College teams in State Cup.

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

College teams in State Cup.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:10 pm

Comments / suggestions / objections ? Are there any college students, who visit this forum and read this post ? Any interest and intention to play in State Cup ?

BTW. We had "college teams" in Russia. It might be interesting for you to learn, that full and part time college employees, professors, administration, etc were allowed to be on team among students, but no more then 50% of team in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: College teams in State Cup.

Postby matthewkooshad on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:56 pm

Alex, I did not know what to say about this topic as far as ideas and much comments on college checkers. I love the idea though. I am a college student, and I love to play the game when I get the chance with friendly people. There is a chess club here at Olemiss University. They went on a couple trips to standard state and fun tournaments. I think there is an instance where a tournament is brought to them by whatever chess organization or sponsors of the game. I think someone wrote as money being issue maybe for college checkers team/club to go to a tournament somewhere.

Maybe a way to start this is to bring a tournament to the college. My understanding is that winning bidder gets to choose location with nationals and such, but it would be nice to be able to choose a university to have this at. The idea of national checkers tournament + a big university will gain even more attention for the game -- gaining the interest of college students in the game. It is not uncommon to walk into a computer lab and see students playing chess, checkers, or alike game; many of these students do not have luxury to get to leave their school to go to a state tournament. Most universities to my understanding do not have a team for checkers or chess -- a small club at most.

I like that MS state tournament was held at a community college some months ago. Choosing university is even better. Scheduling of it is important too as goal is to gain more players (students) not just to provide a time for the same players to play in tournament.
matthewkooshad

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:22 pm

Matthew - this is opposite situation ! University should make a bid and submit it, not Federation choose University :lol:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby matthewkooshad on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:54 pm

Ok, I am not much knowledgeable on how sponsoring tournament works. I am not sure if universities will know about the event if someone of the federation does not approach the universities. I'm not too aware of how this is done, but if leaders of federation are to approach the universities then maybe a letter to the universities is a good idea. If enough letters are sent, then probability is on the federation's side.
matthewkooshad

Postby Pedro Saavedra on Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:37 pm

> BTW. We had "college teams" in Russia. It might be interesting for you
> to learn, that full and part time college employees, professors,
> administration, etc were allowed to be on team among students, but no
> more then 50% of team in total.

I was very active in college chess 35 to 40 years ago. In intercollegiate play, the team consisted entirely of students (including graduate students) but some college clubs played in inter-club leagues, and there the team represented the club, not the school,, and could feature anybody. American University fielded a team in the DC Chess League with not one student in it.

There was no college checkers in those days, but there was also no Internet. I suspect that organizing on-line (e-mail or live) events could be a good way to start intercollegiate competion.
Pedro Saavedra

Return to General Discussion