North Carolina Open Checker Ty

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

North Carolina Open Checker Ty

Postby JR Smith on Mon May 15, 2006 3:37 pm

North Carolina Open Checker Ty in Greensboro, NC at the Lodge America Hotel May 18th, 19th, & 20th.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Re: North Carolina Open Checker Ty

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue May 23, 2006 8:46 am

The results of the NC Checker Ty was posted on the ncc website as follows:

masters:

1. Webster, John (Stoneville) 24 pts.,
2. Laverty, Tim (Sanford) 18 pts.,
3. Lowder, Elbert (Sanford) 16 pts.,
4. Lindsay, Gene (Morristown) 14 pts.,
5. Bulstra, Jan (Cornelius) 12 pts.,
6. Rayevsky, Anatoly (Huntersville), 0 pts.,

majors:

1. Stanley, Teal (Greensboro) 22 pts.,
2. Shultz, Ken (Stoneville), 20 pts.,
3./4. Jones, Ben (Hubert) 18 pts.,
3./4. McClintock, Bill (Greensboro) 18 pts.,
5. Lowe, Cecil (Colerain) 18 pts., (less HP)
6. Ross, Mike (Burlington) 14 pts.,
7. McClellan, Joe (Winston-Salem) 14 pts., (less HP)
8. Webster, Jeff (Stoneville) 14 pts., 8less HP)
9. Michael, Larry (Lexington) 12 pts.,
10. Stanley, Bill (Greensboro) 10 pts.,
11. Pickart, Clint (Sanford) 10 pts., (less HP)
12. Burnett, Bill (Greensboro) 8 pts.,
13. Smith, JR (Greesboro) 6 pts.,

The tournament was dedicated to Les Balderson.

Cgrts. to John Webster and Teal Stanley,

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue May 23, 2006 11:48 am

The last person on this list in Master Section - Mr. Rayevsky. He recently, only few months ago, immigrated from Ukraine and rarely speak English. He used to be a good master in 10x10. I spoke with him on phone before tournament started and spoke after.

The very good thing is - he wasn't disappointed at all with his results and is eager to start study a new game. He asked me about books he can use for ending and opening study.

Anatoly told me, that he obviously plan to attend National in Cleveland, and very possible - Pennsylvania tournament. I think Anatoly joinment with ACF is a great thing which will benefit both.

He've got 0 points, because NC ty's usually are using the same rules, as in National - winner takes everything. With such a good collection of names - Webster, Laverty, Lowder, Lindsay, Bulstra - it hard to drew all 4 games round on the first occcasion.

I suggested Anatoly to play in Major Division in National.

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

2006 NC Open

Postby JR Smith on Tue May 23, 2006 1:28 pm

Detail Results are available on http://www.nccheckers.org under calendar and click event and then results.

Anatoly Rayevsky is a new checker player and a friendly gentleman with a pleasant nature. He has a lot of heart and will no doubt be back playing our Master Division Checker shortly. I understand he is a Master of 10X10 Russian Checker, but hasn't converted to our 8x8 English rules just yet. We unfairly played him in the Masters, I apologize for this.

I have some pictures of his lovely family on photo gallery in this ty.
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Postby Patrick Parker on Tue May 23, 2006 2:47 pm

jr....do u have another email....would u email me on it
it wont let me email your current email for some reason
Patrick Parker

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue May 23, 2006 3:22 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:1. Webster, John (Stoneville) 24 pts., ... 3. Lowder, Elbert (Sanford) 16 pts., ...

John result is superb and phenomenal ! 24 points means - 5 winning rounds from 7. Fantastic !

It was very painful for me to see Mr. Lowder results. It is not his usual zone. I hope he will do it much better at National in Medina, as he did in 2004 and 2005.

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
Alex_Moiseyev

Mistake to play in the Masters??

