Missouri Mixer - June 19th thru 21st

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: Missouri Mixer - June 19th thru 21st

Postby neilwenberg on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:22 am

I personally want to thank Joe McDaniel and his gracious wife for being involved in the sponsoring of such a fine tournament. Thanks also to all who contributed their time and money to making this a first class event. Darlene Stallsworth did an excellent job of recording and keeping track of the tournament scores and places and her husband George was a firm but fair referee. This was the strongest Master's Class that I had seen in my short time playing in major tournaments, to include 5/6 nationals. 16 Major class players and 19 masters was a fine showing of player participation. I also met many fine people, some of whom I have only talked with on the net. Congratulations to all who played include those who won each class. I echo Alex's words, "I am playing checkers not chess." The only difference between Alex and me is that he plays the game very well and I play it poorly. I still enjoyed participating and if the Lord gives me another year and the 2016 Nationals are held in Branson, I plan to be a participant.
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Chexhero wrote:It's unfortunate that their final round was not played
Why not, we both were benefitted from this:

1) It's 12 hours driving from Branson MO to Dublin OH and I get home 2.5 hours earlier around midnight (instead 2-3 AM).

2). He is from poor family and extra $300.00 may greatly help him and his family.

3). This raised his self confidence in upcoming match with M. Borghetti

4). There is nothing I have to prove !

5) He called me 2 draws and I accepted his offer. It is not easy for me as real gentleman to refuse such offer. Today I am thinking - maybe I shouldn't be too polite and too gentle ? :D

AM
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Chexhero on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:23 pm

There is nothing I have to prove !

Idk Alex. It was Kondlo who won the qualifier and earned the right to challenge for the title. Perhaps you could have proved he hasn't quite surpassed you yet? I am not so sure. I am sure most people would have liked to see a showdown between two of the game's best at one of the biggest tournaments of the year, which Joe McDaniel put a lot of hard earned money into. While it may have been a kind gesture to let Lubabalo walk away with more money, you could have always given some more away to him yourself if you had beat him. In any regards, I feel there was reason to play this match. Its like two fighters who have played a hard fought intense battle for 9 rounds, only to both just agree to skip the last round and call it a match, disappointing the fans. Like you said, checkers is sport. In major sports, teams, individuals normally battle it out until the end. Of course, if you had the tournament wrapped up it would be a different story, but it was tied!
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:01 pm

My fault - shame on me. Next time I won't accept his offer. He needed this tie more than I did. It was important for him to keep self confidence and recognition in his country

AM
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Chexhero on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:22 am

Alex, if you feel in your heart of hearts accepting his offer was the right thing to do, then that's what you had to do I guess. My thing is that this skipping the last round seems to becoming a tradition among many ACF players, especially masters. I get there are reasons behind it, but I feel it takes away from the seriousness of the sport.
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:01 am

Chexhero wrote:seriousness of the sport.
Got it.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Bill Salot on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:45 pm

This tournament was a treat for me. My oldest son, daughter and son-in-law drove me from Virginia to Branson and back, my first vacation in years. Otherwise I could not have attended. I had a ball!

I see that the ratings that were used to assign players to the two divisions were effective and almost prescient. The two top rated players in each division took first and second place in those divisions, and the lowest rated player in the Masters division clinched last place going away.

I personally came away with one of the best prizes of all. All of players in the Masters division graciously gave me their autographs. That is something I will treasure the rest of my days.

I suggest for future national and international tournaments that all players be asked at the outset to provide their autographs on a list of players in their respective divisions. Copies of the autographed lists could then be given to all players who want them. The original could be a prize for somebody.
Bill Salot

Previous

Return to Tournament Discussion