Michele Borgheti to retire

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Michele Borgheti to retire

Postby champion374 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Michele Borghetti has announced that he will retire from match play after this month's WTM against Sergio Scarpetta. Miki, we wish you the best, and hope you will make it to a tournament now and then!. From fb link https://www.facebook.com/procheckers/po ... 3123132569
Kent ,,Ace,, Layne checker player from Barbados
champion374

Re: Michele Borgheti to retire

Postby champion374 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 pm

A shock to me.So how would the title work out.
Kent ,,Ace,, Layne checker player from Barbados
champion374

Postby jimloy on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Two Borghetti titles, unless Scarpetta wins this one. There is also a future 11-man match that probably won't take place.

I hear that Michele Borghetti promised to reconsider retiring. I don't know if he has made any further announcement. But I suppose there is some order in the chaos. Sergio Scarpetta won the three-move World Championship Match (WCM). If Borghetti retires, then next year's GAYP WCM would probably be between Lubabalo Kondlo (the winner of the GAYP Qualifier) and Alex Moiseyev (second place in the Qualifier). The 11-man WCM (I don't know when) would probably be between Alex Moiseyev (the Champion) and Sergio Scarpetta (second place in the 11-Man National). But, Michele has probably not officially withdrawn from these matches. I hope he stays in the fight, and I hope this gets cleared up.
jimloy

Postby jimloy on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Still no news? This lack of information will surely affect the bids for the above matches. The bids all have deadlines.
jimloy

Postby rich beckwith on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:53 am

Carlo Bordini sent me his opinion some time ago that bids should continue on the usual schedule with World title Match bids (or, at least an expression of interest) and World Qualifier bids due by December 1st. Then the bid and its amount, if approved, should be put before Michele to decide if he wants to play it out.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Return to Tournament Discussion