SPORTING WEEKEND !!!!!

Discussion about sports besides checkers.

SPORTING WEEKEND !!!!!

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:33 pm

today, is a very sporting day for me..... in the next 24 hours we have the following events ....
i am thinking of putting 2 tv sets next to each other to be able to see all the action :mrgreen:
i havent had such a sports buffet since JUNE this year

australia vs ireland (rugby world cup) goooooo the wallabies :)
argentina vs romania (rugby world cup) pumas will spank the oaks :)
brisbane broncos vs st george dragons (rugby league elimination semi final) my beloved broncos will win against the dragons on the last game Darren Lockyear (the greatest rugby league player IN HISTORY !!!!) plays at home
argentina vs serbia (davis cup semi final) winning 2-0 against the current champs away from home!!! im so proud
spain vs france (davis cup semi final) Spain is always my third team and/or nationality so i always cheer for them
australia vs switzerland(davis cup world group match) federer has been stamping his authority but i think we can still win this
australia vs sri lanka ( cricket test match) aussies are winning again!!! hallelluya
aragon grand prix (Moto GP) Stoner is on top and i hope that it remains that way
mayweather vs ortiz (WBC welterweight championship) someone has to shut mayweather up and i think Ortiz might be BAD enough to do it

there's lots more but this are the main attractions for me :)
are you guys going to watch any of these events???
cheers
Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Re: SPORTING WEEKEND !!!!!

Postby Palomino on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Danny wrote:
aragon grand prix (Moto GP) Stoner is on top and i hope that it remains that way

Stoner made news here last month by winning the 2011 Red Bull Indy MotoGP.

Highlights Video:
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/201 ... ghts-video
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby George Hay on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 pm

I would watch the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight if it wasn't pay per view! Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is from a family of boxers in Grand Rapids, and I remember when Floyd, Sr. fought Sugar Ray Leonard. It doesn't seem that long ago (LOL). I am disappointed that Mayweather vs Pacquiao hasn't happened yet. I hope this is a tune up for a Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight, but Ortiz must be taken seriously! --George Hay
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:57 am

Palomino wrote:Danny wrote:

Stoner made news here last month by winning the 2011 Red Bull Indy MotoGP.

Highlights Video:
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/201 ... ghts-video

Pal , i am a massive Stoner fan.... he is humble and down to earth and he supports all kinds of charity... a true gentleman of the sport of Motor racing.... reminds me of Mick Doohan, quiet in nature and very kind in heart.

i am tipping him to win the championship :)
cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:59 am

George Hay wrote:I would watch the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight if it wasn't pay per view! Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is from a family of boxers in Grand Rapids, and I remember when Floyd, Sr. fought Sugar Ray Leonard. It doesn't seem that long ago (LOL). I am disappointed that Mayweather vs Pacquiao hasn't happened yet. I hope this is a tune up for a Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight, but Ortiz must be taken seriously! --George Hay

George, here in oz we grab a few mates and we go to a pub where they show the pay per view fights for free :mrgreen:
the atmosphere is always great and there's fun had by all :)
(a designated driver is a must :) )
cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:57 pm

George..... i am watching it through foxsports...... maybe its because of where i live, but i am watching it in here for free.... some of the undercard fights have been AMAZING !!!!!!!

check out the link or go through the main foxsports website and click on sporting videos

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MMA_Boxi ... /headlines

cheers
Danny 'GUNPOWDER' Alvarez
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Danny, thanx for the link! I clicked on, and for the USA it looks like the undercard is free to promote the HBO Pay Per View.
It is exciting though, a good weekend for sports! cheers, George
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:33 pm

have a look at the Broncos highlights from last night :) it was without a doubt THE BEST club game i have seen for RUGBY LEAGUE ..... ever !!!!

it was passionate, exciting, skillful, tough.... there were crunching tackles, disallowed tries, injuries, incredible passes.... and at full time it was 12-12..... the magic and skill of Darren Lockyear (the best player in the history of the game, the most capped international player for australia, the player that has played the most club games in history, and those for only one club, the mighty mighty broncos) was needed to separate them. and he did it with a great field goal..... i almost had a few heart attacks on this game.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDNacxVG8-k

in rugby league unlike american football, the ball has to travel backwards, and the ball has to land on the ground in order for a try to be awarded, merely crossing the line with the ball isn't enough.

let me know what you think :D
cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Danny, that particular YouTube video is not available for my country! However, it was two clicks away from
http://www.youtube.com/user/rugbyworldcup
Wow! What a rugged sport, not for the faint of heart! I'll be following the World Cup, I never knew there was such a thing for Rugby, and it is BIG!
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:34 pm

George Hay wrote:Danny, that particular YouTube video is not available for my country! However, it was two clicks away from
http://www.youtube.com/user/rugbyworldcup
Wow! What a rugged sport, not for the faint of heart! I'll be following the World Cup, I never knew there was such a thing for Rugby, and it is BIG!

It is massssssssive George especially in New Zealand, where rooooogbeeee is the main sport....
i have played rugby league and rugby union (in my university days) as a winger and flanker respectively and let me tell ya.... it is hard to keep your wits about you when you get a big lumbering forward coming towards you at full steam with ball in hand when you know they weigh almost double what you weigh(around 130-150 kilos ..... dont know how much in pounds) :) ..... on the other hand its exhilarating to run straight past one of these big units with ball in hand and score a try :D

cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 pm

australia vs ireland .... wallabies lost :(
argentina vs romania ..... pumas kicked some and then some
brisbane broncos vs st george dragons....... what a thriller of a game..... extra time to separate them, broncos won :)
argentina vs serbia ...... 2-1 and it goes for another day after serbia won the doubles on day 2
australia vs switzerland 2-2 after Federer downed Tomic and Aussie hopes are with Lleyton Hewitt on the last game
aragon grand prix ..... Stoner got POLE on his spare bike, the man is a machine.....
mayweather vs ortiz ...... about to start .... come on Ortiz !!!!!

cheers :)
Danny
PS i also squeezed in the gators game wow i hadnt watch a full gridiron game in a while it was exciting :)
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 am

Danny, nice coverage of Mayweather's fourth round KO of Ortiz by Fox Sports, but that wasn't the only championship bout of the night! The Fox boxing slide show includes Canelo Alvarez beating Alfonso Gomez in a title bout!
http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/gallery ... o=30176562
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:05 am

George, i wasnt impressed with the referee the knockout was debatable but a rematch is surely on the cards....
forget Pacquiao.... REEEEEEE-- MATCH

i have met one of Saul "canelo"Alvarez brothers.... (they are all boxers ) and he was a gentleman .
i am very glad he won :)
cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Argentina beat Serbia and faces Spain in the final of the Davis cup ....
Stoner won the Aragon grand Prix and is making me dream with 4 races left he is in a 44 point lead for the championship.
and Australia vs Switzerland is still going, we had a stoppage due to bad light yesterday.
Darren Lockyear has a broken jaw, they put 4 titanium plates in him, (he played 30 minutes with a broken jaw, the man is a titan.... he is unbelievable.... and with a broken jaw he kicks the winning goal) i am not sure he will play next weeks game :(

cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Return to Other Sports