2016 ACF National Checker Tournament

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

2016 ACF National Checker Tournament

Postby neilwenberg on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:34 am

The following is a letter I sent to ACF president Millhone. 6 August 2015
F. Alan Millhone
P. O. Box 1
Belpre, OH 45714-0001
Alan,
Congratulations on your fine showing at the 2015 National Checker Tournament. You are a tough, cunning, studious player and a gentleman to boot.
The main reason for this letter is to try to see if the 2016 ACF National Checker Tournament could be held at Branson, MO. The venue we had for the Missouri Mixer was excellent and Joe McDaniel proved to be a very gracious and generous host. I believe Joe would also like to see the 2016 National at Branson. Our attendance was excellent with the master class being a very tough field. The major class was also very challenging.
The motel accommodations were excellent and the motel also had a playing room that I believe would lodge our national tournament nicely. I felt prices for the motel rooms were reasonable and I would think that the motel that was used would really be interested in accommodating our next national tournament and might even give a better break on room prices and playing room. The lady running the motel was easy to work with and the McDaniels were gracious hosts.
There would also be much for spouses to do in Branson with a variety of shows that should suit just about everyone’s tastes. I would think some of these activities could also be visited by players in the evening.
I feel that the same number of playing days, the time length, and the number of rounds used in the 2015 National would be satisfactory to most. To get other points of view besides mine, contact Joe McDaniel, J.R. Smith, Alex M., and any other tournament participant of the 2015 Missouri Mixer.
I had a great time there even though I did not meet my playing expectations; I met several checker players who had never attended a tournament of that caliber before. I plan to be in attendance if the ACF 2016 National is held at Branson, providing I am still alive. I would also like to see the 2016 event be named the Gayle Helterbrand Memorial Tournament. This would honor a fine Missouri checker player.
I am going to put the contents of this letter on the ACF forum, but I felt I should out of courtesy, send you a copy too.
Checkeristically Yours,
Neil H. Wenberg
4613 Beach Lane South
Fargo, ND 58104-6003
Phone 701-799-4677
Email=wenbergn@yahoo.com
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Re: 2016 ACF National Checker Tournament

Postby okrunjoe on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:08 am

We plan to submit bid for the national 3-move tournament in Branson for July, 2016. Initial bid will be $8000 and should top $10,000 by tournament time. We will schedule event for July 27-30, Wednesday through Saturday, with everyone playing 2-3-3-2 rounds same as the GAYP tournament in Lebanon. We hope to have at least 40 players. We will offer shuttle service from and to the Springfield airport at no cost to the players. We plan to provide free noon meal to everyone on Thursday and Friday. There will be an awards ceremony on Saturday after everyone is finished playing. Plaques will be given to top 3 in each division. In addition there will be a special honoree. If we get the bid, we will provide details to everyone.

Jeannie and Joe McDaniel
okrunjoe

Postby neilwenberg on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:46 am

We need more input for this fine event from the "at Large" checker world
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Postby champion374 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:30 am

Will there be any Canadian tournament again>?
Kent ,,Ace,, Layne checker player from Barbados
champion374

Return to Tournament Discussion