Postby Alan Millhone on Tue May 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Hello Everyone:

It is not a mistake to play in the Masters. If you want to learn, why not get educated by the very best? Most Masters notate their games, take their time, and exhibit the temperment needed to be a Master player. I appreciate the Masters letting me play in their group. You can learn a lot by watching and playing the best.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
District 6 Champion
==============================================="" Looking for my copy of SIXTH "
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Re: Mistake to play in the Masters??

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue May 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Alan Millhone wrote:It is not a mistake to play in the Masters.

Of course it is not mistake ! It is a great privelegy and recognition. ACF documents and regulations require from player to have rating at least 2200-2250+ to play in Master Section. This make alot of sense.

People should try to play in the higher Division, and this should not be just a result of their personal wishes only. It should also be result of good performance.

Otherwise - why we need different Divisions ? :lol: And whats happened, if all 120 :P attendants of the National tourney in Medina want to play in Master Division and get educated ? :shock:

If people can play in Master Section without any efforts putted in, why we don't allow them to play in the Qualify tournament or World Championship ? Also very good way to learn the game and how to use clocks.

Alan, no one allowed or permit you to play in Master Section, but your performance. You proved well that you belong here. :lol:

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Wed May 24, 2006 11:45 am

"Mis-management of time" was one of the great statements that came out of the Prague play-offs.
Its prob. a very innovative and so much better way of saying my clock fell but its certainly something that will remain with me till the day im called to book!

I think as far as i recall it was a statement made by R.Beckwith (or to Richard )when asked how M.Holmes did in his game with J.Morrison (and you may correct me if im wrong) but for me it was one of the highlights of Prague and what wonderful use of the English language.

This brings me on nicely to the actual issue of ......Mismanagement of Time...yes!!.......if MH. has the ability to do it then is this the legacy of him playing most Tys without strict time controls such as clocks? (Yes i know hes not the first nor the last)and of course begs the question ...what chance have mere mortals.

But what a great ring it has to it......Mismanagement of Time??.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Wed May 24, 2006 12:06 pm

What wonderful news of John Webster (N.C) winning his local State Ty.
I had the pleasure of meeting John and some family members in Vegas01 and also at the airport as we departed and he stuck me as one hell of a nice man.

Well done and congratulations.
tommyc

Postby tommyc on Sat May 27, 2006 7:33 am

I must apologise and correct my original post on MISMANAGEMENT OF TIME....i believe it was RBeckwith who lost to Morrison on mismanagement and it was MHolmes who coined that great phrase.

:oops:

Nevertheless it didnt lose any of its flavour.
tommyc

Who plays in Master ?

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue May 30, 2006 11:28 pm

Alan Millhone wrote:It is not a mistake to play in the Masters. If you want to learn, why not get educated by the very best?

Here what I find out in the April 2006 ACF Bulletin, page iii (3rd cover). It seems like a correct answer on this question. :lol:

===============================================================

The article is called: "Scoring Procedure for the 2006 National Tournament"

Official ACF ratings will be used as a guide to placing entrants into the appropriate division (Masters, Majors, or Minors). The Seeding Committee will use the current ratings are available at the time of registration. The following guidelines were adopted by the Executive Committee for the 1998 National (reference: August 1998 ACFB #274, P. 1) A summary of the main points is given below. The ratings cutoffs for Masters / Majors / Minors are 2300 and 1950. The gray areas are 2250-2300 nd 1900-1950. That is, players with a rating of 2300 and higher will enter Master Division. Players with ratings of 1950-2250 will be placed in Majors, and entrants with a rating 1900 and lower shall enter Minors. Gray area people may play either up or down, no question asked. A player may move up one division (but not too divisions) if no serious objections is made, subject to review of seeding committee. Winners of the Majors and Minors divisions must move up a class for the next three National Tourneys. A player may appeal to the seeding committee to play in a lower division if there is just cause (recent illness, inactivity, etc.) For new players or players with "Question mark" ratings (where there is unsufficient data), the seeding committee is to use their best judgement based on knoweldges, experience, etc

Excellent article ! Referee should have an easy life follow it.

Respectfully,

Alex Moiseyev
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Tournament Discussion