Front Page Problem 2011-01-09

Discussion and analysis about certain positions.

Front Page Problem 2011-01-09

Postby Bill Salot on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:17 pm

The Front Page Problem 2011-01-09 was reached in Game #8 of the First International Match (1905) between Great Britain and America. It was Willis Hill's third straight loss to George Buchanan on the first day. In the Match Book, A. J. Heffner showed where Hill missed his last chance to draw.

Independently, W. J. Wray found essentially the same draw and added it to his collection of Bridge problems. His collection ended up in a subsequent edition of Gould's Problem Book.

The solution given the front page of this website is Wray's version. It has one pretty big error.

White's 13th move (11 16) walks into a shot that even a relative beginner should see. The oversight doesn't affect the terms of the problem, but Heffner's analysis avoids it.

I don't find any part of this so-called problem in Boland's Bridges. I think it is less interesting than its history.

Frankly I favor compositions because they usually make game themes better.
Bill Salot

Re: Front Page Problem 2011-01-09

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Bill Salot wrote:Frankly I favor compositions because they usually make game themes better.
Yes. Ideas and themes are brilliants, but composition which handles ideas and themes - brilliants in frame.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Return to Positions