Need Canadian checkers 12x12

Place to put books, transcripts, etc. for sale

Need Canadian checkers 12x12

Postby skazka7 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello!!! My name is Daniel.
I am from Ukrainian Checker Federation (checkers-8x8 and 10x10). im looking to buy a 12x12 board for Canadian checkers. If you can help me please...
Thank you and best regards...
skazka7

Re: Need Canadian checkers 12x12

Postby George Hay on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello again Daniel, I just want to make sure you get this address to the Canadian Checkers website.
http://www.fqjr.qc.ca/dames/fr/index.html It is from Quebec, Canada and is in French. I just use Google Translate that seems to have trouble only with checkers terms, but even that is instructive.
Good Luck in finding a 12x12 Canadian Checkers board! --George Hay
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:30 pm

you might wanna try Malaysian checkers as well they use a 12x12 board just like canadian checkers..... dont know much else about rules and differences with canadian... other than i have a friend who plays it with his dad around here... the double corner goes on the same side as checkers in malaysian :)

cheers
Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 am

Canadian Checkers uses the same rules as 10x10 International Checkers only on a 12x12 board. Brazilian Checkers uses the same rules as International Checkers except the board is 8x8. American Pool Checkers does not have the maximum jump requirement (although all jumps must be completed), and has the convention of black starting the game. If a man jumps in and out of the king row it is still a man in all the above variations. I'm convinced there is a French connexion with Canadian Checkers and American Pool Checkers. The French settled in Quebec, Canada and then migrated to Louisiana, USA. I like to think that English Draughts influenced American Pool Checkers with black moving first and abolishing the maximum jump rule. The development of American Pool Checkers in North America, and the parallel development of Brazilian Checkers in South America is fascinating. Oh yea, I almost forgot! Charlie Brown was in a three way tie winning the Top Master Division of the American Pool Checkers Association Tournament in 2002. --George Hay
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:10 am

what are the rules for brazilian?

sorry too lazy to google it and possibly get wrong info .... in my humble opinion checkers achilles heel is its number of variants ..... chess is stronger because there are hardly any variants there ...

italian, spanish, brazilian, canadian .... etc etc .... if we would all be playing one variant we would kick chess's :!: (well thats wishful thinking maybe)

cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 am

Brazilian Checkers has the same rules as 10x10 International Checkers, but uses an 8x8 board. That would be with men jumping backwards, men jumping in and out of the king row are still men, the kings move like chess bishops, the maximum jump rule, and the convention of white moving first. That makes three games of checkers, Brazilian 8x8, International 10x10, and Canadian 12x12 with the same rules, but different size boards. The Brazilian Checkers website is still down for reconstruction, but I fully expect it to be back up and better than ever, and it was a very good site! The Canadian Checkers website has a link to it. I like a few good variations of checkers, but with too many variations, my eyes glaze over. My rule of thumb is the rules should be simple so the game is fun. My personal favorites are Anglo-American, American Pool, Brazilian, International, and Canadian Checkers. --George Hay
George Hay

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:09 am

So George, the difference between brazilian and draughts (as it is played in PLAYOK) is that in brazilian u can keep jumping backwards if u hit the kingsrow?
is that it?

no wonder there are so many people there from Portugal/Brazil in the draughts rooms :) in playok/kurnik

i dont mind those rules but i find the maximum jump rule quite annoying

Brazilian checkers has massive federations in the southern brazilian states and they hold tournaments quite regularly

cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 am

Danny_Alvarez wrote:if we would all be playing one variant
be specific - which one ? :lol: :P :o :mrgreen:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Mac Banks on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Alex, I have always wondered why checker associations don't get together and hold tourneys. Nowadays, the numbers are dwindling and it would be so much an easier sale for a promoter to go to a hotel and tell them the tourney would at least need a 100 rooms. 10 x10 checkers, pool checkers, straight checkers, give away checkers and all other types could be invited. Also some promos could be held as for example, the top players of each type of checkers could play a couple of games against the other top players of their type game. Maybe as many as 1,000 checker players would attend and with wives and friends, it would be like a big convention with a lot of excitement.

