2007 ACF G.A.Y.P. National Tournament

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

2007 ACF G.A.Y.P. National Tournament

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:38 pm

Hello everyone:

I am still unpacking and catching up on emails that arrived while I was gone this past week and the week-end prior to the Nationals. I will make a report this week sometime and put a report in our next ACF Bulletin.

Looking ahead to 2007..................

That will be our GAYP National Tournament and it is never too early to begin thinking if one of you might consider submitting a bid for our next Nationals. This past week we had cheap room rates, no cost for our playing room, coffee and water in the playing room and a hotel staff that did their best to accomodiate the players and their families. The hotel pool was broken all week, no 'in house' restaurant, though they did have a free limited continental breakfast each morning. The players that did not have a car had a nice restaurant in walking distance and a CITGO next door to get sandwiches,coffee,hot tea, soft drinks,etc. The ariports were not close and cab fares ran $50.00 one way. Keep in mind one thing for this past week tournament.................. The ACF had only ONE bid to host the tournament , thanks Dr. B for being that bidder :-)

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
" AN AVERAGE (maybe below average) CHECKER/DRAUGHTS PLAYER"
===============================================

" MR. ALEX SOLD AROUND 35 COPIES OF HIS " SIXTH " AT NATIONALS"
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: 2007 ACF G.A.Y.P. National Tournament

Postby Patrick Parker on Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:49 pm

could some of the things needed be listed
say
a location
etc .....
i am not sure what all is even required
do you get local sponsers?
i am totally clueless about the process as i am sure
others are as well
Patrick Parker

Reply to Patrick:-)

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:56 pm

Hello Patrick:

A submitted bid would show host hotel, room rates, rate for playing room, proximity to airports, places to eat,etc. In Medina we had private contributors who added to the prize fund. You might scout around and find a local sponor for the Nationals who would contribute money. As I have said before, it would be nice to have more than one bid submitted and then a committe would be formed to review bids and make a recommendation as to who should be awarded the venue.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
District 6 Champion
" I had better begin serious study of "SIXTH" "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Parker on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:05 pm

ah thats good clear info thanks

hotel has to be the place to play?

i understand the convenience but ya know ...
Patrick Parker

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:11 pm

Patrick Parker wrote:hotel has to be the place to play?

Not necessary, Patrick. I played my WCM 2005 with Ron King in Anderson in City Hall, 2-3 miles from hotel. We played in the City Counsil Room - across Court Room and above jail. One time Ron took an exhibition trip to the jail by traling a police officer on duty, I decided to step aside :lol:

Later Ron said that USA jails are much better and more friendly in USA that on Barbados !

Respectively,

Alex
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Reply to Patrick

Postby Alan Millhone on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi Patrick:

I appreciate your interest. In Dublin,Ohio last year the Dublin Hotel and Tourism Assoication submitted a bid of $5,000.00 and a free playing room. The hotels were nearby to playing room. Remember ONE important fact last year as well................ The ACF had ONE and only ONE bid submitted.

Let me run something by all the readers of this forum.

What if next year or any year to come the ACF does not get any bids ?

This can happen!!

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
" PROUD TO BE YOUR ACF PRESIDENT "
" TO BE ABLE TO PLAY WITH THE BEST, GET YOUR COPY OF " SIXTH "
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Parker on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:13 pm

haha.......i bet they are ....but jail is still jail and a scary place to be

what would be a good rate for a place to play?
pay by the day? i assume? 50 dollars?
i dunno ........anyone?
Patrick Parker

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:17 am

Patrick,

Yes, $50 and lower is a good target, although it's usually tough to get every detail the way we want it. Room rates will not be a deterining factor for some, but since many players are on fixed incomes, we might lose guys who don't want to pay $80 a night.

There is also information about submitting bids within ACF by-laws on this site. (ACF Info menu, I think). But as Alan mentioned, the key logistical issues are host hotel, room rates, rate for playing room (adequate size and lighting with available bathrooms nearby), proximity to airports and bus stations, places to eat, and amount of bid. Nearby attractions can help. Also, free drinks/water is a plus, but not mandatory. Also, it would be nice if bid includes complimentary rooms for Exec and referees. (This is not a personal need, but comes from by-laws.)
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:31 am

rich beckwith wrote:complimentary rooms for Exec and referees. (This is not a personal need, but comes from by-laws.)

Rich / Alan,

what about complimentary rooms for the World and/or National Champions ? Does By-Laws says something about this ?

This is restrictly personal needs :lol: and will be highly appreciated and raise respect to the game, titles and Champions.

IL State tournament authorities always pay for my room. This doesn't make me much richer. Other States and National don't do this and this also doesn't make me much poorer (but some things are easier).

But as I said - this raises respect and make me proudly thinking that my life hubby is not a wasting time and some people need me and appreciate playing checkers.

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:12 pm

No, this is not currently mentioned in by-laws. However, I see no reason why a bidder cannot follow the Illinois example an extend comp. rooms to other people of their choosing -- although, a hotel may eventually call "timeout" if someone starts asking for too many freebies (say, if multiple champions are present) for an event that only draws 40-50 players.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby Mr. Checkers on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:27 pm

Rich to my knowledge very few ACF exe. officials receive any freebies at any checker tournament. Most pay their own way. Please correct me if I am wrong concerning this.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby rich beckwith on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Ms. Becky,

I agree with what you say, as I was only referring to National tournaments, and even here it has been overlooked in the past. However, I understand the Ellisons took it upon themselves to offer Alex a free room at the Illinois tournament out of repect for his title. I can't recall if they ever did this for ACF president too. No, I don't expect complimentary rooms for exec members at smaller weekend tournaments. Although the PA folks have given me (without my asking) a "referee stipend" for running their tournament in recent years, as this is a commonplace practice in the chess world according to Dr. Guy.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby Patrick Parker on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:02 pm

so as part of bidding for a place you also have to raise money for the tournament as well?
Patrick Parker

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:09 am

Patrick,

Yes, the by-laws mention a minimum bid amount (something like $2000-2500). It can come from combined personal contributions (Niederhoffer and I both did this for Medina), but can also come from local sponsorship, as was done in Dublin. Of course, some outfit has to be willing to do this. The local convention bureau may be willing to assist financially if they are a big enough outfit (to have the funds), since the community will benefit from players coming in to book hotels, dine, shop, etc. The county visitors bureau can also assist with press releases, local guides, etc.

Note that much of the prize fund in Medina (over $8000 for both events) also came from entry fees, ACF account interest, and other contributions from ACF members.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Return to Tournament Discussion