Interesting Russian site about draughts

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Interesting Russian site about draughts

Postby Igor on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:15 pm

I’d like to inform American Checkers lovers about very interesting Russian draughts site: http://64-100.com/ . To my opinion it is the best source of information about draughts events on 100 and 64 boards in Russia as well as all over the World. The Chief Editor is Ivan Trofimov. He gives the objective picture of the situation in the Draughts World without any preconceived notion. Take a look! Pay attention! It is worthy…

Recently I’ve published an article about Checkers there in which I compare two kinds of the games: Russian draughts and English-American Checkers. The whole site is in Russian language. So I want to give you some instructions how to translate the site into English with Google web page translator.

1. Open the Google web page translator, click the link: http://itools.com/tool/google-translate-web-page-translator
2. In the field “URL of web page to translate” put the address of the site that you want to be translated. For example, my last article about checkers: http://64-100.com/krasota-prostota-i-slozhnost-chekersa
3. In the field “From” setect language - “Russian”
4. In the field “To”“English”
5. Click – “Translate”

Enjoy it!
Igor

Re: Interesting Russian site about draughts

Postby George Hay on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:52 pm

Igor, that is a very good web site and your article is excellent! I like your example of an Anglo-American Checkers position. Like in chess, the challenge in abbreviated algebraic notation is in the abbreviation! But I worked through it, and I am glad I did. Your checkers position perfectly matches the title of your article! There is no need for Google Translate as the upper right hand corner of the home page and your article page have a "select language" corner with English being one of the main languages!

Beauty, simplicity and complexity of Chequers

http://64-100.com/krasota-prostota-i-slozhnost-chekersa

Thanx for sharing this with us!

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Igor on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 am

Thank you George for Your notes. The translator on the upper right corner does not work always properly. Sometimes Internet Explorer has probliems. But if it works You are right...
Igor

Postby liam stephens on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:43 am

I tried the site translator, but it didn’t work – probably a Windows or Internet Explorer glitch.
I then tried Google translator and that worked. However, the resulting page was to some extent hard to follow and poorly translated.
The gist of Igor’s proposal, I think, is an appeal to the other draughts organisations to try their hand at Checkers.
A laudable aim, though, so far, only the Italian Association appears to have done so.

Igor points out the weakness of Flying Kings (in the variants that employ long kings and the backward jump of the men) and how it takes at least 3 Kings to beat one King.
In fact I noticed in some recent FMJD 100sq tournaments there appears to be two types of draw, a minus (-) points draw and a plus(+) points draw.
The former applies where a King minority secures the draw, the latter where the final position has equal pieces. It is apparent these weaknesses are a matter of concern to the FMJD.
Igor also points out, with an example, the superiority of the endgame in Checkers compared to other variants. Indeed, one need only consult any of Boland’s books to see this borne out.

Derek Oldbury in an article published in his magazine A Game of Draughts Vol 1, No 4, Mar-Apr 1947, pointed out that in Draughts (in contrast to Chess)
anything which restricts the movement of the pieces improves the game.

Here are a few of his conclusions:

“In Draughts… the power of the pieces is correctly reduced to a minimum; the men being able to move one square only (they could hardly do less), and to capture forwards only;
whilst the Kings do not possess more than twice the power of the men. Any innovations which increase the power of the pieces must necessarily react unfavourably
on the science of the game, bringing it nearer to the chaos previously outlined.”

“Therefore; such rules as “long Kings” horizontal and vertical captures by the Kings, and backward captures by the men ; all tend to produce a game which is less scientific,
and which therefore demands less skill and perception from the player than does the game as we know it.”

“… positional play becomes subordinate to stroke and shot play ; the gaining of material being practically the sole method of winning; and end-game play,
which in English Draughts attains heights of unsurpassed beauty, disappears almost entirely in the welter of ‘long Kings’ dashing madly from one region of the board to another.”
===============================================================================

So, minimalism rules ok !! (any doubts? just try John Adams’ Fearful Symmetries. But I digress :D )
liam stephens

Postby George Hay on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Liam, good points! At least on the 8x8 board with the long king (chess bishop like moves) "only" three kings against one king are needed for the win. With 10x10 it is three kings and one man vs one king for a win! Or, the way I play as a practical matter, four kings vs one king for a 10x10 win. :) Of course, there are positional exceptions just as in Anglo-American Checkers. Thank you for the Oldbury quotes!

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:12 pm

George Hay wrote:"only" three kings against one king are needed for the win.
To be accurate, I should say that single King should not be located on the main diagonal A1-H8 (29-4). And If single king is on main diagonal, then 3 Kings on 8x8 board are still not enough for win (with few exceptions).
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby George Hay on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Mr. Alex, thank you for that important clarification!

--George Hay
George Hay

Postby liam stephens on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Thank you George and Alex for those enlightening clarifications.

PS If you are a fan of Buster Keaton silent movies, the following is a must:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CanQVMNslE0

(ok, ok, I should have put it on Broken Boards)
liam stephens

Postby George Hay on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:05 am

Nice One! A Buster Keaton collage put to the music of Fearful Symmetries by John Adams, representing the fearful symmetry of the Beauty, simplicity and complexity of Chequers. Two Thumbs Up!
George Hay

Postby tgf on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 am

http://64-100.com/ is indeed a superb site and the editor has a firm grip on current events.

Speaking of Oldbury - I posted one of the volumes of his Encyclopedia in the library but need a new scanner with book edge in order to protect spines.
Suggestions on the brand?
tgf

Postby Igor on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:24 am

Very interesting Information you can find on the official site "Section 64" of FMJD: http://wc64.org/en/. The president is Vladimir Langin.

World Draughts-64 Championships in 2015 among men and women will be held in St. Petersburg (Russia) from 02 of October to 11 of October, 2015 Organizes of Championship are International Draughts Federation IDF with the support of the Committee for Physical Culture and Sports of St. Petersburg and the Ministry of Sports of Russia.

Strongest players of the world from forty-seven countries representing 4 continents: Europe, Asia, Africa and America will take part in the competition. They will play Russian and Brasilian draughts.
Igor

Postby Igor on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:53 am

On the Russian site of Ivan Trofimov http://64-100.com/ I've just published my report about two last Checkers events in Knighton (Wales)
Igor

Postby George Hay on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Another ***** Article! :)
George Hay

Return to Tournament Discussion