South Carolina Open Ty

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

South Carolina Open Ty

Postby JR Smith on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:30 am

You can see the 2006 SC Open Ty Brochure on http://www.nccheckers.org or contact Connie Brown email: stancon@bellsouth.net
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Conflicts in Events

Postby Michael Holmes on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:34 pm

I also brought this to their attention and he said the dates are set and will not be changed. Last year it conflicted with the 8th IM Match. It looks like it might be a very long time before I visit the SC State Tourney again. I was looking forward to giving them One Hundred and Seventy Five Dollars too!! Not really but that would have been a lot of cash to come up with for a person like me.
Michael
Michael Holmes

2006 SC Open Ty

Postby JR Smith on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:13 am

Several, including myself have mentioned the date conflict with Nationals and the high entry fee for out of state players. They will just have to learn the hard way. I understand if you can finish in the top 5 of your class you will get back more than your entry fee, but what about the average out of state player who just likes to play a good opponent?
A Checker Friend, JR Smith
JR Smith

Re: South Carolina Open Ty

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:37 am

Joe Redd contacted with me back to the middle-end of January and invited me to play in the SC State tournament. I mentioned him immediately at this time (January !!!) about conflict of dates and asked - if it is possible to move dates. Unfortunately, he said - this is impossible, due to Board approval event.

Yes, I can get more than entry fee :lol: in National. However, if trip to Anderson cost me, lets say - 2nd or 3rd place in National, instead 1st or second - this may reduce my price money by many hundred dollars. So ... top players also are facing the same problems.

I really wish to come again to Anderson, but have a serious doubts - I can do this, and then drive the whole Sunday, 10-12 hours to Cleveland, and coming at 2 AM :twisted:

Regards,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Last Year

Postby Michael Holmes on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:56 am

And what about last year when it conflicted with the 8 IM. You had several players that would have attended had it not been for that conflict.
Michael Holmes

South Carolina Tournament Brochure

Postby Alan Millhone on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Hello Checker/Draughts players:

In today's mail I received a beautifully done color brochure that is tri-folded and would have to rank right up there with the Illinois Checker Association's color brochure. I was invited to attend some time ago,but due to the " Arthur Niederhoffer 2006 ACF Youth Tournament" and the ACF " Edward Bruch " Three Move Nationals the following week ..........There is no way I could attend the S.C. Tournament. I have met and played Dr. Ball a couple of friendly games and am sure Dr. Ball's Lander University will host a first rate tournament.Mr. Joe Redd in Anderson mentioned the " Turbo Checkers" to me and perhaps he might elaborate as to how it works on our forum ? In conclusion I wish the S.C. Checker Association every success in their upcoming tournament.

Sincerely:
Alan Millhone, President
American Checker Federation
" An Average Checker Player "
===============================================
" Anxiously awaiting my copy of " SIXTH" ..............................
===============================================
Alan Millhone
Alan Millhone
Site Admin

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:45 pm

The Medina dates were picked at the end of the year and quickly put on ACF calendar.

Nevertheless, we still seem to have overlap with SC tournament and District 1. (The SC dates were unexpected by me.)

Perhaps National Tournament should go back to August next year?

I wish the SC folks well, but I also realize it's tough for the average checker player to have to pick and choose, when there are conflicting events.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:34 pm

Richard when the National Tournament was in August it conflicted with the Pa. Ck. Ty; which was a highly successful tournament at that time. So the Pa. Ck. Ty. was moved to June only to have the National Tournament follow suit and move their tournament to June. It seems that the National Tournament schedules their dates anywhere they want regardless of the fact that other tournaments are scheduled at the same times (and have been scheduled on those dates for many years previous). The Pa. Ck. Ty. and the Ohio Ck. Ty. were scheduled two weeks apart for many years and each had good attendance and each was very successful. Then the National Tournament came in and basically killed the attendance at the Pa Ck. Ty. by scheduling their tournament around that same period of time.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby rich beckwith on Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:48 pm

Good thoughts, Ms. Becky.

I picked the same National dates as in 2005 (which were not picked by me)

Not sure where else Nationals can go though.....July dates would conflict with Southern, and August would discourage youth players, as Josh noted.

PA tournament is certainly important to me as well. Maybe PA can go a week earlier for a little more breathing room?

I picked the same National dates as in 2005 (which were not picked by me). In 2004, National was in August, and I don't recall the PA turnout being that much bigger. In fact, we even had Ron King attend last year's PA because tournament was a "tune-up" to National.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Postby Mr. Checkers on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Richard the Pa. Ck. Ty. and Ohio Ck. Ty that I was talking about was in the 1990's--then they put the National Tournament in that same slot which forced the Pa. Ck. Ty. to move to June. The Pa. Ck. Ty. went from having 30-35 players to 10-12 players these days.
Take care and God Bless. "Mr. Checkers"---Visit with "Inky" at: http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf----"No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted". --Aesop--
Mr. Checkers

Postby Patrick Parker on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:19 pm

i am trying to think of a way for scheduling of these things to make sense

maybe tournaments could scheduled that arent close in proximity at the same time....smaller tournys that wouldnt draw people from all over
say a pa tourny and fl ....i dont see them really competing with each other
could a balance be found that way i am sure this happens but maybe it could be incouraged

or am i wrong?
Patrick Parker

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:04 am

Patrick,

I think you are on the right track.

Yes, I agree state tournaments like PA and FL don't conflict. However, I have seen in the past examples of KY booking the same weekend as the neighboring Illinois 101, which always has early October. And, of course, there are bigger tournaments that draw players from many states, like Nationals, Southern, etc. that everyone may wish to avoid.

Most tournaments tend to pick the same weekends year after year. I think that tournament promoters just need to be aware of these potential conflicts when they are picking dates (esp., if they are picking new dates for their event). It helps when tournament directors can submit their dates to this site (the earlier the better) for all to see. Also, people can look at past (2005) results to see where the gaps in the schedule might be.
Richard Beckwith
rich beckwith

Return to Tournament Discussion