2014 District 3 / Pennsylvania State tournament

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

2014 District 3 / Pennsylvania State tournament

Postby Chexhero on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 pm

The 2014 District 3 / Pennsylvania State tournament will be held on June 7th & 8th at the Ramada Conference Center in State College, PA. (1450 S Atherton St.) Registration will be from 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM with a business meeting to follow from 8:30 AM to 9:00 AM. ACF membership will be required for entrance into the tournament. Membership may be paid on site. The entry fee for this tournament will be $20. Play will begin at 9:00 AM on Saturday and 8:30 AM on Sunday. There will be 7 rounds with 2 ½ hours per round (time-clocks will be utilized). Provided ample attendance there will be 2 divisions, majors and masters which will be determined by ACF ratings. In the event that there is not an adequate number of participants in a division, a decision will be made during the business meeting. Pairings will be determined by round robin if there are 8 players in a division and Swiss method if there are more/less than 8 players. There will be a half hour break between each round and an hour break for dinner after round 3. The tournament will conclude with a recognition and awards for tournament winners and participants from approximately 5:00 PM to 5:30 PM. The Ramada is an award winning hotel with many amenities including a restaurant on site. The restaurant offers a continental breakfast for $5.99 per person and hot/cold breakfast for $7.99 per person. The discounted room rate offered to ACF members is $69 per night. Make sure to mention that you are a part of the ACF group to get this rate. (814) 238 - 3001
Chexhero

Re: 2014 District 3 / Pennsylvania State tournament

Postby Chexhero on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:30 pm

If you would like to check out the hotel here is a link to their website.
http://ramadasc.com/door/
Chexhero

Postby Michael Holmes on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:44 pm

I will not be able to make it this weekend.
Michael Holmes

Postby Chexhero on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Sadly, only 4 people showed up for this tournament. Here are the standings after 4 rounds and the end of day 1:

1. Richard Beckwith: 14
2. Joe Moore.: 11
3. Mark Sokolovsky: 7
4. Joe Moore Sr: 0

Number 4 is my father. He is a beginner and this marks only his second ACF tournament. Very proud he could come with me this year. The hotel is beautiful and very comfortable beds. Also a very nice playing room. Final results to be posted tomorrow.
Chexhero

Postby Chexhero on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Final results after 6 rounds. Originally planned for 7 rounds but shortened due to low attendance.

1. Richard Beckwith: 19 ($150)
2. Joe Moore: 17 ($100)
3. Mark Sokolovsky: 12 ($80)
4. Joe Moore Sr.: 0 ($50)

Richard Beckwith wins the tournament. Joe Moore retains D-3 and PA state title.

More details to come.
Chexhero

Postby Chexhero on Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:15 pm

For the past 2 years now, the District 3 and PA tournament has been on life support, only drawing 4 total players each time. Last year the scheduling got messed up and it ended up getting scheduled on the same weekend as the Ohio Checker Meet. So it was understandable that perhaps, that had a lot to do with the low attendance. This year, I am not sure why such the low turnout, as the tournament was scheduled about 3 months in advance and well advertised. There were some people who expressed interest, but were unable to attend for some reason or another. I understand that we all have very busy lives. Therefore I worked and will continue to work diligently to make this an event worth taking time out of your busy schedule for. I would appreciate any feedback in regards to what I (we) can do next year to make the District 3 tournament a success. Would a certain time of year work better? More prize money? Cheaper hotel? Or anything in particular you may be dissatisfied about? I am aware the PA/District 3 traditionally does not draw a big crowd, but it normally attracts more than 4 people. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this and what can be done to earn your attendance next year. I am open to any constructive criticism. I won't take it personally, I simply want the best for the ACF and its members. Thank you.
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Congratulations to Richard for winning event and Joe for keeping respectable title.

Originally, back to the beginning of year, I planned to attend PA State 2014 and still planned to attend it until ... Friday, June 6! Unfortunately I had abend, call from command center and production problem which kept me busy whole Friday until 10 PM. I still though I can make it - it is 6 hours driving from Dublin to State College PA, but now my wife said "NO". That's the whole story.

In general I am OK with location and June, but 2nd week would work better for me. There are many various activities happened in the beginning of June.

Sorry folks that I missed it this year. I will try it next year.

Respectfully,

AM
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Chexhero on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback Alex. I will see what I can do about scheduling it the 2nd weekend of June. My only hesitation is it is the same weekend as the NC 11 Man tournament, as one of my objects was to attract some of the southern players. Do you think the 3rd weekend in June could work for you?
Chexhero

Return to Tournament Discussion