Rugby World Cup 2011

Discussion about sports besides checkers.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 pm

i think Richard will give Suki a good run for his money.... i am hoping he wins .... i love the underdog and mighty duck movies hahahaha :)

cheers
Danny 'Underdog' Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby tommyc on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:40 am

Good choice Dan "the man" Alv........................it would do no harm if Rich can do it!!
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Tommy, mate, i am starting to think you no longer have a shed ....:D cause maybe you have lost it on a previous bet HAHAHAHAH

I think a tie for first place is a great result and speaks volumes as to how far the competition has come in getting closer to Mr King's level.
cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

I just saw this movie (Invictus) with Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman and it is truly inspiring.... i shed a few tears... it is not about rugby only.... everyone can enjoy it...
i recommend it .... I find Nelson Mandela is one of the most inspiring people around today....a great man !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZY8c_a_dlQ
the plot revolves around the 1994 rugby world cup and Mandela's rise to power....

awesome film...
let me know what you think if you see it
cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:38 pm

New Zealand wins the Rugby World Cup!
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/
George Hay

Postby tommyc on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:13 am

SHED WANTED!!!.................................contact webbellis@rugby.com
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:17 pm

George Hay wrote:New Zealand wins the Rugby World Cup!
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

It was an exciting game, did you see it George? for 20 minutes or so at the end the Kiwis were on the point of crying LOL

tommyc wrote:SHED WANTED!!!.................................contact webbellis@rugby.com
[/quote]

Tommy i bet your shed that somebody else apart from Mr Scarpetta would win the qualifier.... so dont be surprised if you arrive home one of these days and its not there :D
sorry mate i thought i was on a sure thing

cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Danny, I missed the final game, and I just caught up with the highlights. What surprised me was the closeness of the score! But in the end, the home team and world's sentimental favorites were victorious. To call it a hard fought victory is an understatement! --George Hay

P.S. too bad about Tommy's shed! I hope his draughts library wasn't in it!
George Hay

Postby tommyc on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 pm

No Geo..................they re in the boot of my car heading for the Irish Open tomorrow.If i get any offers ill have to sell some books and ;;guess what............BUY MESELF A NEW SHED.!! lol.
tommyc

Postby kiwinurse on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:40 pm

I havent been a rugby fan in the past,but this time i watched the games and they were---- terrific. I cheered on the Welsh and the Irish,and even the Australians in their games.Our national heroes,the all blacks did great,even though the last 5 minutes of the match,caused the nation to just about have a nervous breakdown!Hope you all were able to watch that match.And Danny i felt very sorry for Quaid Cooper,but near the end he gained all our respect.
New Zealand is now caught in victory fever,and everyones smiling,with the world cup(ugly thing that it is)being paraded in the main citys with the all blacks.It was a wonderful time,and really lifted the nation after our big earthquake in Christchurch.
Cost the country millions,but hopefully people who came to the world cup will tell their friends to come and visit us.
kiwinurse

Postby Palomino on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:30 am

HI Jan,

Congratulations to you and all of your fellow New Zealanders! It's a great thing for a nation to have something to collectively celebrate and especially after having suffered a horrendous event like the earthquake in February, as you did.

There's always something new coming along to take away the spotlight so enjoy it while you can. :)

Like you I have not been a fan of rugby as it's not a big thing here. I would not have even known that the U.S. had a team had it not been mentioned by Danny here on the forum. I did find and watch a couple of the Eagle's games on a new sports channel we have and found the games to be interesting to watch. I need to learn more about the rules and everything.

The best to you and all Kiwis..."Pal"
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby kiwinurse on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Thankyou Pal,its lovely of you to say so.New Zealand is such a small nation,so its nice to be a world champion and highlight us to the world.Even though you dont know much about Rugby,as i dont, you would have enjoyed the world cup series.
Its just a shame that mind sports dont get the financial support as Rugby does,which has huge sponsorship here.
kiwinurse

Postby tommyc on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:35 pm

Pal you should get "out more"....................scrum up a bit eh?

And for Jan ...............whats the chances of NZ having 2 world champions any time soon> Cmon yu can do it!!!
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:52 pm

having lived here in Australia for more than half my life... it is almost a duty to tease Kiwis whenever possible....but...

having said that, they should be very very very proud of the way the World Cup was run , the hosting was magnificent and i am sure they will receive lots and lots of tourism due to the world cup being there....
The All Blacks were deserving winners and the whole nation should be proud of them.
I have personally been to New Zealand lots and lots of times and it is one of my favourite places on earth. you feel safe wherever you go, it is always green, the people are genuine, warm, and have a wonderful sense of humour, the landscapes are just UNBELIEVABLE!!!! (i have added a few pics of my travels in NZ here, to see if i can entice y'all to visit New Zealand and Jan :) )

the only negative i guess is that Kiwis can't pronounce thungs preparlee hey ?! :) ....

Cathedral Cove is just wonderful and hard to believe it was made naturally
cathedral cove.jpg

this is a famous tourist attraction and Kiwi fruit farm
giant kiwi.jpg

Kare Kare beach is where the film "the piano" was filmed, wonderful place
kare kare.jpg

one of NZ biggest mountains
mt tongariro.jpg

somewhere in the north island
east coast1.jpg

in an unknown beach in NZ, with my wife (fiancee back then)
east coast2.jpg

i look much much older now... :) this was taken a few years ago.
east coast3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny_Alvarez

Postby kiwinurse on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 am

Gosh Danny wonderful pictures. I can see you are really a Kiwi at heart,and Tommy we have a few more world championships up our sleeve.
kiwinurse

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports