The "Sixth" editors ... resumes are accepted now !

General Discussion about the game of Checkers.

The "Sixth" editors ... resumes are accepted now !

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:11 am

My book has been finished preliminary. At least all major contests are covered. Book has in total more than 400 pages. I am looking now two editors for my book: English editor and contest editor. Requirements for 1st position (English Editor):

1. College degree.
2. Sense of humor
3. Checkers rating (ACF or WCDF) 1800+
4. Self motivated and organised.
5. Publishing expirience (Internet publications accepted) is a plus but not necessary

Requirements for second position (contest Editor)

1. ACF or WCDF rating 2250+
2. Analyses experience
3. Experience by usage major program(s) + 8 pieces database.
4. Mail play experience is a plus, but not necessary.
5. Self motivated and organised.
6. Sence of humor is a plus, but not necessary

Resumes must be posted here, in forum

The price for this job will appreciation message in book, gifted numbered book (for each editor) worthy of $75, future offers
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Re: The "Sixth" editors ... resumes are ac

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:09 am

Having small experience as employer :cry: and not very well familiar with hiring process :roll: I probably provided very "solid" requirements to the English editor position. After several days waiting for resume, I decided to make my requirements softer:

College degree is plus but not necessary. You maybe a full time student of college or even have school diploma only - not college diploma necessary. 70%-75% of book text are just numbers and moves, not actual text.

Most of my problems - not prpoper usage of "a" and "the" articles, punctuation and other simple things, which is enough to cover for any school graduated person :lol:

================================================================

About contest Editor ... if you are a good mail player, your ACF rating maybe lower than 2250 ... but still higher than 2000. And indeed, experience of usage major programs and databases is necessary.
Alex_Moiseyev

Editing

Postby Ryan Pronk on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:49 am

Hi Alex,

I would like to help edit your book, but I fear time (or lack there of) would be a serious issue. However, if you wanted to send me a portion of your book (maybe 50-75 pages), I could get it back to you within a reasonable amount of time.

Let me know what you think of my proposal and I will send you a resume. Also, my ACF rating is 2103+

--Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Postby Dennis Pawlek on Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:27 am

Alex time could be a problem with me as well. I would be interested in the contest job and would even share this with someone.

1. Latest WCDF rating 2357
2. Analyzation of games in the EDA Journal, German Open Book 2005.
3. Have several programs.
4. Participant Welsh Open Postal 2004 and 2005, English Open Postal 2005.
Best result in 2004 taking 3 rd behind Nigel Proffitt and George Miller.
5. Please do not look at my room lol...
6. Depends on the point of view.

I would like to know what time window you want it to be finished. As my time will be limited a lot til February.
Just the all of us together can improve checkers!
Dennis Pawlek

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:05 pm

Hello, Ryan and Dennis ! WOW

As soon, as I lower my requirements and made them more realistic, I've got two good candidates :lol:

Preliminary - I accept both resumes :idea:

Ryan - we all know you as very good professional journalist, and read your articles and interviews here. I don't think I can find any better candidate for English editing, who has enough skills to perform this job. Also I hope - this may help you increase your rating ... otherwise - why we need this book ? :idea: And certainly in future you can include editing of this book in your professional resume.

Can you remind me your email address ?

=================================================================

Dennis, I have very aggressive and ambitious plans with dates, and I want preliminary to finish everything (or almost everything) by February. However ... I accept your offer and assistance for my future books, which I hope are on the way. Lets do this ... I'll send you first 10 games (30-40 pages) of my match with Ron King in 2003. You are not limited with time, and anything you do - will be welcomed, accepted and highly appreciated. If you do this earlier - I'll send you another 10 games etc

I am still looking for "permanent contest Editor", who has enough time to review all games. in the next 2-3 months. I will try to coordinate things between him/her, Dennis and other volunteers / co-editors to eliminate duplicate work.

Thanks alot guys ! :lol:
Last edited by Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:07 pm

Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:07 pm

Dear Alex, if you need another "contend" editor I might apply,

but:

1. I have no rating above 2250, just 50 percent at the WCDF Qualifer and internet experience (IYT preferred for I need time to analyze properly), so no. 1 : no match

2. Analyes Experience: I run a magazine in german about checkers, analyzing master games, you might ask Dennis about the quality of this comments.
Also I am "spoiled" with good chess analyses, with more than 20 pages per game, and deep insight into plans, strategy, tournament tactics, etc.
I don't like colum-based "losing systems on betting on horese"(DEO)
so no. 2: no match

3. I use Checkerboard (I prefer KingsRow, but I also use Cake) with an 8 piece database to check my own analyes, also I use Sage and Nemesis for this purpose. I store my analyses with TurboDambase, although I miss proper engines and databases, but Klaas Bor promised to implement it in 2006, and it has better publishing capabilites then Checkerboard, Sage or Nemesis.
so no.3: match

4. No mail play in chess so far, but played correspondence chess between 1984-1989 (when they still played it with snailmail) and 2000-2002 (when they used email and server-based move transmitting)and won most of the ty's I played. Like to play on IYT for you learn a lot the more time you spent on analysing, so I might attend correspondence checkers, provided they turn to server-based or email-bases move transmitting.
no. 4: no match

5. I learnt the rules last September, acqauinted about a 150 books, keep store of all my IYT and Tournament games with TurboDambase, and in a sepetated folder organized by openings (and lines, of course), to which I also add xerox-copies of published play concering the openings and lines covered.
So far it is only GAYP, but I also bought 3-move refernce books, and my self-collected"reference" database containes of course all 2-move or 3-move game I can get...
I am an accountant, so
no. 5: match

6. No sense of humor, I am German, but if YOU would look at MYgames, you would laugh at lot.
no. 6: tie

So only 2, 5 out of 6, but if you pay properly (3.500 Dollars a month minimum), I could do the job on full-time basis...

