ACFB Back Issues

Place to put books, transcripts, etc. for sale

ACFB Back Issues

Postby Jay H on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:23 pm

I have recently been taking an inventory.....and I discovered I have quite a few duplicates of ACFB back issues...the games sections seperated from the news sections.
These date from the 1950's through the 1980's..........if anyone is interested, and is willing to pay the postage to send them, they are free to first come,first served. Just looking for them to go to a good home.....
PM here (from the ACForum).
Or e-mail me
jayhinnersh!tz@yahoo.com
(replace the ! with an i........I cannot type my surname here on the forum with the current filters in place)

Regards

Jay H

UPDATE
I believe I have found a home for these bulletins....if something changes, I will update.
Last edited by Jay H on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Re: ACFB Back Issues

Postby jaguar72 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 pm

And now for something completely different, Mr. H. ... .

Jay, you are perhaps the only person on the Forum who can help me with this (maybe). I bought on eBay a couple of weeks back a set of checkers. They are red and white (which is why I bought them), kind of a matte (i.e., not shiny) finish and in almost as-new condition with thirty checkers in the set. They are made of hard plastic (could be bakelite, but probably not). They are 1.25" in diameter and .25" or so thick and there is a finely-detailed crown on one side and four or so molded, raised turnings on the other. They do not interlock.

The box (in excellent condition) is maroon and pale yellow coated paper-covered cardboard. A large, elogated diamond shape on the box top says "Crown Pastic Checkers" and is topped with a crown; at the bottom of the cover it says "Full Set". The same information, in addition to the number of checkers (30) and the diameter (1 1/4"), is printed on each box end. It also says "No. 831" and, in tiny white letters, "Made in U.S.A.". There is also a retailer's sticker on the box botom that says "CONDE TOY SHOP/Syracuse, N.Y." (note, there is no Zip code...). There is a hand-written price sticker for "59 cents" (!).

I have another identical set, alike in every detail, except the checkers colors are maroon and white.

They are really very nice checkers...very playable and quite unlike anything available today.

My question is this: do you have any idea at all from when these babies date? I originally though pre-war (i.e., World War II), but both sets are in such good condition that period may be far too early and the 1950s or 1960s might be more nearly correct.

Anyhow, if you can possibly give me a clue as to when they were made I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Jay!

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
il faut (d'abord) durer...
jaguar72

Postby Jay H on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Hey Gary,
Is this the set you are referring to ?

I don't know the manufacture date of these...there is one man who can probably help you with this...former ACF forumite Don Deweber.
If you have not heard from him already, try to get ahold of him, he could probably help you......
Pal Bucker might know his e-mail address ...PM Pal.

Best to you and yours !!

Regards

Jay H

PS
This comes with a warning...Don Deweber is a little eccentric.
Jay H

Postby jaguar72 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Jay,

That is, indeed, the very set!

Eccentric, you say? Ah, well, isn't everybody... .

Now that you've identified (and illustrated!) the set, perhaps some other forumite will have more information.

Thanks, Jay. I knew I was asking the right guy.

V/R,

Gary jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Postby Jay H on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

jaguar72 wrote:
Eccentric, you say? Ah, well, isn't everybody... .

HEHEH.....Deweber is in a class by himself. And this is not an insult.....he has described himself in such a manner. Regardless, he is probably the world's foremost authority on things of this nature.
Anyway, If you do get the info (or , even, if not) and you would like to display this set at the OMOCH site, send me some scans or photos.

I purchased the set I have on Ebay a few years back on the "very cheap" ($.99 + $3.00 S&H)...as you can see from the scan, the box is damaged, but the pieces are in excellent shape. (The set I have are maroon and white in color)
The checkers themselves are the same as in some other checker sets, ...I have a set of Parker Brothers "Royal Checkers" that are exactly the same.(No date on box) Bob Murr has a set of "The Club" checkers by Parker Brothers on display on the OMOCH site that appear to be very similar, .....he believes that they were made 70 or more years ago.....

Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby jaguar72 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:31 pm

Jay,

As a matter of fact, it was seeing that "Club" set displayed on the OMOCH site that made me ask about my Crown Plastic set.

