Message from Jim Mortimer

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

Message from Jim Mortimer

Postby Lindus Edwards on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:18 pm

I was asked by Mac Banks to post the following message which he received from Jan Mortimer's husband Jim:

Hi Mac i have tried to get on the forum to thank every one for the cards and comments posted but haven't got password etc so can you go online on behalf of the family and thank every one in the checker world. we gave Jan a great send off with a lovely service she had prepared herself and had about 450 people attend and i think Jan would have been very surprised at that number and also all the cards and flowers that were sent.
the family are coping well with our loss and we have had a few get together to celebrate her life and have decided to do some to commemorate Jan, as you know she was going into Southland Boys High to teach the boys checkers so we have decided to give the trophy Jan won in Barbados to the school and for them to run a yearly checker tournament and the family are putting up $100.00 per year as prizes , we are going to put a small plaque on the trophy with Jans name on it
also can you mention that if any one in the federation ever comes to NZ to get in touch with the family .
on another note am looking at going back to the USA next year staring in Miami and doing the east cost and if any one wants to see a clip of my trip last year go into you tube and type in snapshot usa trip 2014 video there by Mark Cox

regards
jim
Lindus Edwards

Re: Message from Jim Mortimer

Postby liam stephens on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Thank you Lindus for adding this message to the Forum.
It’s great to hear that that there is a permanent trophy and annual tournament being held in commemoration of Jan.
I am sure she will always be remembered by those fortunate enough to have known her either in person or online.
liam stephens

Postby Lindus Edwards on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Thank you Liam for the kind words about our now departed and great friend Jan. Yes, it is wonderful that she will be remembered in this way. I cannot express in words how much I miss her. A wonderful lady indeed.
Lindus Edwards

Postby Patrick Parker on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:10 pm

Going back years I started saving my games with Jan before I ever went to tournaments. She taught me much and was above my level when I was a kid. Then my friend competed on an even level until I surpassed her. Once my goal was to get a win and hours of conversation. I know as sweet as she was her family is missing her and I hope they know how much some of us appreciated her too. Love you kiwinurse
Patrick Parker

Return to General Discussion