World Championship Match

Discussion about all things non-checkers.

World Championship Match

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:13 am

Does anyone have news from the WCM in Barbados?

Re: World Championship Match

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:33 am

Lol!

The WC matches Moiseyev-King and Breen-Mortimer were already played this year, but NOT in Barbados.
In 2003 Ron King defeated Jack Francis 1-0 with 23 draws in a GAYP WC match, so which match r u talking about?

Greetinx from Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Palomino on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:18 pm

I beleive the match began on Sunday, Nov. 27, between Ron King and Jack Francis for the GAYP Title. 30 games to be played, not sure what day it ends. I would also like to hear how it's progressing but have seen no news of it since the BBS checkers Solutions web site went down.
Palomino

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:03 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:In 2003 Ron King defeated Jack Francis 1-0 with 23 draws in a GAYP WC match

Ingo, in 2003 GAYP WCM versus J. Francis, Ron King won 2 games with 22 draws. Jack Francis sometimes say, that final score is 1-0-22, however I agree with R. King version of score: 2-0-22

In any case they didn't have 23 draws, only 22. After 23 games Jack lost chances to win a title, thats why he consider this as end of match. But in fact - one more last game #24 was played and Ron King won it.

==================================================================

The only registered Barbados resident on this forum is Mr. Schoolboyy Maybe he update us with information. Also guests are allow to make posts here, and someone non-registered is more than welcome to update us with score and other news.

My estimates (without knowing score after 4 days :lol: ): 4-1 in King favor. But we already experienced in the past that I am bad gambler :cry:

Respectfully,

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Palomino on Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:04 pm

You can go to (http://www.nationnews.com) Bardados' Leading Newspaper click on "Sports" under the "NEWS" heading or click on "Entertainment" under the "LIFE" heading, from either page you can do a search of "draughts" and you will find several news articles about the Bajan draughts players, Ron King, Jack francis, & Rawle Williams, but nothing on the GAYP WCM except for an article from Oct. 27, stating that the match was to begin Nov. 27, and end on Dec. 3, 2005.
Palomino

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:09 pm

So we might have already a new world champion, but nobody knows...:-))
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:So we might have already a new world champion, but nobody knows...:-))

Thats a good one !!!!

Logically, WCDF representative and referee approved by WCDF can tell us the true. In 2003 match on Barbados, Charles Walker was referee and WCDF representative. I don't know who performs these duties this year.

I can see the smile on James Morrison face if he reads this :lol: This match should determine his opponent next year.

By the way ... Ingo, do you want to play match with me for 3 moves style ? Let me know ... we can do this some time next year in Germany. Bid should include full vacation coverage for me and my family in Germany for 2 weeks. After match we'll tell people who is a winner and title holder. If I enjoy vacation and don't have a time for match, we can determine who is a title holder with coin :lol: :lol: :lol: and inform World to the rest.
Alex_Moiseyev

King-Francis

Postby CSi on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:22 pm

You are wrong (again!) Alex. The match ended 1-0 in favour of King. It was then decided to play the 24th game as an exhibition. Perhaps if you posted more carefully your posts would be more accurate.
CSi

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:43 pm

I don't think I was wrong. They played 24 games and King won 2 games. So far I haven't heard anything about "exhibition status" of last game. Your message is the first one where I read this.

Also, Ron told me about 2-0-22 score, it wasn't my assumption. Jake beleives score is 1-0-22. Perhaps only WCDF authorities can clarify this for us - how match score was officially registered.

Respectfully,

Alex
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:21 pm

What? Jake? Me?!?

Postby Jake Lopez on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:22 pm

Woops forgot to sign in !!
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

A gentle stream can split a mountain, given enough time

A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic.

A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there.
Jake Lopez

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:40 pm

Anonymous wrote:What? Jake? Me?!?

If you are Jake Francis from Barbados - you ! :lol:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:19 pm

Dear Alex,

you want to come to Germany for a titke defense?
After a short consideration with my father he urged me to refuse this offer, for 20 years ago a certain "Mr. Tinsley" played the same trick on him, and lost to my father in what he called "the checker world championship match" in a 40 games match by 21 straight victories.
My father was very disappointed, when Tinsley took all the score sheets to "publish it in all checker magazines", and my father claims he instead burnt them, and so my father turend away from checkers for the rest of his life...

But to be serious, I heard rumors in Prague that Francis and King were negociating, but never heard of an agreement signed or a public challenge afterwards, seems like I have to read Barbadian newspaper...
I only hohe their games will be available for the public at least at a reasonanble price.

Greetinx from winter-cold Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:43 pm

Ingo_Zachos wrote:I only hohe their games will be available for the public at least at a reasonanble price.

Ingo, you are a great optimist ! You know who is a pessimist ? Informed optimist ! :roll:

Unfortunately I belong to this category. Here is information I have:

1. GAYP Match games 2003 became to public only because Charles Walker took a copy after end of match and bring it to USA. Ron told me that he wanted to write a small match book, or annotate games, but it's never been materialized.

2. Games from First GAYP International match USA vs Barbados also never release to public by organisers. But at this time I was prepared ! Just right after match was over, before everyone left, I asked all USA players to give me score sheets and pass them to Clayton Nash, who processed them and then returned back to all players. Games are safe to history now.

3. Games from all 3 Qualify events in 2004 on Barbados never release to public, including man, woman and youth ty's. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

4. In all my matches with R. King "game issue" always become to be hot during contract negotiations. Ron always is in favor of idea to hold match games for 1-2 years, or more.

5. I am really surprise this strange position of holding (hiding) games, and when I was on Barbados, I tried to explain Bajans, that it is much more beneficciary "to exchange" games. If you want to see games of other players - be ready to send your games to public.

etc

All this information makes me a bit sceptical (I wish I am wrong with this) that GAYP WCM 2005 games will be ever release to public in reasonable time.

Although, it has to be an official scoreseets, approved and signed by referee, otherwise ... I can create you with program brilliant games :lol: :lol: :lol: and say - this is my match games with Richard Beckwith. In reality, me and Richard made alot of mistakes, and this makes games unique and interesting.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby MostFamousDane on Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:36 am

Ingo_Zachos wrote:So we might have already a new world champion, but nobody knows...:-))

Well if a WCDF sponsored match was taking place the WCDF members would be informed about this :(. If this is indeed true its not funny - more like sad.
MostFamousDane

Next

Return to Broken Boards