2011 National Tournament

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

Re: 2011 National Tournament

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:48 am

i want to bring on top this excellent link and cross table. Here you can see all results in all rounds. Data in this link is updated after every round.

http://bit.ly/qrYfil
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 am

So far in Round 6 I played two quick draws with Ron and Nick lost to Jack first game. See diagram below. Nick played here 32-27 ?? Round and tournament are in rogress.

Red to move.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby william on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:45 am

if memory serves me correctly, Ron King had this position on with Richard Beckwith in the WTQ in stonehaven.
As usual, Ron was just messing around and playing for time ( I believe that he had the TY in his pocket at that moment) , and Richard went into the shot.

To my surprise, Ron offered a draw...

i congratulated him on his "sportsmanship"

As i have been off the board and books for over 1.5 years now , I would like to ask Richard nevertheless for confirmation of this 'incident ' for fear of sparking off false information.

William
william

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 pm

After 7 rounds in Master Division Ron has 20 points, Jack - 19, I have 18 and Richard Beckwith has 17.

Ron has to play in 8th round with Joe Schwartz and in 9 round with Jack, Jack has to play in 8th round with Richard Beckwith and Richard has to play in 9th round with Joe Schwartz. My opponents are Jim Morrison and Alan Millhone.

I think in Major Division Joe Moore is far ahead of others.

Everything is still ahead :D

Stay on for late news ...

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Jay H on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:I think in Major Division Joe Moore is far ahead of others.

Makes me proud to be a fellow Pennsylvanian..........kick some more arse Brother Joe and bring it home to PA :!: :!: :!:

Jay "Yeeeeaah Baby !!!!" H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:41 pm

In 8th round Ron got 3 points from Joe Schwartz, I played two draws (one was very hard) with Jim Morrison and Jack Francis played two draws with Richard Beckwith. After 8 rounds Ron King has 23 points, Jack Francis has 21 point, I have 20 points, Richard Beckwith has 19 points and John Webster has 17 points.

Tomorrow in 9th rounds I play with Alan Millhone, Jack Francis plays with Ron King, Richard Beckwith plays with Joe Schwartz.

Results of 9th round will decide pairing for the last 10th Repair round (simple Swiss round).

I am proud of Joe Moore too - nice addition to strong ACF players. He should become very outstandng Master and eventually Grandmaster if he continuesworking on checkers. Joe told me that he considers seriously now to play in OH State ty in September, and I also recommended him to think about VA ty which is located relatively close to him.

More new are coming ...

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Jay H on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:In 8th round Ron got 3 points from Joe Schwartz, I played two draws (one was very hard) with Jim Morrison and Jack Francis played two draws with Richard Beckwith. After 8 rounds Ron King has 23 points, Jack Francis has 21 point, I have 20 points, Richard Beckwith has 19 points and John Webster has 17 points.

Tomorrow in 9th rounds I play with Alan Millhone, Jack Francis plays with Ron King, Richard Beckwith plays with Joe Schwartz.

Results of 9th round will decide pairing for the last 10th Repair round (simple Swiss round).

I am proud of Joe Moore too - nice addition to strong ACF players. He should become very outstandng Master and eventually Grandmaster if he continuesworking on checkers. Joe told me that he considers seriously now to play in OH State ty in September, and I also recommended him to think about VA ty which is located relatively close to him.

More new are coming ...

Alex

Go Joe :!: :!: :!:
Lost one game in the Pa Ty (when the ty victory was already wrapped up)....and looks like no games will be lost in this ty....an incredible start to a crossboard career........
Already got the World Champ's endorsement.

You bet, Alex....."if he continues working on checkers"....you may have another future challenger to target in your crosshairs ...

Jay "knows the PA greats from the past are smiling right along with me" H
Jay H

Postby Jay H on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 pm

JohnAcker wrote:
Jay H wrote:
Jay "knows the PA greats from the past are smiling right along with me" H

Perhaps an Ohio vs. Pennsylvania match sometime in the next couple years?

Only a guru of the English language would spot my Faux pas....Image

For the record....I am smiling with them, not one of them.....

