cannot say what type of ballots occured, favourable or otherwise. However, from reading this forum and the crosstable results, I understand that Ron King lost a game to C. Mc Kenna in the first round and later lost a round to T. Watson. In these circumstances to finish within a point of the winner was indeed just amazing!
Last edited by liam stephens on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liam stephens

Re: British Open results

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:13 pm

joshua armstrong wrote:i. it looks like you dont like ron king you always back up the durdeyevs

When did I said anything bad about Ron King ?
You should stop blaming other people for alledgly doing things they actually did not do!
In fact I admire Ron King's dynamic style and his ability to avoid dull draws and to find new ways off the well-trodden paths. Why should I treat him with disrespect ?

In fact you blamed a whole family of cheating!
But you were not there and you don't know the games, so where's the case?
There is no case, just a very bad rumour that you spread, based upon a quick look at the crosstable.
You never looked at other crosstables, even if they r published just above the one you r obviously referring to. Also the crosstables of the Irish open 2003 and 2004 and the Qualifier 2005 in Prague tell a different story.
That is a fact, not a rumour.

Some people can tell between the truth and bad rumours.
Others just choose their victims.

I have nothing more to say.
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Re: Ain't it Amazing

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:57 pm

liam stephens wrote:Dear Ingo,

Not being there, I cannot say what type of ballots occured, favourable or otherwise. However, from reading this forum and the crosstable results,
I understand that Ron King lost a game to C. Mc Kenna in the first round and later lost a round to T. Watson. In these circumstances to finish within a point of the winner was indeed just amazing!

Yes, Liam, you r right and that is indeed a remarkable result.
It shows how though Ron King is, as well as his performance at the WCDF Qualifier right after that result, which is even more remarkable. Do you remember that right after his loss at the WC match against Alex he scored a string of remarkable tournament victories ?
He is a true champion, as he stands up and runs even faster after he fell.

But the question is:
Is roundscoring or gamescoring more appropriate for 3 move?

To answer this, we must know at which pairings which openings were balloted, as it might be that Mustafa Durdyev ballots had more "drawish" openings, as you now seemed to think that Ron King had "less luck".
Then we might see if Ron King had more openings which allow the weaker opponent a draw in the strong side, which only makes a 3-1 result in gamescoring, but a 2-0 in roundscoring. Those openings might indeed be the reason why gamescoring is inferior.
Has someone ever examined that ?
I hope that the games of the British Open and the Qualifier will be published, because then we could examine this controversial issue deeper and more profound.

My guess it that some players will indeed suffer from the ballot, so that they cannot score the maximum number of points against considerably weaker opponents.
So you might be right, Liam.
Maybe roundscoring for 3 move and gamescoring for GAYP could be
appropriate, but in case of roundscoring at least two ballots per pairing should be made, as a round with only one ballot seems to have a similar problem, as some highly drawish ballots exist, and would lead to the dropping of a point by the stronger player due to bad luck.
Also a balloting method that allows only one "drawish" ballot and then a more unbalanced opening is preferrable.
I think this was the reasoning behind the though deck.

Greetinx to you, Liam. Hope to meet you at the German Open.

Ingo
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

re:scoring

Postby liam stephens on Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Dear Ingo,

I agree with the points you have made. However, I am not particularly in favour of 4 game rounds, for the reason that many players object to scoring 3 draws and 1 loss and getting no credit for the 3 draws. (winner takes all)

I also look forward to meeting you in Germany.

Regards - Liam.
liam stephens

Postby AKA on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:44 pm

Always something negative to say, Ingo? You yourself are throwing accusations around without any evidence.

Weren't you invited to the QT? Why didn't you go?
AKA

Postby Mr. Checkers on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:07 am

Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Previous

Return to Tournament Discussion