Memorable blunders.

Discussion and analysis about certain positions.

Memorable blunders.

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:39 pm

I decided to open this separate independent topic and hope other contribute here as well. I coninue annotating ACF National 3-moves 2010 games and there are several good candidates. Keep in mind that there is a difference between "horrible blunder" and"stupid move" :lol: Finally I decided to post only one position which clearly and perfectly meet all criterias.

It happened in game of two greatest grandmasters - Ron King and Richard Hallett. Ron is well known expert who often forced his opponents into blunders and I am giving him all credits for this. Noone else in the world collected so many "clever wins", he is the best in this art.

White to move.
R. King vs R. Hallett, Rd4, G2

I am leaving it to readers to discover where Richard Hallett played and what Suki did.
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: Memorable blunders.

Postby Palomino on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for sharing Alex, I'll take a guess.

Hallett moved 8-11 (The blunder, I always find the worst move and that's where I'd move. :lol: )

King moved 18-23, (con't) 11 X 20,
12-16, 20 X 11,
19-24, 28 X19,
23 X 16 X 7 X 14, Red Win.

So where did Hallett move?

"Pal"
CHECKERS: The Mind Sport of Kings and Ordinary Men.
Palomino

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Palomino wrote:So where did Hallett move?
You did it exactly the same way he did, but game was shorter - after Ron played 18-23 Hallet emotionally said (I wytnessed this): "SH*T !!!" and resigned.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:43 pm

JohnAcker wrote:Was this the same game where Hallett said "I've been shot!"?
He didn't say "SHOT", you misspelled one letter.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Ron has the license to kill.
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Palomino on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Maybe he said "Shoot, I've been shot"?
Palomino

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Palomino wrote:Maybe he said "Shoot, I've been shot"?

Due to my broken English very possible. In other hands - everyone hears what he wants to hear :lol: My interpretation of Richard Hallett emotional remark appears to be a most natural way to me and this is exactly what I would say (maybe on Russian) if I were in his shoes !

By the way - what does it mean "Shoot", I don't know this word and if he mentioned this, I would definetely interpretate it in wrong way :lol:
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Palomino on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Alex,

I used the word "Shoot" as a minced variant (pseudo-profanity). "An expression based on a profanity that has been altered to reduce the objectionable characteristics of the original expression, for example, darn or dang instead of damn; shoot instead of shit; heck instead of hell; ... Many languages have these expressions. In the English language, nearly all profanities have minced variants."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minced_oath

I'm sure you heard it correctly and just the way Hallet said it and exactly the way you remember it!

I was kidding around due to John's post:
Heh, perhaps it was a censored version of the story that made the rounds of the Majors division!
and also due to the obvious connection the word shoot has to shot as in; if you shoot a bullet from a gun, an arrow from a bow or a checker from a slingshot... someone may get shot.

And to use another checker term along with a different pseudo-profanity, Hallet could have said "Darn, I've been stroked." :lol:

Regards..."Pal"
Palomino

Postby jaguar72 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:Keep in mind that there is a difference between "horrible blunder" and"stupid move" :lol:

This is one of my moves that fits neatly into both categories (stupid move, Check...horrible blunder, Check). It was played against a Fidelity Einstein computer set at the higest checkers level (which is not all that high). It is my 24th move (white to move) and I thought I had at least a draw...and then, from this position, I made my move...

Diagram 1: White to move and blunder.

The computer, which had been taking one to two minutes per move responded instantly, and I was dead meat...again.

I hope this is not too elementary a blunder for this thread; it was a shock to me. Perhaps if I had taken another thirty seconds...but I didn't.

Sigh. Capablanca said about chess that you learn a lot more from your losses than from your wins...I hope he was right; I should be learning a lot... .

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/Jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Postby tommyc on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 pm

It would be stupid to put this in "blunder" category so it will be relegated to the "feckin" BLACK HOLE categor.y

Gary sorry abt this ..........BUT this must rank in the "stupid " category .........LOL HEHEHEH been there done that!!!! ....1ST PRIZEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby jaguar72 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 pm

tommyc wrote:It would be stupid to put this in "blunder" category so it will be relegated to the "feckin" BLACK HOLE categor.y

Gary sorry abt this ..........BUT this must rank in the "stupid " category .........LOL HEHEHEH been there done that!!!! ....1ST PRIZEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Yep, Tommy, right you are, although the instantaneous reversal and the symmmetry (and quickness) of the resulting Red win are rather pretty (in a horrid sort of way...).

The mistakes are all there waiting to be made (Tartakower).

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/Jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Vic Habgood was asking recently for new scientific methods in checkers. Lets try to develop "blunder theory". Simple question: why people make mistakes and how to avoid / minimize them ?

I am giving here few reasons why I personally make mistakes. Can you extend this list ? After we have a full complete coverage of all possible reasons, we can move ahead with developing methods to fix / minimize them.

1) Lack of knowledges.
2) Lack of experience.
3) Bad psychological form.
4) Bad concentration.
5) Lack to make decision.
6) Low patience.
7) Miscalculations.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 am

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:Vic Habgood was asking recently for new scientific methods in checkers. Lets try to develop "blunder theory". Simple question: why people make mistakes and how to avoid / minimize them ?

Alex, a very damn good book on that topic has indeed been written by chess GM Jonathan Rowson who is also working at his PhD about Wisdom.

The book is named "The Seven Deadly Chess Sins" and a bestseller.

He distinguished seven reasons for mistakes ("sins"):

1.Thinking,
2. Blinking,
3. Wanting,
4. Materialism,
5. Egoism,
6. Perfectionism,
7. Looseness

He also explains his sins with typical symptoms and recommends antidotes.
All this written entertainung, but yet scientific and filled with numerous top-notch examples.
It also contains a valuable bibliography for further reading on this topic.
I would guess it would easily be possible to apply all his concepts to checkers/draughts as well, as all the sypmtoms and antidotes can be applied to our game as well.

Maybe it would be useful to collect examples of that sins in checkers/draughts.

Greetinx from Germany in the fresh morning dew,

Ingo Zachos
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:40 am

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:
Palomino wrote:So where did Hallett move?
You did it exactly the same way he did, but game was shorter - after Ron played 18-23 Hallet emotionally said (I wytnessed this): "SH*T !!!" and resigned.

It is great to see the actual position.... this anecdote has been doing the rounds ... and you are the first actual witness i hear it from Alex. I have heard differing versions from 3 other people.

cheers
Danny
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:35 pm

White to move.
A. Moiseyev vs J. Morrison,
TN 2011, Rd4, G2

Two questions:

1) Where Jim played ?

2) What he said after my reply ?