I also acquired a set called "Nonpareil Checkers"; thirty in an orange box which sez on the end "NONPAREIL COMPOSITION CHECKERS"; They are much the same as the Crown set but the casting (molding) seems much cleaner and they have a star in the center of the raised turnings on the back face. Very pretty but, alas, black and red. "Composition", I supose, refers to the material from which they are fashioned.

The box is marked, by the way, "35 cents" in pencil.

"Eccentric?" he said. "What makes you say that??", as he displayed to his friends his collection of vintage checkers... .

Um, well, all in the eye and mind of the beholder, I guess.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
Just About a Half a Bubble Off Full Level
jaguar72

Postby Jay H on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:56 pm

jaguar72 wrote:
"Eccentric?" he said. "What makes you say that??", as he displayed to his friends his collection of vintage checkers... .

Touche'

Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby jaguar72 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Jay H wrote:
jaguar72 wrote:

Touche'

Regards

Jay H

Jay,

Ah, well, I was speaking, of course, about myself...don't want anybody to think I'm putting them down.

I probably should have said "I" and "my" instead of "he" and "his" in my above attempt at humor... .

Very Respectfully,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Postby Jay H on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:38 pm

jaguar72 wrote:
Jay H wrote:
jaguar72 wrote:

Touche'

Regards

Jay H

Jay,

Ah, well, I was speaking, of course, about myself...don't want anybody to think I'm putting them down.

I probably should have said "I" and "my" instead of "he" and "his" in my above attempt at humor... .

Very Respectfully,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72

It's alllllllllllllllll good brother !!!
Regards

Jay H
Jay H

Postby tommyc on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I have a set of old draughts they are black and brown,swirled circles type i dont think they are plastic but fairly thin and light in size.The box is gold/fawn colored says DRAUGHTS with one black piece on the front of box and also a Roman soldier on horseback with a long type spear.The writing says St George Series ,Made in England.Does anyone know ahything abt these pieces at all,Liam??
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby jaguar72 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:47 pm

It's alllllllllllllllll good brother !!!
Regards

Jay H

Thanks, Jay...just didn't want there to be any misunderstanding; there is certainly enough of that in the Forum... .

I and the public know
what all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return.

W.H. Auden

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Postby liam stephens on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:57 am

Tommyc wrote:

I have a set of old draughts they are black and brown,swirled circles type i dont think they are plastic but fairly thin and light in size.The box is gold/fawn colored says DRAUGHTS with one black piece on the front of box and also a Roman soldier on horseback with a long type spear.The writing says St George Series ,Made in England.Does anyone know anything abt these pieces at all,Liam??
Hi Tommy,

I have somewhere between 50 to 100 sets of old draughts pieces of all shapes and sizes along with several folding boards and and pocket set magnetic boards. Two large boxes full, stored away in the attic (saving them up for the bonfire - lol). I managed to have a look at them today.

There are several sets similar to those you have described but they are all loose in plastic bags. I do not have the boxes you describe. They are black and ebony (rather than brown) in colour. Others have been repainted (by Leslie Boyd) in red and white. One set I have is made of heavy metal with green felt backing. Most of them are quite old and I would guess they date back to pre war days, probably 1930s or 40s.

The best sets I have are in Red coloured Boxes with "T.S.L. Draughts - Made in England",
printed in gold on the box covers. These are red and white plastic(or similar) interlocking pieces and measuring one and a quarter inches in diameter. The letters T. S. L. are I assume the initials of the manufacturer but I have never found out who that was.

Regards - Liam.
liam stephens

Postby jaguar72 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:03 pm

The letters T. S. L. are I assume the initials of the manufacturer but I have never found out who that was.

Regards - Liam.

A very cursory search (i.e., I googled "T.S.L. Draughts"...) showed several T.S.L. items for sale online including a couple of draughts sets and some puzzles (assembling of a checker board from various pieces, for example). All were probably pre-war (but perhaps not; hard to tell) and all were made in England. None of the listings, alas, gave a breakout for the T.S.L. initials.

V/R,

Gary Jenkins/jaguar72
jaguar72

Postby liam stephens on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks Gary,

I also did a Google search, but, to no avail.
------------------------------------------------------------
Jaguar 72 wrote:

I and the public know
what all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return.
W.H. Auden

"This proverb has proved true,
Since Eve went out with Adam:
For idle hands
And hearts and minds
The Devil finds