The Unknown, Final Games of Chinook With A 10-Piece Database

Discussion and analysis about a full game.

The Unknown, Final Games of Chinook With A 10-Piece Database

Postby Ed Trice on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:00 am

I suppose not many people are aware of the fact that Chinook played a 2-game 11-man ballot match when it had its 10-piece database completed. This took place on June 12, 2005. It is the only match where Chinook had all of its databases 100% correct. It is also the only match with it using its 10-piece databases. Some of you may recall that Gil Dodgen and I verified the 8-piece database in December 2001, and Ed Gilbert the 9- and 10-piece databases in July 2005. Chinook's data needed no correction in 2005, so even though the match was played one month before Ed Gilbert finished his 10-piece databases, the databases were still perfect in that respect.

Some interesting notes about this match:

The "human" player went a man-down against Chinook in one of the games, and held it to a draw.
Chinook returned the extra checker in an unconventional way, rather than play the line out and force the human to recover it with a 2x1.
The final position in the above game was a 10-piece ending where each side had one king.

I happen to know these details, as I was the human player.

The games have been submitted to the International Computer Games Association Journal for publishing, as a historical footnote, these are the last two games ever played against Chinook. Once that publication is out, I will release the games.
Ed Trice

Return to Games