All the best,
Mac
Mac Banks

Postby tommyc on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Have it in Las Vegas.....................book me in!!!!Mac.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Alex_Moiseyev wrote:
Danny_Alvarez wrote:if we would all be playing one variant
be specific - which one ? :lol: :P :o :mrgreen:

:) Alex i am very biased and if it was up to me i would travel back in time.... become the king of spain + france and prohibit 'jeu plaisant' and decree that only 'jeu force' is allowed to be played.... if i wanted to take it further i would just make chess illegal LOL

I honestly think ours is the simplest variant and therefore closer to the original game if there ever was just one original game. I think it is more likely that there have been many different converging games. I look at all the jumping backwards and flying kings etc as flowery 'add-ons' which make the game seem more like chess and distract while not adding any value to the strategic nuances of the game.

with just the polish+ dutch + brazilian federations playing one variant we could proclaim that our game is back :) and we could have tournaments with decent prize money
well i better stop dreaming now.... i leave you with a quote from one of my favourite wise people thats still alive today

Dreams cannot be tamed. Dreamers cannot be ruled
Paulo Coelho

Cheers
Danny
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Mac Banks wrote:Alex, I have always wondered why checker associations don't get together and hold tourneys. Nowadays, the numbers are dwindling and it would be so much an easier sale for a promoter to go to a hotel and tell them the tourney would at least need a 100 rooms. 10 x10 checkers, pool checkers, straight checkers, give away checkers and all other types could be invited. Also some promos could be held as for example, the top players of each type of checkers could play a couple of games against the other top players of their type game. Maybe as many as 1,000 checker players would attend and with wives and friends, it would be like a big convention with a lot of excitement.

All the best,
Mac

Mac the reason why is two-fold... one there's mistrust between different associations. Secondly and sadly if we cannot seem to get unity within our own ranks, how in hell are we going to achieve that with others?

I agree with you, and the Sports Accord events prove that unity = strength...
It would be a lot easier if things were done as you suggested.

*sigh*

Danny Alvarez
Danny_Alvarez

Postby George Hay on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Danny, that is part of it, but the checker jumps backwards as a man, not a king. In Brazilian/International/Canadian Checkers a man only becomes a king if it stays on the king row at the conclusion of the move or jump. American Pool Checkers has the same king row rule as Brazilian Checkers. I can only refer you to the new pool chekers site that Mr. Alex started a topic on, that is Pool Checkers Library. http://library.poolcheckers.com/ This new website has Game Rules in the Site Menu. This has a sample game that shows Pool Checkers Rules, with move 16 for black and white showing the king row rule. --George Hay
George Hay

Postby George Hay on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:40 pm

There was a Checkers Tri-Combo Tournament in Las Vegas in August of 2002. It was the Tinsley Memorial according to the FMJD website. http://fmjd.org/news.php?nid=2
This was also announced in the Draughts in Russia site
http://www.draughts.ru/english/las-vegas_e.htm The three variations were Anglo-American Checkers, American Pool Checkers, and 10x10 International Checkers. The results were announced in the Draughts in Russia site http://www.draughts.ru/english/index_e.htm and
in the Russian Draughts in USA site http://checkers.itgo.com/Las_Vegas/lasvegas.htm
Anatoly Zaguljaev took first place, with Charles Walker placing sixth. Getting back to Canadian Checkers, in 1923 there was a match between the Canadian Champion Beauregard and the International Champion Springer. The match was for ten games, five 12x12 games, and five 10x10 games. The 10x10 section was a draw, but the Canadian Champion won the 12x12 section and the overall match. --George Hay
George Hay

Postby john reade on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 am

George,

If you would like to send your house address I'll send you a copy of the Lancashire Newsletter for October 2002 which gives the full results of the Tricombo held at Las Vegas in August 2002.

John.
john reade

Next

Return to Checkers Books and Equipment