2014 US National

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: 2014 US National

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Sergio - everything possible with current ACF administration !!!

Just another wrong thing with this unfortunate event: ACF changed the system, Swiss was replaced by Robin Round, but the rules to count Honor Points were not changed ! I am curious - what kind of people govern us ?! :roll: :evil: :mrgreen:

And of course - this venue is a business place, Gameshop, and it's open to public. Many people comes in the evening to play games after 5-6 PM and there were a lot of people in the morning on Saturday and Sunday. Very noisy. Good luck to those who will play in Qualify Tournament at the same venue! WCDF find it better than Las Vegas - so be it!

I played it a bit softly and didn't win many rounds, but in other hands I didn't lose any round - not too bad. Ron and Lubabalo played game of chance, I tried to play game of skills :D

Trophy for the 1st place was given to Lubabalo, I didn't take trophy for the 2nd place and still owe one for the 1st place from ACF which Alan Millhone promised to bring to OH State in September.

On positive note - Referee did an excellent job and from price money I bought some games for my kids in the shop.

Regards,

AM
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Palomino on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:59 pm

Congratulations Alex. I'm honored to have you as a friend!
A big congratulations also goes to Lubabalo. Good job both of you!!
Ron King's performance was also outstanding and I think equally great. Congratulations "Suki" !
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby sergio on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:55 am

Congratulations to Alex, Lubabalo and King. Great tournament for all you.

I would like to thank you Joe Moore. He did a good job, thanks to him we saw the main games of this event.

Since I should take part in WQT in November, I would appreciate it if someone tells me information on hotels. First of all, I'm interested in hotels near the venue, if there are any. I would like to avoid taking buses and asking for lifts

Best regards
Sergio Scarpetta
sergio

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 am

Sergio, many thanks for kind words.

sergio wrote:Since I should take part in WQT in November, I would appreciate it if someone tells me information on hotels.
I was driving around this place in all directions for the week and I seriously suspect that there are any close motels/hotels around Gameshop in 2-3 miles. Daily taxi maybe the only solution if you don't like lifting.

Good luck to you, Matteo and other WQT participants. WCDF decided that this place is better than Las Vegas which was another bid - so be it!

AM
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Palomino on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:58 am

Sergio,
I contacted a couple of hotels/motels near the airport and asked about shuttle service and was
told by one that they use a taxi service that sends a van which will carry 5 or 6 passengers traveling
to the same location (venue) and the cost is shared.

If severals of the players stay at the location this could be a good option you. I'll check into this
more for you later.

"Pal"
Palomino

Postby Palomino on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:04 am

Alex,
How was your stay at the Red Roof Inn?
Would you recommend them?
Palomino

Postby jimloy on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am

See the North Carolina site for the standings: http://www.nccheckers.org/ (calendar sub-page, end of July, results)
Last edited by jimloy on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimloy

Postby Chexhero on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:24 am

From what I heard, the ACF will be addressing the current venue for the qualifier and may be changing locations. So I would hold off on any early bookings anywhere nearby until this is addressed. And thank you Sergio for the kind words.
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 am

Palomino wrote:Alex, How was your stay at the Red Roof Inn? Would you recommend them?
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who has a car ! :D Clean, silent, professional, no maintenance problems, safely. But it is located 5-6 miles away from GameShop.

When I drove back-and-forward, I saw on my way few hotels 2.5-3.5 miles away from playing location. But I don't recommend anything so far, until I seriously analyze reviews.

AM
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Palomino on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:39 am

Sergio,
I checked with Yellow Cab and the cost would be about $16.00 ( about 12 Euros) for a one way ride (6 miles) each morning and another $16.00 each evening for the return trip. This would cover the cost for up to 4 passengers.
($2.45 for the cab plus $2.25 per mile)

If the venue changes as Joe has indicated it might....then ???

"Pal"
Palomino

Previous

Return to Tournament Discussion