2011 National Tournament

Talk about upcoming tournaments or your experience at tournaments.

2011 National Tournament

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm

The 2011 ACF National GAYP Tournament will be held in Medina, Ohio on July 26-30. Kim Willis will referee.
A separate new GAYP blitz tournament on July 25 will precede the main tournament.
<<<<<<< from the main page.

I think that hosting a Blitz tournament is a fantastic idea and i welcome it as a sign that the ACF is listening to its constituents and is also embracing change (which is sometimes the only way to remain relevant). Despite the fact that i won't attend this time, (who knows what 2012 brings, i for one dont think it will be the end of the world, but fingers crossed i might be able to visit you folks in the northern hemisphere) i am interested in knowing what the details of the Blitz tournament are. Format, time limits, etc etc.

Perhaps Kim or Richard can enlighten me here (or anyone else with the appropiate information)

regards
Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Re: 2011 National Tournament

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:23 am

Danny_Alvarez wrote:i am interested in knowing what the details of the Blitz tournament are. Format, time limits, etc etc.
No details yet except I offered ACF to be a Referee of Blitz. If they accept my offer and assign me - details will be soon available.

I think the best format suppose to be Robin Round for 20-24 players (whoever attend) and time control - 5 or 6 minutes for 2 games without resetting clocks.

Everything will be done in 4-6 hours.

Alex
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Good Luck with it Alex.... let's hope that whoever attends can stay for the main event as well. I think it is important to target everyone. After the success of this event which i am cheering loudly for - i wont say 'root for' cause for us aussies thats a different verb altogether LOL- let's hope someone can organize some mail play stuff I know there are quite a few people interested in that as well.

best regards
Danny Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Phil Bauer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 am

This tournament is from Tuesday to Saturday? Could that hurt attendance? If you need that many days why not a long weekend...Friday to Monday?
Or lessen the amount of games... 13 opponents 2 games each is what I read. I think losing a weeks pay while paying for a motel room/expenses could prevent people from coming. Taking a weekend "off" is much easier on peoples professional lives. I plan on coming...just my 2 cents.
Phil Bauer

Postby Phil Bauer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:27 pm

That's fine...just wondering. Anyone know the time control for the Minors class?
Phil Bauer

Postby rich beckwith on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Phil,

National Tournaments are usually 5-6 days to distinguish them from the many weekend tournaments offered throughout the year. In the past, the event ran Monday-Friday (sometimes with an additional weekend youth tournament), so I suppose we are overlapping a weekend more than previous. Playing Wednesday-Sunday is a future idea, but I don't know that one day makes much of a difference work-wise, especially if someone travels back on Monday.

In recent GAYP Nationals, all three classes play the same round schedule times. We haven't set up a schedule yet, but it has been 3 or 3.5 hours total for 2 games at recent GAYP Nationals, even though minors are more likely to finish their games early compared to Masters. Of course, the Monday blitz event will have much shorter times. :)
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:55 pm

rich beckwith wrote:In the past, the event ran Monday-Friday (sometimes with an additional weekend youth tournament), so I suppose we are overlapping a weekend more than previous.
In the past for many decades ACF National (either GAYP or 3 moves) ran 6 days, Monday-Saturday, 4+6+6+6+6+4.

In 2004 3-moves National it was an error in advertisement and incidentally event ran 5 days only which caused short 1st round (2 games only) and nice system was ruined.

After then every year I am trying to remind that we have to return back on 6 days schedule but all my attempts graciously ignored :lol:

I am laughing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: when I see now that this story happened intentionally again, 8 times in the row.

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby rich beckwith on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:06 am

Yes, Rodeway Inn. Same place as 2006 National Tournament (although hotel name may have been different then).

I still support a 6-day National for 3-move masters, if feasible. (There were some years in Las Vegas where playing room cost was an issue for the extra 6th day.) But for GAYP Nationals, we no longer have same format used in years past since we converted to two-game rounds -- 5 days suffices now.
Richard Beckwith
ACF Treasurer / WCDF President
rich beckwith

Postby neilwenberg on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:30 pm

I think all of the national tournaments I have attended have been conducted in a thoughtful and professional manner and have been well run no matter who was in charge. I welcome the addition of the blitx tournament if it can attract more players to this "grand old game." I am looking forward to attending as i do to all the tournaments I go to. Most players I have met are gentlemen and conduct their play accordingly.
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Postby neilwenberg on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:31 pm

I think all of the national tournaments I have attended have been conducted in a thoughtful and professional manner and have been well run no matter who was in charge. I welcome the addition of the blitx tournament if it can attract more players to this "grand old game." I am looking forward to attending as i do to all the tournaments I go to. Most players I have met are gentlemen and conduct their play accordingly.
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Postby neilwenberg on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 am

I will be selling checker books at the National tourney in Medina!
Neil H. Wenberg
neilwenberg

Postby steve on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 am

I will be selling books at the National tourney in Medina at Walmart prices.
steve

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:52 am

Anyone is aware - what time National Blitz starts on Monday and regular event on Tuesday ?
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Chexhero on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 pm

I am very excited for the tournament. Just made my reservations today for a ridiculously low price of 20 some a night. Totaled out to like 115 or so. Anyone who was not planning on attending should consider the great deal. And Alex, I really thought through about what you said for weeks, and I decided to take your advice and play in the majors for this year. PA was 1 tournament, I want to earn my way into the Masters.
Chexhero

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am

Chexhero wrote:And Alex, I really thought through about what you said for weeks, and I decided to take your advice and play in the majors for this year. PA was 1 tournament, I want to earn my way into the Masters.
Hi, Joe ! I am very glad and excited to read this.

It won't be a wasting time, trust me. And even if you beat everyone in Major and win all games - it would only make you being very proud and honored that you earn lawfully rights to play in Masters where you really belong.

This is very great feelings, believe me.

Checkers is SPORT. It is pyramide where after scientific study the game and practice you move from the bottom to top. Each step and level is important and shall not be skipped. Cheap deal where everyone from street can play in Masters - is not a honor deal for us: current and future champions !

Alex
Alex_Moiseyev

Next

Return to Tournament Discussion