Our Man In Havana

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Our Man In Havana

Postby Richard Pask on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 am

I've just watched this for the first time. It features an excellent, and extended, checkers scene: 12 whisky miniatures v 12 bourbon miniatures!
At one point a 'man' is huffed - oh dear! - but at another the jump is insisted upon - good!
Downside: at one point a character says, 'Checkers. Such a dull game.'

No matter: an enjoyable, though quirky, film - with a nice cameo for checkers.

PS 'The Stranger' (Edward G Robinson and Orson Welles starring) also features checkers enjoyably.

What are your favourites?
Richard Pask

Re: Our Man In Havana

Postby George Hay on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Criminal Minds Season 9 Episode 13 The Road Home has two old men playing checkers, and one of my favorite lines, "It's checkers, not chess." Unofficial World Championship Checker Problem Composing Contest #34 did remind me of Criminal Minds Season 8 Episode 12 Zugzwang that has incidental chess playing.

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby chipschap on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Checkers was featured in one of the episodes of the X-Files, though I don't remember which one.

Of course in the days of radio (I'm a great fan of old time radio) checkers came up often.
chipschap

Postby George Hay on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:22 pm

As improbable as it is, I quickly found on X-files Wiki a synopsis of the checkers episode. It is Season 9 Episode 13 Improbable. Yikes! This is strange! The Criminal Minds checkers episode is also Season 9 Episode 13....Talk about improbable! :)

--George Hay

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Improbable
George Hay

Postby Richard Pask on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:24 am

Checkers features amusingly, and quite extensively, in The Stranger, starring Orson Welles and Edward G Robinson.
Richard Pask

Return to General Discussion