National - 8 hours per round.

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

National - 8 hours per round.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:30 am

This year, 2006 we didn't have a hot disputes regard the system, because this time voting had been done well in advance to clarify things: in Minor and Major Divisions points will be scored per ... game I assume (or ballott ?). In Master Division players decided continue to stay with old system.

In Master Division we also returned back to the old system to play 6 days, including Saturday (in 2004 this was incidentally changed).

But I find one interesting and very serious difference this year. The whole round (4 games) will be limited by 8 hours, not 6 as we had in the past.

Oppss !!! This suppose to be fun, enjoyment and a great challenge, especially for our old players.

Lets see ... From Tuesday through Friday we play in Master Division 1.5 rounds per day which should give us in total - 12 playing hours. If we add here 10-15 minutes between games, 30-60 minutes between rounds, and 1 hour for lunch - we are going close to 15 hours ! :P

So if we start at 9:00 AM, we should finish at 11:00 PM - midnight.

I like this, because it will completely kill phisically my old competitors and I'll get more chances. I also like this - because my young competitors are not well experienced to handle properly such pressure.

I consider this ACF decision as a great personal gift and pleasantly accept it ! :P With all my honesty I guarantee - if I have an extra time to think, I will certainly spend all my time, because this will increase my winning chances (sometimes when I think more - it helps to make better decision in checkers and real life).

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: National - 8 hours per round.

Postby bazkitcase5 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:43 am

alex, i thought for 3-move it has always been 8 hours per round and 6 hours per round in GAYP (being the gayp nationals does not play thru saturday)

afterall, 4 game rounds, 8 hours is only 2 hours per game and 1 hour per person per game!

doesn't sound like as much time as u make it out to be

6 hours per round for 4 serious 3 move games really wouldn't be near enough time

but hey, i am ready for the pressure, and i dang sure can handle 15 hour days! i think i can honestly say, if u beat me, pressure won't be the reason
bazkitcase5

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:25 pm

bazkitcase5 wrote:but hey, i am ready for the pressure, and i dang sure can handle 15 hour days! i think i can honestly say ... pressure won't be the reason

Privet, Clay !

I thought the same way as you ... when I was in your age ! :P Today things look a quite different. Pressure affects everyone with no exceptions. Some can handle it better, true. And remember - you have to play 12-15 straight 4 days. HUH

But I completely agree with your arguments about "enough" time. Kind of hard to compromise situation.

About 8 hours in 3-moves ... It was always my impression that we have 6 hours either way - GAYP or 3 moves. Most of the games are finished after 30 moves, so ... 2 hours per 1 game in average is OK. But again ... if we combine everything, it's getting more worse.

===================================================================

Today I've got all trophies for the National in my car. They are really nice with customize item on each of them - checkers board. Something valuable to fight for :lol:

I want to remind that overall winner of the Youth National Tourney will get a free personalized copy of SIXTH

See you at Medina.

Sincerely,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Gene Lindsay on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:02 pm

There has never been a time limit in the 3-move national to my knowledge and last year was the first time I ever heard of a time limit in the GAYP National TY. We use the clocks and play as long as necessary to play out the games. No time limit except the time on your clock. Who said anything about a time limit? What are you going to do finish at a move a minute? That is totally ridiculous in a National TY. If that's going to be the rule then I guess I will not play again.

Gene Lindsay
Gene Lindsay

Postby AKA on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:35 pm

There has to be a timer or else someone could spend 2 hours on 1 move.
AKA

Postby matthewkooshad on Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:33 pm

Gene Lindsay wrote:There has never been a time limit in the 3-move national... We use the clocks and play as long as necessary to play out the games. No time limit except the time on your clock.
Is this true? I don't see how tournaments are able to be played on a round to round basis without having to wait on a particular game to finish unless a time constraint is placed on all the games that are played. What draughts was saying could happen... :?: :?:
matthewkooshad

Return to Tournament Discussion