Report of the Irish Open by Igor Martynov

Upload and share images and games amongst fellow checker players.

Report of the Irish Open by Igor Martynov

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Here is the promised report.

Due to its lenghts, diagrams and photos, I had to sent him by file sharing.

Ingo Zachos
QTE-4.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can rent this space for advertising, if you like!
Ingo_Zachos

Re: Report of the Irish Open by Igor Martynov

Postby kiwinurse on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 pm

I couldnt agree more with the report.It is time to revamp the whole system,and scrap the womens.Publicity was nil,and as publicity officer Ingo what did you do to ensure the press was there?Even if you had arranged for an Irish player to ring the press,it would have been have been so simple.
There was no time to look around the beautiful city of Dublin,as we played every day with no break between the Irish open and the qualifier. I can appreciate that cost was involved here,every day counted in that.
Prize money was poor,but if we are getting no publicity or sponsorship what can you expect?But new ideas have to be looked at if checkers is to survive,otherwise less and less attendance will be found at qualifiers.To have a qualifier every year is too much,should be held every second year,then people have time to save for it. Jan Mortimer
kiwinurse

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:33 pm

kiwinurse wrote:....Publicity was nil,and as publicity officer Ingo what did you do to ensure the press was there?Even if you had arranged for an Irish player to ring the press,it would have been have been so simple.

Jan, it might be the fact that I was not in Ireland, as a trip to Ireland is not funded by the WCDF or the Irish organizers.
I paid for my flight to Beijing on my own, did not recieve a free flight ticket, and the British and Irish "officials" that had been given that free flights granted by the Chinese for officials, did not even all used their free flight tickets and did not all show up in Beijing.

I would be more then willing to do the press work, but will you pay for my flight?
Or my accomodation?

Greetinx from Dortmund,

Ingo
Ingo_Zachos

Postby kiwinurse on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:43 pm

It was not a matter of getting flights or being there Ingo,it was just a matter of emailing an Irish player and asking them to contact the press.Would cost you nothing.And the match would be covered.regards Jan
kiwinurse

Postby Ingo_Zachos on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 pm

kiwinurse wrote:It was not a matter of getting flights or being there Ingo,it was just a matter of emailing an Irish player and asking them to contact the press.Would cost you nothing.And the match would be covered.regards Jan

Jan, it was no match.
You played there, you should know.

As well as you know which emails I sent to which players to get something done, despite the fact that I was offline for a while because I had to move.

Jan, may I ask you to take over as PR-officer of the WCDF?

You can prove that it is so easy.

Ingo
Ingo_Zachos

Postby kiwinurse on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Ingo,i realize you do a lot for the WCDF.Sometimes the job's so big you can overlook the little tasks,like contacting a player.I didnt mean to be disrespectful of you,but just to point out how little effort it takes to contact the press.
As far as publicity officer goes,can you tell me the role of Publicity Officer,and what it entails? regards Jan
Last edited by kiwinurse on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwinurse

Postby Eric Strange on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:33 pm

You go Jan!!!
Eric Strange

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm

i think a lot of the time criticism isn't handled very well by organisations ..... (any organisation, i am not talking specifically here)
If somebody critices is because they wish for things to improve. There is a big difference between criticism for its own sake and
the best form of criticism "CONSTRUCTIVE criticism". I believe that past and future organisers should read Mr. Martynov's report
(which as a non-attendee i enjoyed very much) it can only improve the next event.

Ingo, I also think that neither Igor or Jan are having a go at you personally. What they are saying is that things could've been handled better.
And what they want to hear is, something along this line....
"Yes things should have been handled better, we will make a better effort next time" anything else sounds like a lame excuse.
I hope i made a clear enough point here.

On a different note, I think Igor's idea is great . Except i would change the name. Every four years we do a "CHECKERS WORLD CUP".
You can have as many championship matches as you wish in the interim years. But the World Cup is held only every 4 years. The idea is
great and it would help motivate people .

Regards
D. Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 am

WCDF officers responsibilities are defined in BY-LAWS. Link is here:

http://www.usacheckers.com/wcdf.php

For instance ...

3.6.5. The Public Relations Officer (PRO) shall be responsible for obtaining the maximum possible media coverage for events run by the WCDF and for endeavouring to increase the membership of the WCDF.
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby kim willis on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:52 am

I want to say Igor you have said it all and I have to say it was just like you said no time to see ireland. We all were stuck behind closed doors and no one even new we were there. One phone call to the press or tv or radio would not have been that hard to do. Jan and I would have done it if we new that no one had called. As for me I seen rules broken and nothing being done about it. I know that it would have been nice if we could have had a short time to see the sites between tournaments.
As for me I will never attend another WQ. I will not be a victim again. For I as an executive ACF member I would say to everyone that had went to the WQ and irish Open. Come to our Nationals and see how you are treated, Each and everyone would be respected and treated equally. I hope that each and every person that went and particapated in this will stand up and not let this happen again. We all paid 100.00 to the WCDF what did we get? Women and youth were to get 100 euros what did we get 60. How fair is that. And as for the winner Ron King was to be 500 euros got 400. I believe if you state the prize money then it should be given. As for rules, WCDF can make them but also break them as we seen.

kim
kim willis

Postby Alex_Moiseyev on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 am

I read Igor's initial text on Russian and can confirm that here is a little bit softer and more polite version :lol:
I am playing checkers, not chess.
Alex_Moiseyev

Postby Irma Sierra on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 am

Mr. Jay H......you want some popcorn?

just lady.......
Irma Sierra

Postby kiwinurse on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 am

Kims right.Rules were broken,written rules of the WCDF.
kiwinurse

Postby Jay H on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 am

Irma Sierra wrote:Mr. Jay H......you want some popcorn?

Why...thank you very much ,Irma :!:
But,

I have my own.....

Regards

Jay H
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam !!!
Jay H

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:46 am

JohnAcker wrote:This raises a question: why does the ACF need to be in the WCDF anyway?

I have heard this concern voiced over and over in the last two weeks.
I am not american, nor am I european (although if we trace our ancestry back long enough most of us might be, but thats a different topic) what i will say, may or may not hold relevance to you guys. I am trying to add something so we think about this a bit more deeply.
(although i am quoting the bible i am not a deeply religious man)

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

I guess what i am trying to say is this : Unity is strength. In times like this where our beloved game is weak, shouldnt we work through our problems? shouldnt we try to find common ground? what is the best for checkers?

Regards,
D. Alvarez
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Next

Return to Checker Sharing