If you offer less money, the less quality time you can get from me,
if you offer no money, I just do my best at each minute I can spent on it, but I admit, I want the job for another reason:

I am a weak player and I want to improve, so working for a World Champion , learning about his thought process and his hidden secrets revealed, would be the best, I could get.

Greetinx from snow-covered Dortmund, Germany,

Ingo Zachos
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:21 pm

Oops,

of course I didn't acquainted the books, I acquired them, although at leat I became acquainted with their contents.

so no collage degree in english, sorry;-)

Ingo
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:40 pm

Here we are ...

Today I've got an email from Brain Hinkle, well known very strong mail player and excellent analyst, who agreed to be a "contest Editor" fo my book. I accepted his offer. Brain Hinkle will be "main contest Editor" and has a chance to review and observe all games. It is also my pleasure to accept Dennis Pawlek and Ingo Zachos offers and utilize their help and assistance. I do strongly beleive - finally we form an exceptional :lol: team, and our joint efforts help us to fix all typos, bags and inaccuracies in my book.

As more - as better ! Different people with different human and checkers experience can help us to generate finally some valuable version of text which is acceptable to most (all) readers.

Personally, I also will be involve actively in each step of Editing process and coordinate things among members.

Another person which could be involve here - publisher, who will tell me best book format and sizes, styles of text and letters, diagram appearance etc I will contact with publisher on my own and pass his wishes to team members.

No rush with book, but I hope to finish everything by spring, 2006. I'll be ready to start accepting money and orders when 50% book editing will be completed.

Regards,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Editorship

Postby Ryan Pronk on Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:50 pm

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your kind words. My e-mail address is: ryanpronk@usacheckers.com. I will e-mail my resume to you and I hope I will have an opportunity to work with a great team!

--Ryan
Ryan Pronk

Open Answers to English Editor requirements

Postby Ryan Pronk on Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:03 pm

Here are my answers:

1. College degree - Not yet, but in one year, I will enter into the professional program at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism (one of the best in the nation).

2. Sense of humor - Of course :D

3. Checkers rating (ACF or WCDF) - ACF 2103+

4. Self motivated and organised - You can rely on me to complete the task in a timely manner. My organizational abilities are constantly improving :lol:

5. Publishing experience (Internet publications accepted) is a plus but not necessary - I was a news reporter for my college newspaper for one semester until I was promoted to the news editor position. The newspaper is published about once a month and the circulation (student enrollment) is about 13,000.
Ryan Pronk

Re: Editorship

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:15 pm

Ryan Pronk wrote:My e-mail address is:

I just sent you email to this address. Please, check your mailbox. We can start contact now through regular emails.

===============================================================

Ingo and Dennis,

I need your email addresses, guys !!!

You can write Ryan Pronk here ==> ryanpronk@usacheckers.com and he will forward your email to me, and after this we can establish contact. I already tried to write to Dennis, but my email was returned.

After we establish contact, I will send both of you first portion of materials.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:21 pm

Alex, u can email a member of this forum by looking her or him up in the "Memberlist", and look for the "contact" options.
Here u have the opportunity not just to email, but you may find the person at the yahoo messenger or anywhere else...

Greetinx from snow-covered Dortmund, Germany

Ingo Zachos
Ingo_Zachos

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:40 am

John, you are on team ! :lol: I already sent you email with attachment of first portion of book (second chapter) for your review.

=================================================================

Dear Liam, sorry for not having a chance to accept your offer. Obviously, there is a difference in "European English" and "American English" :roll: I don't have any doubts about your skills, abilities and experience, but if one part of book will be done in "American English" style and other - "European English" style, this will only confuse readers.

Looking forward, I hope we'll work successfully together, and I have a chance to utilize your help and assitance for my future books.

Respectfully,

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Editors

Postby liam stephens on Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:52 pm

Dear Alex,

I look forward to our future collaboration.
But, European English? I have yet to encounter that beastie, though in Ireland there is a variety called Hibernian English.
For example:

The Queen's English (QE): Good morning, Alex.
Hibernian English (HE): Top of the morning, Alex.
American English (AE): Have a nice day, Alex.

Or at breakfast:

QE: I'd like a cup of tea, Alex.
HE: Scald the pot, Alex.
AE: Alex - Bring me a pretzel.

Regards - Liam.

There's a pawnshop round the corner in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
liam stephens

Next

Return to General Discussion