Memorable blunders.

Discussion and analysis about certain positions.

Re: Memorable blunders.

Postby jaguar72 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 pm

JohnAcker wrote:
Alex_Moiseyev wrote:1) Where Jim played ?

2) What he said after my reply ?

1. 21-17?

2. "I picked the wrong day to give up smoking!"

1. 21-17? was my thought as well, John, but maybe that's not subtle enough...dunno.

2. "Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war"?

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 pm

You both are correct with move and close with statement. After I played 9-14 Jim said: "O my Lord !"

Hugh Burton who wytnessed the game said that he saw it's coming but didn't beleive it's happen. I also saw this idea few times in calculations, but never in actual game.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby jaguar72 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:02 am

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:After I played 9-14 Jim said: "O my Lord !"

Mr. Morrison showed admirable restraint... .

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Postby jaguar72 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:02 am

Here is one I ran across last night from Willie Ryan's 1938 book Scientific Checkers Made Easy:

In a note, the Bronx Comet sez:

"A good player never relaxes until the game is over (good to the last move). Black has two logical looking moves at this point (---- and ----). Offhand, both seem to draw, but the wary expert, who always plays slowly, is ever on his guard to avoid fumbling an ending, soon discovers that one of them loses as follows:"

(In the actual note, Willie gives both moves and the blunder; also "soon" is a relative term...).

The "wary expert, who always plays slowly" then presents a forced-loss move sequence analysis for the blunder (which, needless to say, he did not chose in the actual game) from this position :

Diagram 1. Black to blunder and lose

1. The two move choices are ________ and ________?

2. The blunder is ________?

3. And, bonus points for the forced-loss sequence, about sixteen moves (which I, myself, alas, was unable to discover without finally looking at Willie's notes. No surprise there, I'm sure...).

The game was Stanley R. Morey vs. Willie Ryan, Cedar Point, Ohio, 1933.

There you have it from William Francis Ryan, the one-and-only... .

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:01 am

jaguar72 wrote:"A good player never relaxes until the game is over
Gary, this is checkers Murthy law which I covered in Sixth: "From two winning (or drawn) moves one is always a draw (loss)" Stick into this law and you can save a tons of points :lol:

In this position I used my old and favor method of cuts: I cutted all losing moves here for red, one by one. My calculations took 15 minutes and showed that 3-8 and 24-28 appear to be a loss. And 3-8 loses nicely by getting 2 red pieces into famous bind and eventually catch a man.

I also was unable to locate a clear win for white after 1-5. It looked so curious for me that there is draw here after 1-5 (hard to believe) that I set program and ... yes, verdict was quick and obvious: 1-5 draw.

I don't consider myself as "slow player" but in other hands - I never play fast and immediately. My first checkers teacher told us on the first lesson:

"Keep your hands always out of board and use them after you make decision. Head must be ahead of hands"

I can only repeat his words again today after 44 years !
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby jaguar72 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks for your comments and insights, Alex. Very much appreciated.

As I have stated before on this Forum, I can think of no other place in all the world, either on the internet or anyplace else, that a "regular" player of any game or sport (and I play various kinds of each) can get one-on-one advice and/or instruction on a day-to-day continuing basis from the reigning World Champion (or even a past World Champion for that matter). It is almost, I would think, unheard of.

I wonder, for example, if I could get Roger Federer to give me a couple of pointers on my backhand, Viswanathan Anand to tell me why I keep screwing up the Sicilian, or Lance Armstrong to give me some tips on my climbing technique? Probably not... .

And yet, every day on this Forum the checkers World Champion is willing to do exactly the equivalent of those things, and a lot more, for every Forum member who asks (and even for some who don't ask...). Quite amazing.

Sometimes I don't think we realize how much of a unique resource and good deal we checkers players have with the ACF Forum...and, yeah, I know sometimes we (and I certainly include myself) don't agree with the things Alex has to say; ah, well, probably better get used to it because it's part of the deal and just the give-and-take of normal life. Plus, it certainly makes things interesting and that's worth something; a lot, actually.

And we get all of this plus a printed copy of the Bulletin and other benefits for a paltry twenty-five bucks a year...gotta be one o' the best deals on the planet.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Postby tommyc on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am

Well said Jaguar...............and an amazing insight into the well oiled brain of Alex M. ...........what a player!!!! Great brain,pity about the MOUTH?

Maybe theres an internal wiring problem ...........ach well you cant have it all ,BUT YU CAN GET IT IF YU REALLY WAAAAAANT........
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:37 pm

tommyc wrote:Great brain,pity about the MOUTH?
Mouth even better than brain, because brain somehow is limited, but mouth unlimited ! Mouth can say things which brain tries to avoid :lol:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:14 pm

tommyc wrote: Great brain,pity about the MOUTH?

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:Mouth even better than brain, because brain somehow is limited, but mouth unlimited ! Mouth can say things which brain tries to avoid :lol:

LOL you two crack me up :D

jaguar72 wrote:Thanks for your comments and insights, Alex. Very much appreciated....

And yet, every day on this Forum the checkers World Champion is willing to do exactly the equivalent of those things, and a lot more, for every Forum member who asks (and even for some who don't ask...). Quite amazing....Gary Jenkins/jaguar72

very well stated Gary :) cheers mate

Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Previous

Return to Positions