Online checkers library.

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Re: Online checkers library.

Postby tgf on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:52 pm

I do not know if you guys aware of the videos in the library, I put just a few, so far no interest shown.
I searched for years for one particular video with Marion Tinsley on the old show that I saw some 30 years ago, proud to finally have it.
http://checkersusa.com/gallery/video/checkers_around/
Can someone edit out commercials there?
tgf

Postby liam stephens on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:40 pm

The videos of Marion Tinsley (1957) and Charles Walker (1991) on the American Game Show "To Tell The Truth"
were shown on the Online Museum of Checkers site, by Jay H, some considerable time ago,under the " Articles" heading.

See:
http://www.online-museum-of-checkers-history.com/
Last edited by liam stephens on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liam stephens

Postby tgf on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Yes, full credit to them, I searched for it for many years in other places, only the museum had it.
tgf

Postby tgf on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:28 pm

The games of the American championships recently added seems very popular, people study on line.
Today a new country appeared - someone in Peru has downloaded many Straight checkers books.
Other active countries are South Africa, Barbados, Canada, Italy, only a few from Great Britain and Ireland.
tgf

Postby tgf on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:06 pm

I once asked here how many countries played straight checkers, surprisingly people did not know.
I thought all former Great Britain colonies played checkers, just to get a general scope of game popularity.

There is a significant interest in straight checkers at the library, I pulled the top 25 countries in the list below based on number of books looked at.
Of course the library is not advertised (this site for example would not put it as a recommended link) so not many people are aware of it.
On the other hand people who visited the library to see their type of checkers were probably curious of other types including checkers.
So the list below is not scientific, but still interesting:
country books
Australia 13
Barbados 159
Brazil 133
Canada 473
China 46
Curasao 10
Germany 131
Denmark 8
Ecuador 17
Estonia 47
Spain 94
France 53
United Kingdom 287
Ireland 57
Israel 74
Italy 200
Kenya 227
Lithuania 114
Nigeria 9
Netherlands 37
Peru 118
Philippines 6
Poland 38
Portugal 5
Romania 14
Russia 119
Trinidad and Tobago 6
Ukraine 5
United States 1055
Venezuela 25
South Africa 421

I did another experiment - a message would pop up each time someone opened the page asking to leave a note in the Guestbook.
The message ran for several months, sadly EVERYONE declined. Truly sad.
tgf

Postby Bill Salot on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 pm

I did another experiment - a message would pop up each time someone opened the page asking to leave a note in the Guestbook.
The message ran for several months, sadly EVERYONE declined. Truly sad.

I think it is a similar situation to the large number of non-voting visitors to the problem contest site. They have time enough to visit, but they are not inclined to participate. I may be wrong, but I think most of us checker players are shy when it comes to venturing too far into a public or internet arena.

Is there any other explanation?
Bill Salot

Postby tgf on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Perhaps they see sites as tv, to be watched but not participate. I actually closed a couple of rooms as the result, the Brazilians for example downloaded thousands of books each over the years but all in silence, never a single hello, despite my attempts to reach them. If they do not want to talk to me I do not want to see them.
tgf

Postby tgf on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:30 am

Add Pakistan to the list of actively interested in straight checkers
tgf

Postby tgf on Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:35 am

Mr. Clayton Nash and Mr. Ed Gilbert found the site and were kind enough to let me know. Mr. Gilbert also contributed an incredibly rare "Magic Modern" pamphlet, the puzzles there are fantastic!
tgf

Postby tgf on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Last month I visited a player in North Carolina and installed thousands of books, magazines, positions and animated games on his computer for he was uncomfortable using internet.
He just sent me a thank you note saying he had some paper books but could not read words because of small letters. Now he just zooms the page and reads in comfort! Wait till he discover book animations! :)

Other people told me that it was often easier to find books in the library than searching for them at home in boxes. Yet others mentioned how they used to carry books to tournaments - now they could access any book from where ever they were!

Jake
tgf

Postby tgf on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 am

Yesterday the library underwent another massive download attack, just got the daily summary, 29,102 files , 13.35 GB.
There were many similar attacks in the past, in fact several last week alone, but never on such scale.
The library was never built for security, it was just a way to share freely among colleagues, with these programmatic attacks I do not know who is friend and who is foe.
I never had any complains against Straight checkers players, their conduct was always exemplary, but this program yesterday downloaded all your books too.
So with heavy heart I suspend the library, need to rethink...
tgf

Postby Ed Gilbert on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 am

Jake, my web host has a way to block an IP address, or a range of IP addresses. Maybe you could block the offenders.

-- Ed
Ed Gilbert

Postby tgf on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks Ed,

I have blocked thousands of IP addresses in web.config (I use Asp.Net), but many programs use fake IP to front and I cannot stop them, I asked my provider to block them at their level, same result.
The owner of this particular IP, a highly respected person, just contacted me, he did not do nothing improper.

Jake
tgf

Postby tgf on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 am

I was told there are many sites offering an easy way to download sites and directories, from user's perspective its a valuable tool to save time, just click and get several hundreds books.
What about site's owner perspective?
tgf

Postby chipschap on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Many download sites are coded so that a given IP address can only download a certain number of items in a certain time period.
chipschap

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion