Looking for DEO Encyclopedia.

Place to put books, transcripts, etc. for sale

Re: Looking for DEO Encyclopedia.

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks for the good advice Alex. I bought it a few days ago.... hoping it is the whole thing. I reckon it's just one or two volumes .... but look at the shipping information.... it gives me hope :) plus they asked for extra shipping because it was too heavy. :D

(ill try to insert pictures here, wish me luck!)

Regards
D. Alvarez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amateur Checkerist, Professional Lover of the Game
Danny_Alvarez

Postby tommyc on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:03 pm

You got a bargain there Danny;;;they are the whole 6 volumes.
Always read "Cannings Compilation 2nd Edition" every day.
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 pm

thanks Tommy I will be holding my breath the next 7 days until it arrives. ... How much for Cannings Compilations? I hope that with the $1000 dollars i saved on the encyclopedia i can afford a copy of your book ;)

cheers

D. Alvarez
Danny_Alvarez

Postby tommyc on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Good luck if its true you got the bargain of the week..........just 50 euro +pp is all it is.In full color too diagrammed positions ,hard back,dust coat,150 + pages etc.

I intend making Cannings Compilations available for down-load soon,so that might suit too and of course cheaper.Im not sure if in black and white or color, might be more easily downloaded.
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:31 pm

i feel great .... it was the whole thing and it arrived finally today.
the dustjackets are a little bit tattered on the edges but the books are pristine, it's almost as if nobody ever read them.
I was hoping for somebody's name to be written on the inside, but alas they are pristine.
i am more excited than Hiro Nakamura when he teleported to New York .... (tv series "Heroes" reference)
DSC03065.JPG

I would like to ask a question that's unrelated to this.
I have been trying to get my hands on some Bakelite Checkers, i havent found red and white but red and yellow (i have seen some in person and they feel beautiful)
are the red and yellow approved for tournament play, I have seen photos of you folks with them but i wasnt sure if it was in tourney play or socially.
I have seen some on the net for 49 , for 79 and 99. does anybody know what a reasonable price for them are?
Cheers,
D. Alvarez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny_Alvarez

Postby tommyc on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW DANNY....................What a scoop............the whole lot my word,what a bargain wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all of DEO s Encyl..boy oh boy.Good luck me Laddie.
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks a lot Tommy I feel quite chummy now I was thinking all through this week, some teenager in america made a mistake and scanne the wrong thing and they will send me just 2 volumes. and then i found the size of them and i got scared cause i was sure that was the case.

But this morning im feeling great.
One a side note somebody with a great knowledge of checkers and an even greater knowledge of checker books told me that there's a seventh volume directed at students.
Could any of you fine gentlemen/ladies enlighten me on the subject?
is this going to steel my thunder and now i find im missing the secret 7th volume??? LOL
Cheers
D. Alvarez
Danny_Alvarez

Postby tommyc on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:49 pm

HMMMMM Danny i dont want to burst your bubble but.......looking at the dust covers of your DEO s Encyls and comparing them to the original one i have (The Plan 132 pages) it may be the case that they are re-prints,mine has a silver/grey and whitish [shaped in squares] dust jacket with a photo of Derek on the back cover.? But its still a copy of the same book in its entirety im sure.

My saying is ........."you cant learn nuthin from the cover" LOL
tommyc

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Mine have those squares too Tommy but on the back is a photo of DEO and a Lady instead (volume 1)

How can i tell the difference? the lighter squares at the front have symbols inside of them. ive been looking on the net and it looks legit but alas, i am no expert.

is there any way to spot a re-print?

D. Alvarez
Danny_Alvarez

Postby Richard Pask on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Dear Danny,

With regard to the '7thVolume', you are referring to DEO's Student Ency, which is a single volume summary of the series running to 200 pages. As such, it serves its purpose admirably but, as Ken Lovell pointed out in his excellent 'Draughts books of the 20th Century', it's no easier to digest than the rest of the series, so the 'Student' aspect is something of a misnomer.

Having numerous spare volumes to hand, a couple of years ago I traded these with the Chess & Bridge shop in Baker Street, London for some chess items. I believe they are selling them for £10 (+ postage), and would be very surprised if they didn't have several copies left. I would emphasise that these are 100% their property now, and they are entitiled to sell them for whatever they wish. Apart from somethat faded covers, they are essentially new, but I'm sure you'd want to confirm their condition with them.

Tel: 020 7388 2404
email: info@chess.co.uk

I pass this on for information only, as it would appear that DEO's Encys are in demand once more.
Richard Pask

Postby Danny_Alvarez on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 pm

Mr Pask thanks for the information, I was in London in september of this year and i went to Madame Tussauds and Regents Park and i must have gone very close if not driven right past that shop but i didn't see it. I had a glorious few days with my family in London and as usual we wished that there was more time.

I will make sure i'll check the website of that store plus when i am in London again i might pop in and check it out.

Regards, and i hope you have a lovely christmas.

D. Alvarez
Danny_Alvarez

Previous

Return to Checkers Books and Equipment