Anyway...r u throwing down the gauntlet..... :?: :?: cause it sounds like a challenge............ :!: :!:

Wonder if PA could muster up a team....

Jay "Likes the sound of this :!: :!: :!: " H

PS

Good old fashioned Interstate Team Matches.....like they did in the olden days ImageImageImage

LET'S DO IT !!!!!!
Jay H

Postby Jason Solan on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:11 am

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:In 8th round Ron got 3 points from Joe Schwartz, I played two draws (one was very hard) with Jim Morrison and Jack Francis played two draws with Richard Beckwith. After 8 rounds Ron King has 23 points, Jack Francis has 21 point, I have 20 points, Richard Beckwith has 19 points and John Webster has 17 points.

Have you, Jack, or Suki lost a game yet?
It looks as though Ron and Jack could play 2 rounds in a row, with Jack needing to score at least 1 win in order to force a tie for first.

A very tough masters division indeed.

Ohio vs PA would be fun, although I don't know if we have enough skilled players to match up against 3 grandmasters (Moiseyev, Beckwith, and Cowie), not to mention Alan who appears to be playing very well in masters this year.
Jason Solan
Site Admin

Postby Jay H on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:16 am

Jason Solan wrote:......Ohio vs PA would be fun, although I don't know if we have enough skilled players to match up against 3 grandmasters (Moiseyev, Beckwith, and Cowie).............

We got Moore, Solan and Wray..... :!: :!: :!:

Jay "would play bottom board" :lol: :lol: :lol: H
Jay H

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am

In 9th round I won both extremely games over Alan Millhone (in first game he ran put of time), Jack Francis played two draws with Ron King, Richard Beckwith won one game over Joe Schwartz, and John Webster won one game with Nick.

Before last 10th round starts Ron King has 25 points, I have 24, Jack has 23, Richard has 22 and John has 20 points.

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Jay H on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:In 9th round I won both extremely games over Alan Millhone (in first game he ran put of time), Jack Francis played two draws with Ron King, Richard Beckwith won one game over Joe Schwartz, and John Webster won one game with Nick.

Before last 10th round starts Ron King has 25 points, I have 24, Jack has 23, Richard has 22 and John has 20 points.

Regards,

Alex

Wow....what a finish it is coming down to.......
ImageImageImage

Jay " Image " H
Jay H

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

All after all checkers is scientific game huh All games among leaders ended up with two draws and we finished it in the same order:

1. R. King 27
2. A. Moiseyev 26
3. J. Francis 25
4. R. Beckwith 24
5. J. Morrison 23
6. J. Webster 22

Nick still plays with Carl Reno and Alan Millhone plays with Joe Schwartz.

After smoke cleaned up, no surprises in final standing:

all 5 grandmasters are on top with two world champions leading, GAYP world champion won National and International Master John Webster finished 6th trailing grandmasters.

Nick had very tough painful experience but this is the way he choose and I am sure it was very good educatable lesson which will help him to find his weakenesses, fix them and improve.

Joe Moore won Majors and John Acker was 2nd, and my good friend Neil Weinberg is a National GAYP Minor Champion this year.

Overall I am completely satisfy with my score, final standings and quality of my games.

Next attratcion will be world title match in Cleveland after 2 weeks.

Many thanks to Joe LaConti, Kim Wills, John Acker, Jason Solan and all other who made it as an exciting memorable event for players and observers.

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby tommyc on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:41 pm

My prediction was right enough.............yu cant give Ron a 4 point lead @ half-way and hope to catch him.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby George Hay on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 pm

tommyc wrote:My prediction was right enough.............yu cant give Ron a 4 point lead @ half-way and hope to catch him.

Congratulations to all participants and all those who worked on and donated to the 2011 National Tournament. This event will be known for quality, not quantity. Tommy, I thought you were right, but I hoped you were wrong. I was hoping for an American sweep, but King and Jack made this event extremely competitive, extreme checkers! --George Hay
George Hay

PreviousNext

Return to Tournament Discussion