Participation on the ACF Forum

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Participation on the ACF Forum

Postby Bill Salot on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:53 pm

All,

Another player (the 3rd one) recently told me that he has unsuccessfully requested access to participate on this Forum.

Another player, presumably knowledgeable about ACF workings, said it is because we no longer have an active web master to admit new players to the Forum.

If this is true, it surely puts a damper on ACF communications and membership.

Shouldn't we be encouraging participation, rather than blocking it?

Does anyone know how to fix this ongoing problem?

Bill Salot
Bill Salot

Re: Participation on the ACF Forum

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Bill Salot wrote:Does anyone know how to fix this ongoing problem?
Yes, I know. Thanks for reporting. am
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby clintolsen on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm

I don't think this is a webmaster responsibility. Jason Solan and Alan Milhone are the only site admins on the forum and I believe only those 2 can verify accounts. If I'm mistaken and someone knows how the account verification process happens, please let me know and I can help with this.
clintolsen
Site Admin

Postby rich beckwith on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm

I've written back-and forth with Alan about this, but didn't get a clear answer on the whole registration process. Alan has tried to reach out to for help about this, but Jason quit responding. Jason had been kindly helping out with the site part-time for many years, but we really need this void filled with someone new and fresh.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby John Acker on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Alan has accepted only twenty new forum registrations in the past five years. We are LONG overdue for a new policy, not to mention a new president!
John Acker

Postby clintolsen on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:34 pm

OK, since I have access to the ACF Admin pages I did some investigating and was able to figure out how to make myself an administrator in the forums. I checked the inactive users list and there are approximately 10,000 "newly registered accounts". I can almost guarantee you that 99.9% of these are spammers / hackers, so I can see the difficulty in managing this. This weekend I will try and figure out how to set up up a role so that others can activate accounts as well.

The only name I recognized in the recently registered accounts was vadlapin who I have activated. if anyone knows of anyone else that is legitimately waiting to be activated, let me know the username and I will process those as well.
clintolsen
Site Admin

Postby tgf on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Its good, someone young and vigorous is finally in charge. Previously I had to raise hell here for someone to be admitted.
tgf

Return to General Discussion